Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Romanian Barbarossa - A 1941 Campaign Pack for BAT!  (Read 4343 times)

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
Romanian Barbarossa - A 1941 Campaign Pack for BAT!
« on: August 13, 2019, 03:34:04 PM »

Yep, another of my campaigns have been converted to BAT/WAW, but this one has mutated a bit:

So this is now a pack with THREE semi-historical, static 12-mission campaign. In each of them you are a fighter pilot in the Romanian Air Force, the ARR. Operation Barbarossa is about to begin and your Escadrila will participate in the recovering of Bessarabia and Bukovina, and later in the drawn-out and costly siege of Odessa. The campaigns are for these fighter aircraft:
  • The Heinkel He-112
  • The PZL P.24E
  • The IAR 80
You can download the campaign here: http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads3&file=details&id=2387

These campaigns are of course essentially variations of a single one, with a small random factor thrown in. You choose which fighter you want to use, and fly that campaign!

I made it into a campaign pack as I saw it as an opportunity to let you fly two other, unfortunately seldom used aircraft - the PZL P.24 and the IAR 80. And in these campaigns, thanks to BAT, you can also see examples of the varied and exotic arsenal that the ARR took to war in 1941, not just these three aircraft but also the Hurricane, Blenheim, He-111, Bf109, PZL 23, PZL 24, Potez 631, Bloch MB.210 and PZL 37!

Some historical facts: Following the outbreak of World War II on 1 September 1939, the Kingdom of Romania officially adopted a position of neutrality. The rapidly changing situation in Europe during 1940, as well as domestic political upheaval, undermined this stance. Fascist political forces rose in popularity and power, urging an alliance with Nazi Germany and its allies. And as the military fortunes of Romania's traditional Allies — France and Britain — crumbled in 1940, the government of Romania turned to Nazi Germany. It wanted to retake territories lost to Stalin the year before, and decided to participate in the invasion of the Soviet Union. It was a huge gamble, with Romania going all-in: the total number of Romanian troops involved on the Eastern Front was second only to that of Germany itself.

Shiny screenies will follow, eventually   ;)

Thanks for looking!  :)
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

Venator77

• Missioneer
Re: Romanian Barbarossa - A 1941 Campaign Pack for BAT!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 05:05:09 PM »

Ooh, looks interesting, might try it.

Toobone

• Mapper
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 07:02:51 AM »

Yep, another of my campaigns have been converted to BAT/WAW, but this one has mutated a bit:
 In each of them you are a fighter pilot in the Romanian Air Force, the ARR. Operation Barbarossa is about to begin and your Escadrila will participate in the recovering of Bessarabia and Bukovina.

It's time to radically upgrade stock Yassy-Odessa maps  to RRR level...

jeanba

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 07:51:30 AM »

Thank's
I'd like to try the Iar80 !

David Prosser

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 09:14:15 AM »

I remember the original one. Must say; that's a pretty weird looking Hurricane. Tell me I don't need to go to an optician.

cheers

David

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 09:25:26 AM »

In each of them you are a fighter pilot in the Romanian Air Force, the ARR. Operation Barbarossa is about to begin and your Escadrila will participate in the recovering of Bessarabia and Bukovina.

That would be nice, of course, but - the map is huge ...
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

EHood

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 07:07:03 PM »

Thank you, Poltava!  ;D It's good to have an He 112 campaign regardless of the "What-If" factor. The second mission in that campaign is an um educational experience. LOL.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
A ya tsi-tsalagi.

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 03:37:53 AM »

Ah, but its not a What-if. The He-112 WAS used by the ARR in combat!  :)

EHood

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 04:49:17 PM »

Ah, but its not a What-if. The He-112 WAS used by the ARR in combat!  :)

Oh, yes! I am well aware of this. In the notes you present on the download page for the campaigns at M4T, you yourself referred to the campaigns as "semi-historical," a matter of necessity given a lack of detailed historical information. Some details of battles involving He 112s, including a battle strongly resembling that in the second mission of your campaign (He 112s v. I-16s near Bulgarica on 22 June 1941) can be found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinkel_He_112_operational_service

I'm also aware that an American P-38 was shot down over North Africa by a Spanish He 112. There's a mission and/or campaign which may also be worth exploring.

I've always enjoyed your penchant for using relatively unknown types in your missions/campaigns. Once again, with many thanks and best wishes....  8)
A ya tsi-tsalagi.

Toobone

• Mapper
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 04:54:59 AM »

That would be nice, of course, but - the map is huge ...

Maybe in VPMediaPack Bessarabia map already fixed by author, somebody know about?
If not, its time to announce a re-texturing contest..just required to hack map from stock,
guess this is not a problem for veteran SAS-modders.. :-[

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 05:36:21 AM »

I've always enjoyed your penchant for using relatively unknown types in your missions/campaigns. Once again, with many thanks and best wishes....  8)

Yes, indeed! And I am always looking for new, unusual subjects for campaigns. Or types that I haven't done myself - I have never done any Mustang, Lightning or Thunderbolt campaigns; I must rectify that, sooner or later!  :)

larschance

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 08:29:06 AM »

Hi Poltava. Thanks for your continued work on updating the campaigns to BAT. Much appreciated and looked forward to.
With the new BAT3.7 and its change from space to underline loadout notations will you have to tweek the campaigns such as Years of Triumph or should they be okay as is.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 28 queries.