Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Understanding the campaign generators  (Read 1018 times)

PaladinX

Understanding the campaign generators
« on: August 13, 2019, 03:24:29 AM »

Dear all,

i have installed BAT (version 3.6.2) and now thinking about how to play campaigns.
I am mainly interested in dynamic and scripted campaigns for WAW (Europe, Pacific).

What i dont understand:

- There seems to be a required update of the DGEN - do i need it to play just the already included campaigns?
- If i want to use the improved Lowengrin DCG, does it work with the included campaigns?
- If i download new user-made campagns from the Forum, do they work both with the standard DGEN and the Lowengrin DCG?

So my thought is: Install in any case the Lowengrin DCG and play everything available (included & downloaded ones), because i dont see the failure or disadvantage of it.

Please give a IL2 dummy the right direction :)

At the end i must say: Thanks to all you modders and creators, who keep this golden piece of simulator alive and make it better than ever.

Thanks,
Jan
Win 11 PC | 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG OLED 42 C2 | Virpil Alpha on War BRD & Warthog Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

whistler

• Modder
Re: Understanding the campaign generators
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 03:49:51 AM »

Hi PaladinX, welcome.

You definitively must install Dgen for B.A.T. - World At War. Follow the instructions to the letter to get hundreds of dynamic campaigns compatible with WAW.

When it comes to dynamic campaign generators it is one or another. You cannot use DGen and Lowengrin's DCG at the same time. Take your time to understand how Lowengrin's DCG is supposed to work. Shakaali provides very good instructions in his posts, check this one, in example.

Static (user-made) campaigns can be downloaded and played right away. No conflicts or side effects. Just make sure to play the campaign in the module it was built for.

I hope this clarifies a few points.
NG-HUD v3.6.1 | NG-MAP v3.2 | NG-CAM v2.0 | NG-PAL v1.2: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/board,93.0.html

Shakaali

• Missioneer
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 03:54:35 AM »

DCG and DGEN are two separate campaign generators.
DCG only works with DCG campaigns and DGEN only works with DGEN campaigns. Every campaign creator always mentions (or at least should mention) campaign requirements in the campaign description.

However, it is quite easy to swap between DCG and DGEN:

Open DCG Main screen.
Select "Replace Career Generator (DGen)" to use DCG.
Unselect "Replace Career Generator (DGen)" to use DGEN.

So, you really should download and install DCG. You should also download DGEN upgrade.
"A truth ceases to be true when more than one person believes in it." -Oscar Wilde

PaladinX

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 04:43:26 AM »

Thank you very much, that clarifies indeed a lot  :)
My learnings:

-Install the DGEN update.
-Install the DCG (i can switch it on and off depending on the campaigns needs)

But, if i understood correctly:
- I can play all campaigns (the included "default" ones, and the user-made ones from the forums) with Lowengrins DCG or DGEN, its my choice. (why do i think so: I think DCG can do what DGEN can do, just improved?) <--maybe im wrong.
- Only if a user-made one from the forum requires escpecially the Lowengrin DCG, then i must use it.

Correct?

Then i will never need any other simulation, BAT will be perfect for all my needs ;D
Win 11 PC | 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG OLED 42 C2 | Virpil Alpha on War BRD & Warthog Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

Shakaali

• Missioneer
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 04:54:20 AM »

But, if i understood correctly:
- I can play all campaigns (the included "default" ones, and the user-made ones from the forums) with Lowengrins DCG or DGEN, its my choice. (why do i think so: I think DCG can do what DGEN can do, just improved?) <--maybe im wrong.

No. DCG and DGEN are totally different. You can not play DGEN campaigns with DCG or vice versa. The game will crash.

"A truth ceases to be true when more than one person believes in it." -Oscar Wilde

Shakaali

• Missioneer
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 05:07:31 AM »

-Install the DGEN update.
-Install the DCG (i can switch it on and off depending on the campaigns needs)

Correct. If you select "Replace Career Generator (DGen)" in DCG, DCG will make a backup of DGEN.exe and replace it by DCG.exe.
If you unselect "Replace Career Generator (DGen)" in DCG, DCG will restore the DGEN.exe.

PaladinX

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 05:17:08 AM »

Ok, thank you for the correction  :)

PaladinX

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 07:49:17 AM »

A new question arises when i see this thread:

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,20872.0.html

When i install/integrate DCG into BAT, replacing DGEN, then it still works only with special DCG campaigns from the forum or with DCG generated new campaigns, right?

The ~750 campaigns delivered with the DGEN update will not work with DCG.

]dontknow[

Barkhorn1x

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 09:56:45 AM »

The ~750 campaigns delivered with the DGEN update will not work with DCG.

]dontknow[

Correct!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 24 queries.