Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Baby Blitz - A Nightfighter campaign for the Mosquito NF  (Read 2230 times)

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
Baby Blitz - A Nightfighter campaign for the Mosquito NF
« on: July 23, 2019, 03:04:09 AM »

And here comes a ALLIED nightfighting campaign, for a change. I have just converted it to BAT, and it's called "Baby Blitz"!

It is a 5-mission static mini-campaign portraying night fighting in the first months of 1944, during the last Luftwaffe bombing campaign against England and London, the so called "Baby Blitz" starting on January 21. You are a RAF pilot in Squadron 157, flying a Mosquito NF MkII.

It can be downloaded here: http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads3&file=details&id=926

A special thanks to Bwf, for his excellent playtesting!

This campaign uses the special "Nachtjagd" map, and also relies heavily on Checkyersix’s famous “Command & Control” MOD, which in practical terms means that you will be guided to your target both by a Ground Controller, and - when you get close enough - an on-board Radar Operator. The instructions will appear as text messages on the screen. If there is to be a real point to this I very strongly suggest that you, when you set the difficulties, select "No Icons" and "No padlock", plus "No Player Map Icons".

This campaign has been built with and for BAT, the WAW module. As the saying goes: If you have BAT 3.62 you have everything you need!

Some gaming hints (just a reminder): In order to use the Radio Beacons (or just listen to the BBC) you have to assign a key for this in the Controls section - "Next / Previous Beacon". Remember that you also need to have sound files in your BBC folder in order to have anything to listen to! Secondly: The Ground Control and your Radar Operator will give you speed in miles and height in feet. You can switch from metric by (again) assigning a key in the Controls section - "Toggle speedbar". Then hit that key in game a few times, and it will cycle through them. And thirdly: Ground Control and your Radar Operator (RO) will give you range, speed, height etc of the closest available target. But beware that your aircraft is also equipped with the "Monica" tail warning radar, that indicates when there is an aircraft in a 120 degree arc BEHIND you. This will only report a simple range (within parenthesis), nothing else.

Historical facts about the so called Baby Blitz (from Wikipedia):

Operation Steinbock was the nocturnal Second World War Luftwaffe offensive operation to destroy British military and civilian targets in southern England, between January and May 1944. The attacks were mainly in and around the Greater London area. In Britain, it was known as the "Baby Blitz", due to the much smaller scale of operations compared to the Luftwaffe's strategic bombing of the British Isles in 1940-1941.

Placed under the command of Generalmajor (Major General) Dietrich Peltz, Luftflotte 3 (Air Fleet 3), the Germans assembled 474 bombers for the offensive. The operation—running parallel to RAF Bomber Command's campaign known as the Battle of Berlin—was launched more for the sake of propaganda and as a measure of retaliation. The operation achieved very little, and the force suffered a loss of some 329 machines during the five months of operations—an average of 82 per month—before it was abandoned. Luftwaffe commanders like Hugo Sperrle had intended to use them against the Western Allies? invasion fleet, which he predicted would land in Northern France in the summer, 1944. Eventually, the revenge bombings were scaled down in favour to disruption attacks aimed against the impending Allied invasion of France. But "Steinbock" had worn out the German bomber fleet to the extent it could not deliver significant counter blows any longer. Yet another counter-productive German effort.

The offensive marked the Luftwaffe's Kampfgruppen last large-scale bombing operation against England, and afterward only the V1 cruise missiles and V2 ballistic rockets were used for hitting the British Isles.

Thanks for looking, and happy hunting!  :)
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

CDS025_DOGO

• Saludos Camaradas
Re: Baby Blitz - A Nightfighter campaign for the Mosquito NF
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 09:10:24 PM »

Interesting, I haven't even flown a night mission, this could be the first.
thanks Poltava for your work  :)

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 01:41:36 AM »

Flying as a nightfighter, with pretty much full realism, is a new experience, I promise you. Almost feels as a different game! :)
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

j.vandeinsen

• Zet m pp witte muizen!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 01:14:20 AM »

Downloaded it! Thanks, i am going to try it out and see if nightfighting is something for me

rollnloop

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 05:07:09 PM »

This campaign so far (2 missions in) is a BLAST.  ]thumbsup[

I'm flying with map icons on, player map icon on. I find radio operator is excellent to help you finely guide your nose onto target, and radar control gives good BRA (bearing range angels), but it lacks some good intercept directions. Using minimap icons helps choosing the right intercept course, and since icons and padlock are disabled, it's still very hard and very rewarding to actually find a target and fire at it.

On first mission one of my targets returned fire efficiently and I had to land on one engine, some of my targets evade, some don't, I get help from searchlights at times, that's really, really cool.

My only grip is with De Havilland designers, I could have used an ILS to better calibrate my approach  :P

Also the C&C messages are too bright in color and it hampers my night vision, I don't know if I can tune this ?

Thanks a lot for this one, I'm hooked  ]cheers[

Edit: finished it, really it was great, thanks a lot for this BAT campaign  ]cheers[

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 01:06:55 PM »

Thanks for the appreciation! Yes, nightfighting in IL-2 is almost a new game!  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 25 queries.