Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Small performance Fix for Canon's Channel map Version 2 (final). (20-06-2010)  (Read 18350 times)

StG77_HaDeS

• Character is destiny
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Act quickly,think slowly
    • IL2 FREE Mods for the IL2 On-Line Community

Hello all, :)

I have lowered all the 24bit textures that didn't have layers to the game's native 8bit color depth and this improves performance to a degree.
To use the following download you must have installed Canons map. If you are an UP user DO NOT download this. The UP has its own installer for this fix.
Extract the contents according to Cannon's file structure.

EDIT:
The following links contain the Version 2 (and last) with more tweaked textures of Canon's map for better performance.

Download Version 2 from Filefront

Download Version 2 from Mediafire

To unzip the file you will need 7zip. Its Open source and free:
http://www.7-zip.org/

Enjoy!, :)

philip.ed

• The Real Dim Shady
  • Guess who's back?
Re: Small performance Fix for Canon's Channel map.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 01:42:52 PM »

SO why can't UP users d/l this? I prefer a manual install myself ;)

StG77_HaDeS

• Character is destiny
  • SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 02:28:49 PM »

Because the file structure of UP uses the Files folder while the stand-alone canons map uses the MODS one ;)

philip.ed

• The Real Dim Shady
  • Guess who's back?
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 02:29:54 PM »

Ah OK ;) Thanks ;)

StG77_HaDeS

• Character is destiny
  • SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 05:40:42 AM »

Unfortunately the map has so many 24bit objects having alpha-layers and i cannot do anything more than i have done already. It is a small performance boost, but it was the max i could do.

Cheers :)

SAS~Anto

• Aussie Bush Pilot
  • Editor
  • Retired from modding
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 05:58:27 AM »

I believe the alpha-layer issue is mainly to do with the 'destroyed' version of buildings. It is less costly performance wise to use an alpha layer than more polys to make the damage.

What Cannon's map needs in addition to this 8bit patch is a reduced actors versions, whilst the 352nd one needs actors!

shardana

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 06:57:52 AM »

Hi all, I'd really love to be able to fly on cannon's map but unfortunately my vaio 8400 gt gpu seems to suffer a bit with it. anything useful to make this map lighter is very welcome!!

StG77_HaDeS

• Character is destiny
  • SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 09:48:56 AM »

I believe the alpha-layer issue is mainly to do with the 'destroyed' version of buildings. It is less costly performance wise to use an alpha layer than more polys to make the damage.

Yes but many non-destroyed version of buildings have alpha layers such Eiffel tower, and other landscape textures. Not to metnion the airfields that because they are too many and different types the game loads 90 of them at a total cost of around 300MB of textures!
A true performance killer. That's why we need STC3 and modified executables in order to run the map. Its them most memory and resource consuming map i ever seen. A true performance killer. It makes me sad because it is nicely done.

What Cannon's map needs in addition to this 8bit patch is a reduced actors versions, whilst the 352nd one needs actors!

True, but the 352nd map is fully playable and it performs quite well in multiplayer. Especially the upcoming version of it. maybe it will be out tomorrow :)

Cheers, :)

philip.ed

• The Real Dim Shady
  • Guess who's back?
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 09:55:57 AM »

Actually, the 35nd map could do with edited tree-tga's. I find that the current ones have too many trees, and down-low the performace is poor.

canonuk

• Canons Skins - textures for Il-2
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 02:10:43 PM »

Not to metnion the airfields that because they are too many and different types the game loads 90 of them at a total cost of around 300MB of textures!
A true performance killer. That's why we need STC3 and modified executables in order to run the map. Its them most memory and resource consuming map i ever seen. A true performance killer. It makes me sad because it is nicely done.

Yes, I agree that the way I've done airfields causes a massive impact on performance. It's probably the main reason my map plays slowly on some systems. But I am currently redoing all the airfields with regular runway plates, so it will do away with those large textures.

Joe

Nicholaiovitch

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 03:16:19 PM »

I fly with a small squad that is fortunate enough to all have dual core (modest....mine is an E8400) or better CPUs and as a result we just love the Canon Channel map as it is, with many missions both MDS and some co-op built and used all the time.

I fully understand the need to help out with those that have performance issues, but please..... please do not delete these lovely heavily textured Canon maps that we use every week from UP201. "Adding" separate  reduced textured maps will I hope be the way without the need to delete these works of art.

Nicholaiovitch :o

StG77_HaDeS

• Character is destiny
  • SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 06:25:26 PM »

There are NO "reduced" textures. Game utilizes up to 256 colors. The 24bit color depth are for textures that have Alpha channels. Don't worry the qality is the same.

BTW, the UP installer for 352nds final version and for Canons Channel map has been released ;)

http://ultrapack.tuttovola.org/index.php/topic,2634.msg25192/topicseen.html#msg25192

P.S.
The above link is ONLY for UP users.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 21 queries.