Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Joystick Not Working in CoD  (Read 1558 times)

NavyAce

Joystick Not Working in CoD
« on: May 16, 2019, 09:09:30 PM »

Hi,

I have, after a long procrastination, finally installed the gift CD of CoD to my Windows 10 Cyberpower gaming PC with a fresh install of Steam and all the updates. I got it to run and then installed the Blitz edition which came with the original install and got that working. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get my joystick working with the game, although when I go to the control section I find that my controller, the Thrustmaster T.16000, is being recognized. I have tried going to the controls section where axis can be assigned, but when I click on the Axis tab and highlight a line that I want assigned, nothing changes when I move the stick to indicate that the assignment has been accepted. I have tried this with all three control axis plus my throttle control and nothing takes. I can only control my airplane with the keyboard, which basically makes the game unplayable. Has anyone else had this problem? If so how have you fixed it? Thanks for your attention.

NavyAce

NavyAce

Re: Joystick Not Working in CoD
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 09:34:21 AM »

I found the answer thanks to a reply I got from the editor of PC Pilot magazine.  Start the sim and then go to Options and then Controls. After highlighting the axis you want to assign click the Change button in the lower left hand corner. You will see a pop up box appear called Set Controls. Wiggle the axis you want to assign and you should see the name of your device appear. Click OK and then save by clicking Apply in the lower right hand corner. It's easy once you know the drill. It would have been nice if the game came with some instructions. Because of this I have run into some other problems which I will address in a separate post.

NavyAce

Quietman

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 12:12:49 PM »

Additional info on this.

Windows 10+ will turn of power to USB devices to "save power". This can cause Win10 to lose the joystick and reassign it, causing COD to lose it. This is the default setting By MS. Since laptops are now more prevalent than desktops, most of the Win10/11 default settings are geared towards laptops.

So besides the info NavyAce provided, here's what else you need to do.

Right click on the Windows icon on your task bar and choose Device Manager.
Expand the Human interface Device section.
Right click on each USB input device listing and select Properties
In the Properties Window, select the Power Management tab
Uncheck the Allow computer to turn off this device to save power option
Click OK
Since the devices are not labeled, but given a generic name, do this for each of the listings labeled USB input device

Now you are halfway there.
(Note: possibility this may only apply to boards with USB3, but don't have an older one to check this on)
Scroll to the Universal Serial Bus Controllers listing and expand it.
Now you will modify the USB eXtensible host controllers (will say Intel or AMD depending on your chipset)
Right click on each USB eXtensible host controller listing and select Properties
In the Properties Window, select the Power Management tab
Uncheck the Allow computer to turn off this device to save power option
Click OK
Repeat for each eXtensible controller

Close the Device Manager

Now go do what NavyAce said. You will not only need to do what he said with the axes, but with any buttons / switches you want to assign to your joystick.

After hitting Apply, CoD throws you back out to the Menu. Click on controls again and then click on Save As and save the configuration under a name you'll remember. Since my joystick is a Logitech, that's what I called my file.

Haven't had to see if this will survive a Windows update, but here you go for now. Will come back and add to this if I learn additional necessary info.

SAS~tsisqua

• Tsisqua Tsigawonisgi, but you can call me Bird!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 06:15:08 PM »

Quietman,
   Here I am , thanking you again.

You are a much-needed addition to our site, and to our game. I know the old-timers when I see them: they are great helpers.
Thank you, and stay here with our teams. We all want to keep the vision alive.

Bird
"When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite." Winston Churchill
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 24 queries.