Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dynamic control (no waypoints) of entire bomber squadron  (Read 1626 times)

cbradbury

dynamic control (no waypoints) of entire bomber squadron
« on: April 25, 2019, 11:28:07 PM »

I have developed a method of leading an entire bomber or torpedo squadron (latest version of BAT) with only three waypoints local to the home airfield. After takeoff the whole squadron forms up on your aircraft and can be freely led anywhere on the map, attack a target with all 16 aircraft, then return home to land with no need for enroute or ground attack waypoints in the mission.

Am I just late to the party here? Are all mission designers already doing this? I mention it as I have not seen any specific dedicated thread on how to achieve this.

Knochenlutscher

• Flying Ass Clown #10
  • Modder
  • aka Segfej
Re: dynamic control (no waypoints) of entire bomber squadron
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 12:13:50 AM »

Sounds lucky, I have it they sorta do half baked attacks,
not even droppin a thing, then returning home.
On some Missions, I'm refused control of the squad from
Point blank, ...
Wiseman : "Did you speak the exact words?" Ash : "Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah."

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 08:52:38 AM »

I fail to understand what exactly you are doing in FMB, cbradbury.

can you describe or post samples, screenshots, maybe?

Venator77

• Missioneer
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 10:10:04 AM »

I have developed a method of leading an entire bomber or torpedo squadron (latest version of BAT) with only three waypoints local to the home airfield. After takeoff the whole squadron forms up on your aircraft and can be freely led anywhere on the map, attack a target with all 16 aircraft, then return home to land with no need for enroute or ground attack waypoints in the mission.

Am I just late to the party here? Are all mission designers already doing this? I mention it as I have not seen any specific dedicated thread on how to achieve this.

Please specify what you are doing. I am really interested in this.

cbradbury

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 02:29:10 PM »

It would be a long post, but I do have notes (not too comprehensive yet) and a sample mission for WAW3 which can be found here:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/h4ug9e2jwh6z8bc/Squadron_Command.7z/file

It has worked every time I've tried it so far...

Yours,

Clive

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 11:43:51 PM »

Note that there's been a very important change in AI concerning ground attack waypoints in BAT 3.6.
Prior to that, AI had a nasty tendency to either ignore ground attack waypoints completely, drop a single bomb only, or circle above the target (or any combination of the three).
That's fixed now and this might explain why a simplified mission works.
On the other hand, if there is no attack waypoint and/or no target set for your flight, it should not attack anything at all.

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

cbradbury

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 01:01:33 AM »

Hi Mike,

the method above simply uses the 'drop bombs on my command' instruction. If the squadron is together all aircraft drop when you drop, irrespective of a ground attack waypoint. Still early days, but it has worked for me so far. Hopefully other people will use my notes and test further.

For torpedo squadrons, I used 'padlock -'attack my target' or the 'attack ships' order which also seems to work (although I've not tried this much - been concentrating on the level bombing aspect).

The biggest improvement I can see is that flights do now tend to mostly obey their instructions.

Clive

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 01:43:39 AM »

You can padlock any ground target (green arrow in the pic) and tell any flights in your squadron to attack that target, when they've finished you have to issue a rejoin command. In single mission your player must be in Plane1 of Squadron 1 / Flight 1, in campaigns you must have the highest rank. This is how the sim always worked.

If there's a ground attack waypoint with a target selected the attack is automatic, if there's no target then they simply drop their bombs when they reach the ground attack waypoint.

Imho you need at least 4 waypoints otherwise your planes will go into landing mode right after the second waypoint and will ignore attacking fighters and commands from you. This is how I set up a ground attack mission in QMB:

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 01:49:35 AM »

Btw as long as there are targets in range you can also issue general ground attack commands such as 'attack armor' or 'attack flak'. In that case there's no need for padlock.

cbradbury

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 06:39:53 AM »

Yes, I've encountered the landing problem. I solved it by making sure that waypoint 2 was some distance away, which gives the flights time to fall in with you. 4 waypoints is a better idea, I think.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 26 queries.