Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: How does everyone feel about the game at this point?  (Read 7130 times)

sixstrings

Re: How does everyone feel about the game at this point?
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2019, 08:12:31 PM »

Think i'll just stick with IL-2 1946 ,CFS3 and WOFF. All these are great single player sims. They are as realistic as i want. The flight models and AI are good enough.The updates and mods are many and free. Cost is very little for such entertainment . Started playing combat flight simulators many years ago and it's been a while since a good sim has been released. I have hope that these great sims i've mentioned live on for quite a while longer. Regards,Scott

Barkhorn1x

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2019, 12:39:30 PM »

I put it on the shelf until both Bodenplatte and Flying Circus are released.

That stated:
1. Agree on the AI and hope there are some improvements by the time both modules are fully released.

2. What bugs me almost as much are the "Flight Leader" comms.  Multiple key combos for each comm.,  WTF?
Would it have killed the devs to use the same "Tab/Menu/Sub menu routine used as far back as EAW and replicated by Il-2 1946, CFS, F4 and Strike Fighters?
EVERY flight sim vet knows that drill - EVERYONE.
That shit was not broken so WHY...?!?!

vonFalke

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2019, 01:34:21 PM »

I´ve flown this sim for many hours, but eventualy got tirred of it and returned to 1946. If you wish to play multiplayer, than Its good. But In Single-player its just dissapointing (Bad AI, poor coms, customization , performance issues etc.). Its really shamefull because I actually liked Its Career mode. I really hope that there will be some positive change in SP area. Until then, I gonna stick to classic.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2019, 12:01:05 AM »

When did you guys play IL-2 Great Battles the last time?
Granted, AI still has it's issues but there are quite some improvements already.
Ace AI is a challenge on most of the aircraft.
Single player performance issues? Can't think of any.

In contrast, multiplayer is where the game suffers the most IMHO.
Apart from pure PvP "gangbang" missions, there isn't much to offer for multiplayer server operators because of the limited mission complexity.
16 AI bombers in the air = Any Multiplayer Server gets overloaded.
20 ships = same, overloaded.
And the more ground objects, vehicles etc. you put on a mission, the lower the numbers for simultaneous AI planes, ships etc. become.
That's the biggest nuisance to me at the moment because coop style multiplayer missions essentially are limited to pretty basic, single task, "do this and then the mission is over" style combat at the moment.

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Squashman

• Modder
  • I am Spartacus
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2019, 05:11:00 AM »

How do I feel about the game at this point?!!
My answer is completely unambiguous; absolutely thrilled and delighted.
Maybe my standards are lower than some but for me Great Battles is the premier WWII flight-sim bar none, especially after the latest patch.
I say this despite huge disappointment over the thwarted foray into the Pacific by 1C studios.

The VR experience in Great Battles, imho, is also excellent and noticeably better than DCS (if only we could have VR in IL2 1946). The immersion factor with Great Battles in VR is, again imho, about as good as it could get, because you obviously had to look around a lot in WWII air combat - for example physically looking over your shoulder to observe the explosions from your low level bombing run, is so intuitive and simple that other in-game views such as switching cameras and such-like feels very clumsy and distracting.

The trouble is, despite being fairly ancient myself and well past retirement age, I still work practically full time, so the few spare hours I have, evenings and weekends, that I can devote to mapbuilding and generally tinkering with 46, are at the moment spent in deep immersion in the skies over the Rhineland, so I get nothing else done.
The P51 gyro gun-sight is an absolute highlight and a personal favourite of mine; and the aircraft damage models are excellent; and the ..... well I won't go on  ;D

As for dumb AI, well I have a heck of a job to nail em with any ease.

Only one real niggle, the depiction of the towns and cities, while technically superb, is poorly designed - the boundaries between buildings and countryside are far too sharp and when flying low down, unlike the general terrain, it looks fake. But I'm sure this will be addressed as the game evolves.
Overall however, the maps are superb. Still say it would have been so much easier for the 1C mapbuilders to make Midway or the Solomons, but maybe one day.

Squash ]salut[

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2019, 01:09:28 PM »

For me even though I am having some FPS issues since the last update the GB series is certainly leading the way as far as this genre is concerned, there will always be issues for any sim/game of this nature because it is impossible for the development team to make it run effectively for all of us as you could for a console. ;)

Any critique I have needs to be tempered with the above in mind when my own install gives me problems as usually the development team do try and take on board most reported issues and try and at least improve things even if they cannot eliminate the problems some of us experience.

I cannot down the AI either, good or bad they all out fly and fight me and I gave up counting the times I was ganged up on by 109's that seem to appear from nowhere when I fly in the career mode, like the game has decided it is time for me to die, nothing changed from IL-2 1946 in that respect. :D

Graphically it is great in most respects and the detail is superb as far as aircraft, textures and the built up areas go although I suppose we would all like more detail added to the Rhineland map the consequences for playability have to be taken into account for such a large area, even on the Arras map which is smaller yet I think more detailed in many respects there are hang ups for me, not major but there all the same and my machine is reasonably good I think.

I do not use VR or play online, both I understand have their own issues, however, most of us are single player users so providing we moderate our expectations to some degree there is no reason not to enjoy this series.

Just go and buy it I say, there will be something for all, with TC and FC having been added and hopefully still to be so further into more modules you get a bit of everything and that is to be applauded from such a small team, although I really do wish Jason would stop reminding us of that, it gets boring.

Take care.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

sniperton

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2019, 04:11:47 PM »

How do I feel? Mixed. I know GB is the future, and 1946 is the past, bit I feel it's simply not up to my expectations.

Hard to explain. In my limited flight time I fly Il-2 GB exclusively. This is fact one. There are so many new things to learn, and I enjoy learning. And it's beautiful, and detailed, etc, etc., which is incomparably superior to the old game.

What I miss is the feel. The feel of being there. The landscape is superb, the plane models are superb, everything is superb, but I simply don't feel it's real. It's just a simulation for me, a very good one, but just a simulation. In contrast, 1946 or CLoD were not good simulations, but they made me believe I was there.

Making a landscape feel real is art. This is where GB fails for me. GB is just technology, superb as it is, but flying over Sochi or the Rheinland doesn't touch me as it did over Tulagi or Finland. Maybe my fault, to be sure.

Squashman

• Modder
  • I am Spartacus
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2019, 05:05:21 AM »

I know GB is the future, and 1946 is the past, bit I feel it's simply not up to my expectations.

Hard to explain. In my limited flight time I fly Il-2 GB exclusively. This is fact one. There are so many new things to learn, and I enjoy learning. And it's beautiful, and detailed, etc, etc., which is incomparably superior to the old game.

What I miss is the feel. The feel of being there. The landscape is superb, the plane models are superb, everything is superb, but I simply don't feel it's real. It's just a simulation for me, a very good one, but just a simulation. In contrast, 1946 or CLoD were not good simulations, but they made me believe I was there.

Making a landscape feel real is art. This is where GB fails for me. GB is just technology, superb as it is, but flying over Sochi or the Rheinland doesn't touch me as it did over Tulagi or Finland. Maybe my fault, to be sure.
Surely the great thing is that we can have both IL2 46 and IL2 GB  ;D - and CoD (eagerly awaiting v5.0)
As you say, on a graphical level GB is amazing, and I personally revel in the immersion that brings, but I can not imagine life without a fully up to date install of BAT on my hard drive.
IL246 is still a vibrant and exciting sim with a breadth and scope not found elsewhere and who knows, with tech people like Mike Storebror, Slibenly, Whistler and many others on board (sorry not to list all of you), who are pushing the graphics and performance, there is time yet for it to continue to improve and grow.

sniperton

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2019, 05:03:06 PM »

I'd say Il-2 GB is unbalanced. I returned to it just now, after not having played anything since May or so. So I have a historical perspective, so to say.
What astonished me now is how crap the clouds are. They're candy-floss, whirling candy-floss, and planes are still flickering in front of them, contours get blurry, and icons partially hide behind anything that can hide them, so that you see something, get closer, and loose it from sight until it re-appears somewhere else. Visually, it's a mess, or at least it doesn't make sense as a game.
So despite the promising and accurate eye candy we have, GB is a misch-masch for me, and I don't give a fuck on how faithful the bar on the Fw is rendered, as lomg as gameplay is hindered by not-seeing your enemy.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2019, 11:33:00 PM »

The cloud issue has been freaking out players for a long time, but if that's what bugs you out on IL-2 Great Battles, then you will love to hear that it's being addressed right now.
Read: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/168-developer-diary/page/6/?tab=comments#comment-833933

]cheers[
Mike

sniperton

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2019, 02:44:26 AM »

Yep, I have read it, and I look forward to it, and the current state doesn't freak me out, I switch off clouds in SP as you do on the FAC server.

It was just shocking to see after a long abstinance that the cloud issue has become actually even worse than it was before the recent patches.

What I meant with "visual mess" is mostly related to the icons. Icons are still not blocked by the airframe, but they are partially or fully masked out behind a thin cloud layer or the leaves on trees, there's no transitioning or fading out, just sudden apparitions and disappearances, it's something like a "choose a card, any card" game now.

Icons make little sense the way they are currently, and I don't see any clear concept behind the development of gaming visuals. They're haphazardly trying this, trying that. Some day all this may aggregate into something meaningful, but that day won't be very soon, I'm afraid.

Anyway, whoever doesn't have GB yet, it's high time to get BoM, BoS, and BoK now:
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,62570.0.html

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2019, 02:59:54 AM »

I think that's a tad too negative and honestly, the cloud issue has been the same during the past 3 years or so.
As much as Icons are concerned, the reason why they're not blocked by airframe is probably that icons are supposed to "help" people in dogfights.
For instance the aiming assist (esp. bombs/rockets) would be completely meaningless if blocked by the airframe.
There'll always be room for improvements, but your latest "it's all shit and worse than before" statements (that's what they come across to me at least) don't do the game any justice if you ask me.
Many things have improved a lot, actually too many to name them all.

]cheers[
Mike
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 26 queries.