Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Other CH Products users having problems?  (Read 1528 times)

WxTech

• Modder
Other CH Products users having problems?
« on: April 10, 2019, 07:31:26 PM »

Still waiting for my ordered monitor before setting up my new computer.

In the meantime, still using my Win 7 Home-based system. For years I've often had to do a couple or few computer restarts in order to have the CH Control Manager software 'see' the controllers (the three more indicators would all be greyed out.) Sometimes I could go a number of first-time startups and all would be fine. But more often than not at least one restart would be necessary.

Just now I've gone through eleven (!) restarts, to no avail. (Note that at all times during the boot-up the controller LEDs cycle as they normally should. And Windoze's Device Manager says the hardware is working properly, except for one 'unknown' CH controller, which I presume to be the required (virtual??) 'device' that's causing my grief.)

I've read how for Win 10 this kind of problem is even worse, due to the CH idiots not hiring anyone to update their software.

Makes me wonder if I should ditch CH, and perhaps take the financial hit and get a Warthog setup. If I do, I wonder how my home-made pedal might have to be modded, due to having taken out the guts taken from the CH pedal.

I've been exclusively a CH customer since about 1994. Pisses me off to face the potential of having to abandon what has mostly worked well and that which I have gotten used to.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

vonofterdingen

• Missioneer
Re: Other CH Products users having problems?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 10:22:18 PM »

I too have been using CH gear for years. Some time ago the Control Manager software stopped working due to a Windows 10 update I think. My controller still works without the software except for the control panel. That is now a paper weight and no longer for sale. The CH Products forum has shut down. Time to move on. It is too bad because I was very happy with the products.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 11:34:34 PM »

I've been reading on some forums home again that some folk have been able to keep their CH gear working in Win 10. One trick is to go to device manager and turn off the option for each USB device that turns them off to save power. Another is to wait a couple of minutes after starting the computer before starting CH Control Manager. Another is so set the Control Manager .exe to run in compatibility mode for an earlier OS.

The thing is that it appears to be a bit hit and miss whether one will succeed.

I won't know how it'll go for me 'til I get the new system up 'n running...

At the moment, I've been coming within a whisker of hitting the buy button on the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS pair and their cheap pedals. Why cheap out on the latter? I really need only the electronics, for best compatibility (in case of wanting to gang up devices to appear as a single controller, for instance.) I'd DIY up a new mechanism that provides a much wider foot separation, as well as superior smoothness, robustness and longevity.)

But I'm just barely holding off on making that purchase! I really should give my beloved CH stuff (and my current DIY pedal made back in '94) the good old college try.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

DougW60

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 05:26:17 PM »

Notice that CH has not updated its control center since before Windows 10 came out.  The reason, I suspect, is that Windows 10 has its own game controller settings.  I use the Windows game controller, it works, have not had any problems.  There is a Youtube video that helps guide you through setting it up.   It has been a couple of years since I set up my controllers so I am unable to tell how I did everything.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 01:52:02 AM »

Got my monitor yesterday, set up the computer today (mostly).

Downloaded the latest Control Manager, then proceeded to install it *before* plugging in the controllers (didn't refamiliarize myself with the procedure.) Decided to go ahead anyway and test the devices through the Manager, and lo and behold! Recognized; whereupon I calibrated them. Have yet to copy over my profile from the old PC (don't want to re-create all that stuff), and will see if it can be downloaded into the controllers and utilized.

Fingers crossed...

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 05:41:27 PM »

... Well, one hiccup. IL-2 is not recognizing the rudder. CH Manager sees all three controllers, and I can calibrate them. Windows says all is fine. But neither '46 nor Il-2 Joy Control see the rudder--only the stick and throttle.

Any hints on how to overcome this?

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 07:01:34 PM »

OK, glitch mastered. Turned out that in the list of controllers the two Thrustmaster MFDs were at the top of the list, putting the last and fifth--the pedals--out of consideration due to IL-2's limit of four controllers. I simply unplugged the MFDs, as I've not yet begun to use them anyway. If I wish to bulk up my controller count, I'll have to merge the HOTAS trio into one within CH Manager, so as to appear to the system as but a single entity, thus freeing up three spaces.

[ADDED IN EDIT, FOR CLARITY]

With all my controllers plugged in, the list as it first appeared (spelling NOT correct):

Thrustmaster MFD1
Thrustmaster MFD2
CH Throttle
CH Stick
CH Rudder

With IL-2's controller limit of 4, that last one was not 'seen'. I simply unplugged the (not yet in use) MFDs.

If and when I get round to combining all 3 CH devices into 1, such a list would appear something like (again, spelling NOT correct):

Thrustmaster MFD1
Thrustmaster MFD2
CH Controller

No problems there.

vonofterdingen

• Missioneer
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 11:33:43 PM »

I will  have to  try installing the manager software again. What version are you using? I would love to have the multifunction panel working again.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 11:46:07 AM »

I downloaded the latest (which is pretty old, now ;) ) version of Control Manager.

As noted, I installed it *before* plugging in any controllers, which is opposite of what is recommended. No idea if this makes any difference, but it nonetheless worked.

Upon first running, it did not 'see' any of my .map profiles that I had copied over from my older computer (didn't want to re-create all that work again!) To get around this, I set the software to run in compatibility mode Win XP SP3.

I also disabled Windoze's option to turn off USB devices to save power, one by one, for all.

So far, working like a champ. Knock on wood--my head being the nearest to hand. ;)

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 11:57:51 AM »

Repeating and expanding upon an earlier (similarly edited, but might be overlooked) post, to make things clearer...

OK, glitch mastered. Turned out that in the list of controllers the two Thrustmaster MFDs were at the top of the list, putting the last and fifth--the pedals--out of consideration due to IL-2's limit of four controllers. I simply unplugged the MFDs, as I've not yet begun to use them anyway. If I wish to bulk up my controller count, I'll have to merge the HOTAS trio into one within CH Manager, so as to appear to the system as but a single entity, thus freeing up three spaces.

[ADDED IN EDIT, FOR CLARITY]

With all my controllers plugged in, the list as it first appeared (spelling NOT correct):

Thrustmaster MFD1
Thrustmaster MFD2
CH Throttle
CH Stick
CH Rudder

With IL-2's controller limit of 4, that last one was not 'seen'. I simply unplugged the (not yet in use) MFDs.

If and when I get round to combining all 3 CH devices into 1, such a list would appear something like (again, spelling NOT correct):

Thrustmaster MFD1
Thrustmaster MFD2
CH Controller

No problems there.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 06:57:20 AM »

After a few cold starts, all is still OK. Hoping a Windoze update doesn't throw a spanner into the works...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 26 queries.