Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flickering High Altitude Contrails  (Read 393 times)

Tangmere1742

Flickering High Altitude Contrails
« on: April 02, 2019, 11:25:20 AM »

Whenever I use more than four of five B-17s or B-24s over 7000m altitude the contrails that form begin to become distorted and flicker.

I've tried a number of visual mods and experimented with the graphics settings but nothing seems to cure it. No noticeable drop in fps.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? 

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
Re: Flickering High Altitude Contrails
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 11:55:00 AM »

Run the same mission in the stock game, if the contrails are still flickering its because of your hardware/graphics settings, if not the error is in the effect file and it needs to be reverted to the stock version.

Tangmere1742

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 10:49:19 AM »

Thanks

I've run the stock game and the contrails appear fine at high altitudes so it appears the fault is in the effects file.

I'm unsure as to how to proceed, any information on how the effect file can be reverted to the stock version?

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 12:26:51 AM »

The following relies on my probably defective memory! The effect file might actually have a different name than I'm reporting below; if so, I'd then be mistakenly referring to the effect that makes wingtip vortices. Someone should soon correct me if indeed I'm wrong.

If you have an effects mod that includes the effect called Condensate.eff, you would only need to rename it to -Condensate.eff. Placing a "-" character at the start of any mod file name renders it not readable by the game, meaning it will use the stock file instead.

If memory serves, you would look in:

MODS/3do/effects/Aircraft/Condensate.eff.

I think your problem likely arises from the mod effect using particle effects, which render a string of *lots* of individual, roughly circular smoke blobs. The stock effect uses longer bar-like graphics, making up a segmented line that uses *far fewer* individual elements. Remember that the game suffers a limit to how many individual discrete graphical elements can be drawn before chopping some out in an intermittent fashion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.012 seconds with 25 queries.