Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: FINALLY upgraded to TrackIR (and a new comp coming together)  (Read 2820 times)

WxTech

• Modder
Re: FINALLY upgraded to TrackIR (and a new comp coming together)
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 02:42:19 PM »

Gets me to wondering. How many TrackIR users go with the Track Clip Pro right outta the gate? Or upgrade to it after using the basic hat clip for a while?

I don't see how a light emitting device is fundamentally different to reflective spots *in terms of the tracking smoothness and precision*. While the reflecting tape makes for larger patches in the camera image, centroid calculation quite adequately compensates. If there is a difference in the ability to discriminate the emitting sources from background room lighting, then that's about the only benefit I might ascribe to active light emitters.

In one respect does the geometry of the clips differ notably, as seen from the camera's POV. For the hat clip, the centered geometry of the three spots is triangular. For the Pro clip the spots form a vertical line when centered.

To a lesser degree, a difference arises in the side view of each device, whereby for the Pro clip there is a smaller range in distance among the three emitters as measured along the sight line toward the camera. This would imply a larger range in head nodding (panning up-down) before self masking of one light by another occurs. But with the cheaper clip, there already is adequate range in vertical tilt before any such masking occurs. For the Pro Clip, the side mounting does introduce the potential for masking by one's face, thus demanding some minimum mounting distance away from the side of one's head; slim headphones could be problematic.

Last, the Pro Clip requires power, with the result that an additional cable runs from noggin to computer. Running this cable along the headphone cable cleans things up, but there remains increased cable mass and stiffness.

In short, I see no great advantage to the Pro Clip. Anyone who's used both clips have any input?
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

Gubi

• Flying Ass Clown #34
  • Modder
  • RIP
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2019, 03:06:12 PM »

Shit...You sound like me.  Cheers and prost.
I am a moron.

Gubi

• Flying Ass Clown #34
  • Modder
  • RIP
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2019, 03:07:43 PM »

...I just taped it on so that it would work.  For real
I am a moron.

SkyHigh

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2019, 04:18:41 PM »

I have used the hat clip, but found the DelanClip to be an improvement for me, although I would not be in as light-sheltered a room, by any means. I find the latter device is more stable for me and I have to re-centre far less often. Incidentally, my Delan Clip runs via an attached AA battery, so no extra cable.

BalDaddy

• Old Scroat
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2019, 04:35:04 AM »

Anybody remember TrackIR early version with the self-adhesive reflective dots one applied to one's forehead?
I had a cluster on my brow, forgot they were still affixed, went to the pub after an IL2 session. Fellow drinkers thought I had joined a cult.

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2019, 05:51:51 AM »

... yep, I remember, but what I did was remove the glasses on an old cycling pair of glasses and stick the reflector on the bridge between the two eyes ...  ;)

Now I am using the cap+clip with my TrackIR 5, and wouldn't even dream of flying without it ...  ;)

I am so used to using a TrackIR that when I for ex watch an IL2 video on youtube, I can't prevent myself from turning my head left and right or up and down, but of course to no avail ...!  :D

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2019, 12:18:56 PM »

Mick,
My neck also wants to engage its swivel when watching vids!
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

blackshark

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 06:53:31 AM »

I am so used to using a TrackIR that when I for ex watch an IL2 video on youtube, I can't prevent myself from turning my head left and right or up and down, but of course to no avail ...!  :D

Ahahah ... me too  :)

And when i make a pause during an il2 session I often go around in home without remembering i have it on my head ... much fun for my son  :)

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2019, 07:09:06 AM »

To give an idea just how sensitive and 'twitchy' my profile is...

Once when starting up I forgot to select my own custom profile (the default was active.) The in-game movement was seemingly non-existent due to the dead zones and uber-low sensitivity, and at first I thought something was wrong with the hardware.

My curves are almost flat and lifted quite high above unity (the X-axis), which means, respectively, NO dead zones and rapid response with small head movement. I don't need to thrash about in my chair in order to effectuate significant rotation and translation.

Did I mention that in the relevant classfile I extended the azimuth (L-R panning) limit to 180 degrees? (Stock is 150.) It's neat!

cbradbury

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2019, 09:01:51 AM »

Hi WxTech,

I own both the hat clip and the track clip Pro. Well, actually I don't as I threw the latter in the bin. I did use it initially, but, in common with most other users, it soon broke and needed ongoing repairs. Also, I did a comparison test and found no discernible difference in accuracy in my lighting conditions. To the extent that I think any perceived improvement with the Pro is illusory. So the only real advantage is that you have the full 6DOF, which personally I don't care about much.

Track Clip Pro summary (in my experience):

Flimsy.
No better detection that the basic clip.
Expensive (especially given point 1).
Needs another USB.
Heavier than the basic clip.
Does give 6DOF.

Basic Clip:

Free.
Light.
Need a baseball cap, but you can of course wear headphones over the cap and the clip/phones do not obstruct each other.
You can get up to make tea without unplugging yourself (although you do look a bit weird walking around the house - don't answer the door to callers - they think you are wearing a tinfoil hat).
Just as good at detection (at least in my room conditions).

On another point, it never fails to amaze me the differences between users with the same piece of technology. I have always used the default profile for every game I play IL2, Condor, Orbiter, and have never had to adjust it at all. Great results (for me) out of the box. On you other post you hint that you were spending hours trying to set it up. I don't think I've spent more than fifteen minutes setting up in 10 years or so of owning the kit. Not a criticism - merely a philosophical observation!

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2019, 01:57:50 PM »

Mr. Bradbury,
You seem to suggest that hat the basic clip does NOT provide full 6DOF. Au contraire, but it does. That's the reason for the three reflectors, just as the Pro clip has three LEDs. They both do *exactly* the same thing, functionally, differing only in small details.

For both devices, the three points permit sensing position in 3D space. From that derives 6DOF.

I might have given the false impressed that I spent numerous hours in settling on my profile. I had the rudiments down in the first half-hour, with perhaps another 3/4 hour of finessing.

Where I *did* require no small amount of time was unlearning my former single-point solution to pseudo5DOF (note that I eschew roll, simply because it's the one head action that we already do and need not augment--it's unnecessary.) Where previously L-R translation was tied to panning, up-down translation was tied to pitch, and fore-aft translation was tied also to pitch, these fully automatic actions did not require me to do much more than swively head. Now I *have* to laterally translate myself, sometimes going against panning. But I've pretty much got it down, and am liking the control!

I'll add again my delight in having the clip mounted farther forward than a ball cap permits, using a piece of stiff hanger wire to attach it to my headphones headband. This means that when I pan, my in-game viewpoint translates in the *same* direction, just as occurs in reality. Try swivelling your head while seated without your eyes translating also; you really have to work against this happening very naturally. An additional advantage... I can't forgetfully wander about the house wearing my clip. ;)

cbradbury

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2019, 01:54:01 AM »

Glad you have it sorted. I think it transforms flight sims and now I can't imagine playing without it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 25 queries.