Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: PRS Files: a Short Tutorial  (Read 24470 times)

SAS~CirX

• R.I.P.
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • No Zips, Only Buttons
PRS Files: a Short Tutorial
« on: August 30, 2009, 05:25:03 AM »

Explaining how Buttons Influence Sound:

~ The buttons file contains two types of file. One is an FMD file, and the other type is an EMD file.

FMD files are the main aerodynamic FM file of a plane, it in itself does not generate sound, what it does do is POINT to EMD file.

EMD files contain the engine data of a plane. Usualy a family of planes will share the same EMD file, and in that file will be data for many engines. The EMD file tells the game which PRS file to load for that plane's engine sounds.More about PRS files later.

What can go wrong here:
1) The FMD file can point to an EMD file that DOES NOT EXIST. The result of this is that the plane will explode immediately when the mission has finished loading.

2)The FMD points to an EMD file that exists, but does not contain data for THAT PARTICULAR engine. Same as numer 1, plane will explode.

3)The FMD points to a valid EMD file and sub-engine model, but that EMD file points to a PRS file that does not exist. In this case, your plane will have no engine sound. All other sounds will still be there.

FAQ:

What sounds are governed by the buttons file?
1) The internal (inside the cockpit) ENGINE sound
2) The EXTERNAL engine sound
3) The Start-up and shut-down sound of an engine (If it has any...rockets and some jets dont have any)

Does the buttons file influence any other sounds in the game?
No

If my plane loses sound sometimes, like when it idles, or when it revs very high, is the cause of this in buttons?
No, you have the wrong type of data in your PRS file for that plane.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PRS files:

PRS files are the files that tell the game which sound files (WAV FILES) to use for an engine, and how those sounds should be handled by that game.

There are two places where PRS files can be found. One is in your "FILES" folder (IF YOU HAVE ONE).

you will find those here:
...your Main Game Folder\Files\presets\sounds\...

Or in the Mods folder. those will  will be found in this place:

...your Main Game Folder\MODS\WHATEVER_FILENAME_YOU_LIKE\presets\sounds\...

You may see that if you have prs files, you have ones for all kinds of sounds, like guns sounds, bullet wizzes, cockpit sounds ect. Those do not concern buttons. The only PRS files that govern the engine sounds of planes, have names that start with the word "motor"

For example:

motor.BMW_800_Series.prs

or a start up sound looks like:

motor.Rolls-Royce-Merlin.start.begin.prs

and it's associated stop file for engine shut down will look like this:

motor.Rolls-Royce-Merlin.start.end.prs

What are the advantages of having sounds in your mods folder instead of the files folder?

Files in the files folder tend to load a fraction quicker, but this is marginal. It is a good place to have a bunch of files you want out of the way.

However, in your mods folder, you can put every plane's soundfiles in a seperate folder if you want. Easy thus to update or troubleshoot.

When the game loads, it will always give anything contained in your MODS folder priority over anything in the FILES folder. Thus, if you have two identical prs files, one in FILES and one in MODS, the game will ONLY load the one in your mods folder.

Now for the important bit:

The Buttons file only tells the game which PRS file to use. It does not do anything more than that. The prs file reacts to what the motor is doing, revving up, or down, or damaged...whatever it does. But the point is, what goes on INSIDE the PRS file, has nothing to do with buttons.

So I can, for example, take a jet engine's PRS file, and name it "motor.Rolls-Royce-Merlin.prs" , and then my Spitfires will have rocket sounds...it wont work very WELL, but it WILL WORK.

So, what does this tell you?
It means that, if you are missing a sound, or you want to give some aircraft the engine sounds of others, you simply look up the relevant PRS name in the SAS sound Matrix Xcell sheet (included in SAS Buttons downloads). Find the prs file of the sounds you like, make a copy of it, and name the copy for whatever PRS file you want it to represent.

This is also the principle behind the universal soundpatches.

So, enjoy your sounds, our buttons, and if you run into problems, let us know so we can fix them!

Salutes!

The SAS Team.

Triad773

• Triad's website
Re: PRS Files: a Short Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 11:15:38 AM »

Thanks CirX for posting this! Now I can stop mucking up my Files "files," and playing paddy cake with my backup copies ;)

Great stuff Sir

Cheers

Triad

SmilingCow

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 08:53:23 AM »

What about the volume inside the cockpit ?
Is it ajustable ?
I'd like so much to lower a bit the sound inside my cockpît.
Any help please ?

SAS~CirX

• R.I.P.
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • No Zips, Only Buttons
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 01:31:05 PM »

Use SFS extractor to extract the hsfx sounds sfs file (if that is what you are using) then find ever seperate internal soundsample for the engines you want to adjust, and then use an app like wavosaur to lower the aplitudude of each sample individualy.

Sorry there is no easy way to do this.

SolanaBogon

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 05:58:23 AM »

It is possible to modify an EMD file?

SV_MadisonV44

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 06:43:40 AM »

Hi Cirx, I'm ok regarding the use of SFS extractor, very simple, but after that, you've got to put your lowered Wav files in your \Files\samples directory if exist or create one in your MOD folder.

With Tim Tools is there a "simple" way to recompile the SFS with the modified Wav file ?

SmilingCow, See you next time on teamspeak (before next Bagration campaign for example)
I will show you the best way to do this, if needed... ;)

SAS~CirX

• R.I.P.
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • No Zips, Only Buttons
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 07:44:15 AM »

no, there is no available SFS recompiler

mattebubben

• have non
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 07:45:31 AM »

you simply look up the relevant PRS name in the SAS sound Matric Xcell sheet. Find the prs file of the sounds you like, make a copy of it, and name the copy for whatever PRS

hmm sry for beeing noob but what his that Sas Sound Matric u are talking about and how do i find it =P

Edit: Nevermind i found it =)

Bao

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 04:01:20 AM »

Hi Cirx,

One question.What is the difference between original names of *.prs files in stock buttons and SAS buttons? Is it the same?Like
motor.BMW_800_Series.prs,name is the same with both buttons or you have changed it?

SAS~CirX

• R.I.P.
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • No Zips, Only Buttons
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 04:47:05 AM »

Hi Bao

The deafult prs motor sounds list is very short. almost all the prs names used in our buttons is new .
The default prs files I list for you below. These are used by all planes in the stock game with stock buttons. Not a big variety!

Normal Engine Sounds:                                                                                                                                   
\motor.am38.prs                                                                                                                                       
\motor.bmw6.prs                                                                                                                                       
\motor.bristol-mercury.prs                                                                                                                           
\motor.db605.prs                                                                                                                                     
\motor.dm4.prs                                                                                                                                       
\motor.Jumo211.prs                                                                                                                                   
\motor.m82.prs                                                                                                                                       
\motor.rollsroyce.prs

Rocket and Jet Sounds:
\motor.bi_1.prs
\motor.me_163.prs
\motor.Jumo004.prs
\motor.ge40.prs

Start/Stop Sounds:                                                                                                                                   
\motor.std_e.start.begin.prs                                                                                                                         
\motor.std_e.start.end.prs                                                                                                                           
\motor.std_p.start.begin.prs                                                                                                                         
\motor.std_p.start.end.prs                                                                                                                           

Bao

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 06:07:04 AM »

Thanks a lot Cirx,that was very quick and very good answer.Thats what I was asking for.

Bao

Tomcat_Zombie

• Mapper
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 02:57:30 PM »

Hi Cirx

I read carefully your post and, of course, found it very (very) interesting. But I have some questions though...
I "lost" the flyby sound of my Corsair some times ago and after several try, I have to admit that I'm unable to restore it. I should say that I'm using Tiger's Flyby, and as you surely already know, I've got some *flyby.prs files within my preset/sounds folder.
So my questions are : is there a relation between *.emd files and those *flyby.prs files or these lasts were added by Tiger ? And is there a way to restore this beautiful music ;) once produced by the Corsair ?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 25 queries.