Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS DYI maintenance question  (Read 1529 times)

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS DYI maintenance question
« on: March 14, 2019, 08:29:07 AM »

I have the aforementioned joystick and throttle combo.  I've had them for some time and would recommend for those that can afford to shell out the cash.  Great pieces of kit.

Recently a couple of the switches have ceased to function on the throttle console (not a showstopper as there's plenty of other switches and buttons to re-assign...or resort to the keyboard).

That being said I was contemplating doing my own repairs.  Has anyone any experience with doing so that I can lean on for advice/tips?

The two specific items in question are;

1. toggle switch sticking out of the side of the left hand throttle lever, not working at all (would seem to be the easier job), and

2. gray plastic toggle switch on the side of the right-hand throttle (immediately above the red plastic toggle switch), only certain direction works at the moment

Is this worth the risk or is there a possibility of cocking up even more internals?

Is it necessary to use "authentic" Thrustmaster spares or can I go to the nearest electronics shop so to speak?

any info/advice is appreciated.

LuseKofte

Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS DYI maintenance question
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 09:28:29 AM »

I am afraid I could not agree, while the metal grip may feel authentic (witch it is not) it is only the best grip for A 10 C in DCS. When you look at it contenders VKB and Virpil , you will find the metal placed where it belong, in the gimbal.
Warthog do not even have a gimbal, I find Thrustmasters policy of not modernize its electronic nor the cheap 1$ solution for movement , a disrespect for its many customers.
However being that many that owns it, there is a lot of topics on how to fix it many problems
You find a few links in this topic https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=103499

tomoose

• Modder
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 08:10:29 AM »

LuseKofte;
I don't take the authenticity aspect into consideration at all as I use that joystick from Spitfires (clearly not authentic) to B-17s (again, clearly not even close to that type of control column) and actually rarely for jets at all!!  Additionally, I don't know enough to even appreciate the absence of a gimbal LOL!  ;)

Thanks for the link.

regards,
Tomoose

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS

SAS~Ghost129er

• SAS Team
  • SAS Certified Lurk
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 03:39:36 PM »

I know MDS1 has a Thrustmaster Joystick, so wait up and see if he replies here. He recently did some repair job for his, but it wasn't anything excessively major as to what you're planning on doing. PM him or as said, wait if he says something here. 
Current activity: Giving his E46 330ci some TLC.

tomoose

• Modder
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 09:41:46 AM »

Thanks Ghost129er:  I'll wait to see if he picks up on this thread.  I'd rather not bug him directly.

Vpmedia: checked that site but nothing on the throttle I have (Warthog).  I may end up contributing to the site if my repair goes well!! ;)

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 11:14:13 AM »

Vpmedia: checked that site but nothing on the throttle I have (Warthog).  I may end up contributing to the site if my repair goes well!! ;)

Are you saying that you could not find a person specialized in joystick repair on their forum who could tell you what to order from where and how to install it?

tomoose

• Modder
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 12:27:39 PM »

VP;
I didn't go that far.  I looked at the various the various devices and guides (after searching using "Thrustmaster") and the Warthog wasn't there and figured there wasn't any info.
I'll try again in the Answers Forum.
cheers,
Tomoose

BIOSURGE

• WOLVERINE
  • WISH I WAS AT 65000 FEET IN A JET
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 09:16:28 PM »

I have exactly the same problem. I would like to know if anyone has figured out a fix. I took mine apart some time and found a mess of wires and micro switches. never had any luck in replacing the micro switch in other electronics. I like you just reprogrammed the switches. Interesting we have the same problem. Must have been a bad batch of switches.
JOE "BIOSURGE" WOLFGANG MOZART

tomoose

• Modder
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 10:01:02 AM »

I've ordered some toggle switches and will attempt to replace the two problematic ones.  I'll let you know how it goes.  The first one should be relatively easy and a simple soldering job.  That being said the wiring connection was also covered in some sort of silicon-type hardened sealant.  I simply cut that away to verify the type of toggle switch.  Not sure if that is required or not as it just seems to be there to 'protect' the connection and provide some stability to the wire where it meets the connectors. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 25 queries.