Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trim pots? Input Settings.  (Read 203 times)

W0W66

Trim pots? Input Settings.
« on: March 13, 2019, 10:51:51 AM »

Boy trimming a major PITA in this sim.  Yeah I know nothing that has not been mentioned before.  I do not really want to disable gyro/torque effects.

Are the aircraft in the newer games any easier to trim?   Not that my steam powered pc can run the newer games, just curious.

1) Is a trim pot really any easier?/better then using an axis on a joy stick?
2) Would it be possible to retrofit an existing joystick with a better/more sensitive potentiometer? Anyone try that with ye olde stick/throttle?
3) Is there a cheap trim pot already made or diy that anyone can recommend?

Input settings: I can set everything to 100.  Really? Is this 100 of a value that changes by aircraft?  Lets face it, not all aircraft have the same range of motion for flight controls trim tabs etc etc.

WxTech

• Modder
Re: Trim pots? Input Settings.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 12:06:43 PM »

I don't bother with differential braking, and so took the toe brake pots from my former CH pedals (electronics ported over to my own home-made and far superior pedal unit). Combined with the superfluous 'throttle' pot in the base of my CH Flight Stick, the three pots were put into a box dedicated to the three trim axes.

Best hardware mod after my pedal construction! I too tended to be miffed at the inability to settle into stable trim via the keyboard.

W0W66

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 04:31:12 PM »

Very cool that you repurposed those components WxTech.  Wish I had the skill and the parts lol.

But yeah the inability to trim is a frustrating thing.

Are the newer games any better in this regard? Any one know?

W0W66

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 07:00:09 AM »

Found this discussion and these two posts in particular:

1) Are these applicable to 1946 i,e, not for BoS etc etc
2)2nd post looks good, how do I implement it? Save to a note pad, then?

Is this just out of date? Not the same as my complaint?

Edit: helps if I include the links:
https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/12474-setting-up-rotary-for-trim-controls/?do=findComment&comment=195601

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/12474-setting-up-rotary-for-trim-controls/?do=findComment&comment=468088

Would like this workshop/gaming area.  But, he shows you how to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSsKeeY5NgM

bolox

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 12:14:43 PM »

all imho:-

1) a trim pot is better than a joystick axis- 'normal' pots have a wider range of movement (typically 270 deg as opposed to 45-60 deg of a 'normal joystick axis'), and hence more finesse is possible

2)yes- have done this. typically you will need a 10k-100k ohm potentiometer with a LINEAR taper- log tapers are not suitable (so don't try sound desk faders :P ). Personally it lead me to buy a proper controller and build some 'stupid' setups :o- be warned!

3) diy  (and i don't know your definition of 'cheap' ) but something like this as a controller?
http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=204
for pots his 10 turn is a bit overkill (me 109 elev trim wheel had 5 3/4 turns irl ) but does work well for elevator- maybe more for the fact you are moving a control an equivalent amount to the realife aircraft :P but it is very nice for precision.
for rudder maybe 3 turn would be my ideal but 1 turn (270 deg is adequate)

really you will want some sort of box to mount it all in

For 'real' trim pots i would normally use 100 across the board for sensitivity(particularly multi turn pots) to get a linear response ingame and be assured of not running out of trim at slow speeds in all aircraft
However in certain aircraft (say you are planning on flying a long campaign) i have found it can be beneficial to the flying experience (if not the survivability ;)) in reducing the trim effect to say 60 across the board on elevator (partic for bombers)- basically trying to set max trim input as being equivalent to landing speed.
Rudder maybe similar- but take off is the critical factor
aileron (if used) maybe 10-15 across board
ymmv

W0W66

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 07:15:25 PM »

Thank you Bolox. 

So much to learn.

Regrettably the  Bodnar set is about $45.00 cdn before delivery.  The Teensy board in the youtube link above seems a bit cheaper in some places.  Or the mmjoy2? Oh I need a coffee.  Headache time.

All because the devs didn't put in effective trimming.  GRR.

I do appreciate the information very much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.