Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A few more Flightgear screenshots  (Read 2619 times)

Unca-Fester

• Graduate of the Dirk Gently School of mucking about.
  • Modder
A few more Flightgear screenshots
« on: March 12, 2019, 04:57:24 PM »

I make 3D model content for FlightGear.
 Some screenshots:

Bristol Scout D with 45 degree mounted Lewis,  Hawker's

Fokker DII 

Avro 504D  1914

Farman MF11

Neiuport 16

Halberstadt DII

SAS~Ghost129er

• SAS Team
  • SAS Certified Lurk
Re: A few more Flightgear screenshots
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 04:58:39 PM »

Oh wow you mod for FlightGear? I didn't hear that properly over TeamSpeak 3!

Looks like it's time to port them to IL-2 huh? 8) Really great work on them, love the Bristol especially.
Current activity: Giving his E46 330ci some TLC.

Unca-Fester

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 05:09:12 PM »

The Bristol and the 504 are a hoot,  Coupe ignition switching.  I've set them up so you have to mouse click the air pump ( for the fuel pressure.)  20 times before the fuel tank is turned on to run the engine.

I've got a DH2, a Royal Air Factory RE8 with working rear turret with bullet submodels.  All of these planes can shoot in FG  just no damage models to receive the fired rounds.

SAS~Ghost129er

• SAS Team
  • SAS Certified Lurk
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 05:17:14 PM »

You wouldn't have happened to have played Masters of the Skies - The Red Ace by SmallRockets, have you..? I ask as I've always wanted a modern remake of that wonderful game as it's a childhood favorite that I still play occasionally to this date.
Current activity: Giving his E46 330ci some TLC.

Unca-Fester

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 05:46:59 PM »

You wouldn't have happened to have played Masters of the Skies - The Red Ace by SmallRockets, have you..? I ask as I've always wanted a modern remake of that wonderful game as it's a childhood favorite that I still play occasionally to this date.

No, haven't heard of it before, I made some content for Activision's mod for SDoE, Fighter Squadron WWI.

What I do have is a copy of TargetWare with Richthofen's Skies mod and all the aircraft they had up to 2009.  You used to be able to host your own online games with it but they closed the metaserver back in 2009.

Here's a video I made from RS a few years back.. 

Does anyone know how to start or make a metaserver?

I'm real serious about creating an online WWI PC based sim.   Il-2 seems to have the best potential of the present day's sims for this.  Using DBW1916's select group of aircraft and the WWI maps made for SAS Il-2 '46 this seems really possible

<Gunny>

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 05:54:04 PM »

I would love to see WW-1 on line.. I played Red Baron 3D for years...
WW -1 Is a hoot... Hope you get-r-done......

Unca-Fester

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 06:04:43 PM »

I still have a 3d files of planes that I recycled from my content for Ricthofen's Skies.  The Farman F40 was never uploaded

It's now in FlightGear, it's better looking, has a working gunner's turret, and has a few liveries.

BalDaddy

• Old Scroat
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 03:19:33 AM »

Interesting to view this and chat with you last night on the server Fester. Good to see the more 'quirky' aircraft of the early war given some prominence!
I suppose with the trend towards 'pay to fly' and therefore modding and community content not being viable, we won't see these types of less deadly, well-known or less glamourous kites in future simulations of the period.
RoF always seemed to be somewhat lacking without the Quirk, Big Ak, 504, AVG CIIs etc. And the same seems to be happening in the 'Great Battles' WW1 mode unfortunately.

Unca-Fester

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 08:45:21 AM »

My intent is to see if it's possible to start a Il-2 WWI equivalent of the online SAS UP3 mod pack based largely on DBW1916 aircraft and other resources.

The biggest problems I see with this is there's a ton of older, semi deprecated Frankenplanes in DBW-1916's hangar that need pruning.  I'm especially bugged by the Pseudo-Nieuport 11s, (that get selected by default) that have the engine power and maneuverability of Fokker D.VII's.

Don't ever tangle with a flock of these run by AI, they'll make mincemeat of your kite. Seriously, even with you flying something as capable as the SE5a.

Making a list of planes to keep as online usable is easy.  Getting any content of my planes into Il-2 is going to be a bit of a slog.  This may have to wait for Stainless's sim to come to a more finished product to import my shapefiles and textures into Il-2.  Unless some gungho aircraft modder wants to tackle this conversion from AC3D .ac files.

Presently getting my content into IL-2 with the proper smoothing and shading fixes, proper levels of LOD, and shadows damage models and coding the Java FDM.  Yeah, I'm an artist, but not an especially great programmer.

The other issue I have is...  I've been spoiled rotten by FlightGear's ease of making scenery, based on FG's TerraGear generated European Corine scenery.

There's a lot of parallels to FG and Il-2's way of making scenery, the main difference is that FG has with the Corine terrain shapefiles, which are a very accurate representation of Europe, and the Alps/Italy/eastern Europe and Middle East.

I mean I could effectively download all the scenery we need to make any historical WWI air campaign, it's getting it to interface with Il-2.

IL-2 with the WWI maps presently has a big gap in the Western Front.  Most of the Verdun/Alsace/Lorraine scenery is completely missing from the maps, and this covers a big section of both the Early and Late war period  Especially the Alsace and Verdun fronts.

I'd like to discuss this further with those interested in seeing a Il-2 WWI online campaign come to fruition.  I'm willing to learn some new skills, and would like to get to know how the online campaign generation and setting up a server works.

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 02:58:28 AM »

I'm not sure which version of DBW.1916 you are using, because the frankenplanes were mostly removed. There are three left to serve as testing slots.
The Nieuport 11 indeed has a bad flight model and some 3d issues, unfortunately our java/fm coder left before we could finish fixing all the issues. Then the project more or less stopped due to lack of java coder(s). Many planes also need new hitboxes for the 3d model, for example the BE.2c is almost impossible bring down. There are also many issues with misplaced hooks in the 3d models. The best planes are the ones made by AMT (Aviator modding team) such as the Albatros D.III, Fokker E.III and DR.1 and the Camel. The ones made by Gio have all kinds of problems. The one thing I'm satisfied with are the object and aircraft textures. The maps could also use some work, authentic french and english buildings should replace the slovak houses.

But the truth is that 99% of the modders are not interested in ww1 or helping, so you'll have a hard time when you run into problems. DBW.1916 was made by a very small team. Try importing one plane into IL-2 in a week and you will see whats up. :)

sixstrings

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 06:03:49 AM »

I have RoF and WOFF and fell in love with WWI combat flight sims all over again. Had to sell my gaming computer to pay for medical bills and am using a laptop for now. Soon I'll have another gaming computer and will be loading them up again. Looking forward to a IL-2 based WWI sim. Had BAT but was too large and i'm not into the jet age aircraft. Would love to see something for WWI only. WWI aircraft are a real challenge to fly and no parachute ! Good luck in your work and i hope it comes about. If it could be as nice as WOFF it would be great. I would even purchase it as i did for the others. Regards,Scott

Unca-Fester

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 07:20:33 AM »

Couple winters back we ran an online British Home Defense sortie with some new Zeppelins and 2 HD aircraft I had modded a few months back.

RAF BE12HD with the 170 hp Hispano V8 with twin angled Lewis'..

..and an AVRO 504 with a Forster Wing mounted Lewis, both running Buckingham Ball and Phosphor incendiary rounds.

I even made Stow Maries' and Eastchurch's HD airfields.

We had set some limitations to the sim.  No use of the inflight map to track targets.  So you were scrambled with as few hints as to where the overflight of attacking airships were.  Keeping with the real aspect of this, real weather fetch was used and it was snowy and very cloudy over London that Sunday.  Made finding a '350 long Zepp a bit of a challenge to find.

Until, all of the sudden you stumble on them..

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 25 queries.