Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting claims  (Read 464 times)

Stainless

• Modder
Interesting claims
« on: March 08, 2019, 01:44:28 AM »

I was watching a TV show earlier this morning about aircraft.

This particular episode focused on the F15. There was a lot of interesting facts I made a note of for simulation later, but the one fact that stopped me in my tracks was the kill ratio.

They stated that the F15 has a kill ratio of 104:0

Yep zero.

So they are saying F15's have shot down 104 aircraft without every suffering a combat loss.

Not only do I find that hard to believe, it worries me for a simulation viewpoint.  How can you simulate a dogfight between a pair of F15's and a pair of Mig 25's ?

Do you just say bye bye to the two migs?

Has anyone any other data?

LuseKofte

Re: Interesting claims
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 01:59:38 AM »

Israeli F15 have shot down a few, one of them landed without a wing. I know about the claim of zero losses. But the 104 kills seems a bit high

[FAC] Ghost129er

• unlock.inc
  • Modder
  • SAS Certified Nuisance
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 02:15:28 AM »

That's here.

This incident is somewhat the role model/based for a character known as Larry Foulke, aka Solo Wing/Pixy in Ace Combat Zero.

Over the coming years, Foulke fought in various conflicts with his aircraft of choice, the F-15C Eagle. During one particular battle in 1993, his F-15's right wing was torn off by enemy fire, but he remained in control of the aircraft and safely returned to base. This incident earned him the nickname "Solo Wing". He later painted the right wing of his aircraft—either the same Eagle or a replacement—a scarlet red to commemorate the incident.

Sorry, kinda derailed the topic there but #The more you know.
Java is less cancerous than CS:GO Matchmaking and the CS:GO community.

sniperton

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 09:21:10 AM »

Here's the full tally of the F-15 (sorry, it's in Hungarian).
https://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Az_F%E2%80%9315_Eagle_l%C3%A9gi_gy%C5%91zelmei
As to your question ('how can you simulate a dogfight...'), I guess you can't, or at least not in the sense as we can simulate a dogfight between a Spit and a 109.

LuseKofte

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 02:56:08 PM »

I flight sim can never simulate history, because it do not simulate more manpower and resources, bad and good fuel, It do not simulate pilots with a purpose and orders. It only pixels in a screen gouverned by armchair pilots hungry for kill points
Thisis why I probably come back to good old IL 2 with after all the best AI , and a lot of campaigns

Stainless

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 02:38:04 AM »

Well  i am going to simulate history.

I have been collecting data on every factor that affects a military aviation campaign. Yes bad fuel. Yes lack of resource. Yes lack of pilots.

Also rate of training of pilots, rate of production of airframes, location of factories used in the construction of airframes, location of pilot training schools, etc. etc. etc.

I am really going to have to think about modern aviation though. The disparity in technology between front line aircraft makes it seem pointless. If you are in an F15, you are not immortal, but you do have a massive advantage

sniperton

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 03:38:59 AM »

I am really going to have to think about modern aviation though. The disparity in technology between front line aircraft makes it seem pointless.
For me it means a strategic level simulation, not just a tactical one as we are used to have it. Something like Hearts of Iron. The question is how much fun it would be to play a strategic game on the tactical level (Japanese in 1946, Iraqi in 2001. etc).

LameHawk

• Too young to die - too old for my own good
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 08:10:24 AM »

Going through the list it looks like a few F-15s were indeed shot down - by other F-15s!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.