Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New pc for my 50 years old birthday  (Read 3162 times)

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

markino

Re: New pc for my 50 years old birthday
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 05:33:55 AM »

Thank you Mike!! ]wav[

Mindfactory is only in German?

Marco

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 06:38:58 AM »

Yes but they send to Italy, it's "Zone 2" in their list, 30 bucks shipment.

Ankermann is a german company as well, it's just that their website is available in english too.

]cheers[
Mike

markino

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 07:08:03 AM »

Thanks Mike!  ]thumright[

Ciao!

Marco

markino

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 10:42:54 AM »

Alternative Config from same supplier, cheaper and much more powerful:
https://www.ankermann.com/en/desktop-pc-configurator.htm#efa0f86eecfa5a6f13fbfa81e170c990

Mike but this config is ok for oculus rift?

Ciao!

Marco

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2019, 12:58:20 AM »

I just grabbed me an i5-9600K, will build the new system next week.
Either you get a recommendation from me then, or a word of warning.
FYI: New Board/CPU/Cooler/RAM has been installed and is working well.
I didn't find time to check the overclocking capabilities yet, but the performance at stock clock rates is already well beyond what my old trusty and rusty i5-2500K could deliver, even though both run at roughly the same clock rate (my i5-2500K was OC'ed to 4.2 GHz, the new i5-9600K has clock rates from 3.7 - 4.6 GHz).

What I can tell already is that the new 9000 series CPUs are hotheads compared to my old 2000 series.
Blame it on the soldered heat spreader which replaces the direct die/spreader connection of previous Intel CPUs.

Unfortunately it turned out that my initial plan to swap hardware without reinstalling Windows 10 from scratch didn't really come together.
Despite all required preparations (link local Windows 10 account to MS account, uninstall all mainboard drivers, set "safeboot minimal" flags for first reboot with new hardware) I got stuck at a point I never thought I would.
Actually the PC with new hardware booted fine, both into safe mode and later to normal mode.
However, I could neither install nor uninstall anything.
No software, no drivers, not even Windows 10 in total.
Any attempt to install or uninstall anything would just lock up the whole system half way through and subsequently cause a boot loop with BSOD denoting a "bad system configuration".
I could then use the restore point I've created for the upgrade and get to the same point again, but never beyond.

So I've ended up having to reinstall everything from scratch, which works fine, but takes a couple of days as this is a development PC with an endless list of software installed...

]cheers[
Mike

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 03:54:23 AM »

*update*

I've had my first couple of attempts to overclock the i5-9600K.
Internet says that they'll easily manage to get up to 5 GHz.
Can't confirm.
So far any overclocking attempt failed.
Not that the system would immediately become unstable, no...
I can even raise the CPU clock to 5GHz and load the memory module's XMP profile quite like I did with my old i5-2500K, without having to adjust anything else, but:
Games like Battle of Stalingrad will crash with random "access violation" exceptions, and prime95 shows rounding errors.

So I've tried to ease off on the clock rates a bit, tried without XMP, tried to raise voltage, tried different LLC settings, disabled VT-d, all that stuff you know...
I can get the system to be prime stable at 4.8 GHz without XMP and with LLC "turbo" (which is LLC5 if I understand correctly), but that still doesn't solve the game crashes.

For the moment, I've resorted to run the CPU at default clock rates and leave XMP off, that seems to be the only reliable option.
Therefore the (temporary) conclusion is that, unfortunately as I've been afraid of from the very beginning, the i5 is the lemon of the i9/i7/i5 tree, and if you want to overclock your CPU, prepare to spend the money on the i9 or you might end up with a CPU that just refuses to work stable on any other but the stock clock rates, quite like me.

]cheers[
Mike

W0W66

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 06:55:10 AM »

Well that is a pain re software and lack of stability.

And for reference, yet another thread: My  system doesnt run/my system runs fine.  But I thought well just in case.

https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/9u4bz4/i5_9600k_overclocking/

Best of luck.  Hope that you can get the #'s you want.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2019, 11:18:57 AM »

I gave up on the overclocking front, no success to me.
Stock rates or unstable system is the choice I have.
Maybe future BIOS updates will change something but I don't think so.

Furthermore, another word of warning:
My new system causes massive noise induced through the PCIe connectors whenever there's GPU activity.
This must be a mainboard thing, because the GPU and my soundcard are the same as before, and I cannot cure it by moving the soundcard to another PCIe slot or by attempting to shield it.
My Soundcard is - or better was - a Soundblast Z internal PCIe card.
I can put it right next on top or below the graphics card, or 3 slots further at the other end of the motherboard - no change.
There's no other cable crossing the Soundcard. No front panel connected either.
CPU load doesn't cause anything similar.
Disabling C-States doesn't help either.
As soon as the GPU becomes busy, there's all kind of freaking noise on the microphone input.
The only way to get rid of it is to apply the background noise filter on the Soundblaster config panel, but that makes the mic sound like you've got a pillow on your mic.

I've tried many things and finally kicked out the Soundblaster and switched to the onboard sound instead.
It shows the same GPU dependent board-induced noise, but at least he noise filter works much better there.

I did consider buying a USB soundcard already, but stepped back from that after having read about the massive driver/software issues people are having with these on Windows 10:
https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Performance-Headphone-Integrated-Microphone/dp/B00EZT7RE4
https://www.amazon.de/Soundkarte-Doppelmikrofon-Array-konfigurierbare-Studio-Audiotechnologien-600-Ohm-Kopfhörerverstärker/dp/B00F8VB0IW

I'll try whether I can deal with the onboard sound.
If not, I'll have to see what I can do.
Either way, can't really recommend my new mainboard, a Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X, because of the noise it seems to have on the PCIe lines.

]cheers[
Mike

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2019, 11:50:58 AM »

This info is a bit old but may works for you:

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2019, 02:06:59 AM »

Thanks Istvan.
It's indeed a bit dated, there's a newer OC guide available for my board series here: https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/Global/multimedia/2/file/525/946.pdf
It's not that I don't know how to do it, I've done such things before.
The problem is that whatever I touch in there, even if I just rase the 4-Core Turbo ratio by 1 single tick, or the base ration by 1 tick, or change the LLC to any other but "auto", or change the uncore ratio, or change the memory clock rate, any single attempt like that will always end up in prime and/or game instability, and combined attempts will just make matters worse.
The only thing that works is default clocks.

]cheers[
Mike

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 09:26:24 AM »

*Update*

Two days ago I've had enough of the constant hassles and decided to give the new hardware a last chance by dismantling the whole PC, cleaning up everything and rebuilding it from scratch.
This included the removal of CPU cooler and replacement of thermal grease (even though my initial attempt looked fine after removal), the cleaning of PCIe slot contacts on my extension cards, especially the GPU, and conserving these using "Kontakt 61".
And, last but not least, right when I finished rebuilding the rig, Gigabyte released a new "F7" BIOS with "enhanced stability" and "performance improvements".

Lo and behold, CPU temps fell by about 10° so I've got a safety margin of 25° to throttling level at prime95 AVX tests now.
Noise on the soundcards is still almost as bad as before.
I am able to load the XMP memory profile in "stability" mode now.
Overclocking the base clock by 100MHz seemed to work as well, but I've reverted to stock clocks temporarily to ensure a reliable operation first.

I won't say that everything's fine now, but at least it's not as bad as before.
If there wasn't any improvement I would have sent the whole shit back.

]cheers[
Mike
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 26 queries.