Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DGEN vs "STATIC" campaigns  (Read 1298 times)

blackshark

DGEN vs "STATIC" campaigns
« on: February 08, 2019, 12:51:28 PM »

Hi my question is if DGEN may intefere with the "static" campaigns already started ... more in detail, if I change/install a new pack af DGEN-campaign (new DGen folder), maybe that my current static campaign could be "ruined" or that i cannot play and i need to restart them from scratch ?

vonofterdingen

• Missioneer
Re: DGEN vs "STATIC" campaigns
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 01:10:37 PM »

DGEN will not interfere with your static campaigns in any way.

rollnloop

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 10:34:34 AM »

There is only one risk when missing with campaign files, removing a dgen campaign file that came with the game, or removing files that are used by a campaign (dgen or static) that is in your list of in progress campaigns. This could lead to a corruption of your main campaigns save, leading to have to restart every campaign. If you are only adding, there is nospecial risk.

blackshark

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 09:16:09 AM »

Thank you

Another question: which is the difference between them? I mean why create a static instead of a dgen campaign ? What have dgen more/less than static?

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 10:11:01 AM »

DGen means "Dynamically Generated". A small program inside IL-2 creates randomized missions based on a vast amount of databases (see the content of the DGEN folder). But all these databases must exist and must be made. The missions can be repetitive and have limits.
The briefings as well. But they are kind of randomized, so never the same.
You cannot simply "create" a DGN campaign, it is a quite complicated task with limitations.

Static campaigns can be made just as the maker wishes it, on any map with any plane, any object. They follow a determined order and allow to tell a story with custom made briefings, or can be actual recreations of historical missions.

vonofterdingen

• Missioneer
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 07:54:27 PM »

Both types are fun to play, and both have their strengths and their limitations.

blackshark

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 08:02:07 AM »

Thank you for the answers.
Last question is about DCG: which is the difference between dcg and dgen ? They all are "dynamic" so the DCG have a "random" part similar to DGEN or do they differ ? In what?

sniperton

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 09:34:13 AM »

DGen is the stock dynamic campaign generator invoked by the game, while DCG is a 3rd party hack which temporarily replaces DGen and uses its own data files to generate missions.
In DGen you get randomized missions, but your success or failure doesn't really affect the ground war, which is basically scripted. In DCG your actions may have an impact on the ground war, and generally there's a bit more randomness in it.
If you're new to them, I suggest preferring DGen first, as it's easier to use and has less quirks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 24 queries.