Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New screen, new graphic card?  (Read 1306 times)

macgiver

New screen, new graphic card?
« on: January 24, 2019, 12:13:29 PM »

I want to make a consultation:

To this day I have used 22 inch screen 1680x1050 but deterioration of vision (impossible to compensate with glasses) forces me to change. I bought 32 inches 2560x1440 (I haven't received it yet)

I have a pc dedicated exclusively to Il-2:

- i5 3450 3.2G (HT deactivated - for Il-2 it's useless)
 - GTX 960
 - 8 G de RAM (only 4 in use - I have 32bits OS, Il-2 doesn't need more either)
 - two screens: the mentioned one of 1680x1050 and secondary 1280x1024 for monitoring etc.
 - I fly with graphic options at maximum, I don't use things like "High Resolution / True Color Textures Mod"
 - My graphic card is always almost "at idle"(for example its fan always goes to the minimum: 700 rpm)
 - I never had remarkable FPS problems, even flying e.g. over Moscow on the Oknevas map everything is fluid...

My question is as follows:

Do I have to think about eventual upgrade of graphic card? taking into account that now screen is going to have twice as many pixels, the GTX 960 is going to be enough? 
and if I have to change, card like GTX 1060 would be enough? it's about 50% more performant than 960.

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
Re: New screen, new graphic card?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 09:13:23 PM »

I got bad news for you. Blue light due to a chemical reaction kills photoreceptors which can not be restored. There's also the problem that you're looking at the monitors always from the same distance, which greatly weakens the eye muscles which are responsible for focusing. Working in a dark enviroment also increases eye strain.

Switching to a higher res screen will not fix your eyes. What may could help is a higher refresh rate IPS panel monitor with a built in blue light filter.
So what I'd google is '144hz ips 1440p' or '144hz ips 1080p'. You also wanna google 'computer glasses blue light'.

macgiver

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 01:30:36 AM »

Thank you for your reply. What you write is not too optimistic but "c'est la vie"...

W0W66

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 06:00:04 PM »

Any chance you can wait for a new GPU?  If I remember correctly, AMD is releasing some new cards later in 2019.  That could/hopefully will drop some prices.

My old computer desperately needs a better gpu, but I think that right now GPU's are still overpriced. Used or new.

Just my $0.02 cents.

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 08:08:59 PM »

If you go for the 144hz, 1440p option the best card to get is the new Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060. Starts around 350 usd at newegg.

As for the prices: https://pcpartpicker.com/trends/price/video-card/

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 08:16:40 PM »

If you want to buy a used card:

macgiver

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 07:13:12 AM »

At the moment my GPU is going well, always with the same settings of the game, I haven't tried online yet or on "well-loaded" missions, only on QMB and some light mission. But I think I'm going to wait a little until the release of new AMD and mid-low range nVidia to see if prices change a little...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 27 queries.