Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Grim Reapers Campaign  (Read 677 times)

DHumphrey

• Missioneer
  • Campaign / Mission Builder
The Grim Reapers Campaign
« on: January 16, 2019, 07:49:51 PM »

Hello All,

Here is my newest contribution to the community. A campaign for the B-25C-25NA.

Compatibility: 4.12.2m SAS/Mod 5.30 or later is required (VPMod)

The Fw_PNG_42 Map is a required install for this campaign.

The map is part of this download. The map's readme is located within the MAP folder. Follow the installation directions as written.

Much thanks to J30_Otto for the installation instructions for this map, very much appreciated !!!

A semi-historical 21-mission campaign based on the 13th Bomb Squadron (The Grim Reapers), 3rd Bomb Group that fought from during this given period of April - July 1942. The 3rd Bombardment Group was a light bomber group that took part in the long campaign in New Guinea and the reconquest of the Philippines, before flying a few missions over Japan before the end of the war.

After the Japanese entry into the war the group was sent to Australia, arriving in February 1942. The 3rd Bomb Group arrived in Brisbane on 25 February, 1942 without any aircraft. The highest-ranking officers in the Group were 1st Lieutenants. The Group was promised new B-25 Mitchells and sent to Charters Towers where they waited for their planes.

Repeated calls to Melbourne elicited the fact that there were no planes on the way to them. On 1 April 1942, 13 men from the 3rd Bomb Group (including 1st Lt. James McAfee) flew down to Archerfield airfield in Brisbane in a C-39 to pick up some B-25C Mitchell bombers that belonged to the Netherlands East Indies Air Force (Dutch).

The 3rd Bomb Group "stole" their B-25s from the Dutch Air Force. :)

The group began operations with its B-25s in early April 1942 including the famous Royce Mission in the Philippines.

Back from a mission, landing at Del Monte Airfield, Mindanao

Hitting the harbor at Cebu.

It was based in Australia, but used Port Moresby as a staging post. Its early operations were against targets on New Guinea, where the group helped to stop the Japanese advance towards Port Moresby and then took part in the Allied counterattacks.

Hitting the airdrome at Lae, New Guinea

Hitting the oil field and harbor at Salamaua, New Guinea

By July 1942 the group had seventeen B-25s. The number of B-25s slowly rose and by the end of the summer two squadrons were operating the type. The group operated as far away as Rabaul, but most sorties were nearer to their bases.

The RAAF provided cover for some missions.

I tried to keep the campaign as historical as possible with correct dates and times that I've been to accurately research.  Due to limitations of the flight simulation some minor deviations were required, however, these deviations do not detract from the historical value depicted in this campaign.

* Skin artists noted in the readme file.
* The campaign has been submitted to M4T for approval.

Enjoy the campaign.  :)
Sincerely, DHumphrey

DHumphrey

• Missioneer
Re: The Grim Reapers Campaign
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 12:25:02 PM »

The Grim Reapers Campaign can now be found here:

The Grim Reapers Campaign

Thank you M4T for your approval.

:)
Sincerely, DHumphrey

Motörhead

• http://forum.aviaskins.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 03:50:59 AM »

In 1942 3rd BG use B-25C field modification, made by famous Pappy Gunn. There is many small improvements, but main feature is bombardiers cockpit removed, and 12,7 battery installed instead of bombsight. Sometimes even 20 mm cannons installed too. Pilots called this planes "Pappy Gunnship". Field modification proved to be really succesfull at New Guinea, and later in 1943 North American designed many attack versions of B-25 as a stock factory build plane.
Unfortunately, this field mod by Pappy Gunn plane doesnt exist as a mod. I hope, this will be change in future ;)

Ain't a hope in hell, nothing's gonna bring us down, The way we fly, five miles off the ground, It's a Bomber!

DHumphrey

• Missioneer
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 05:19:04 AM »

Hello Motorhead,

It's true that the 3rd used a modified B-25C, I wanted to use the 1944 version that the sim has as it's the "factory" version of Pappy Gunn's modifications, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I do hope that someone may update the 1942 version of the aircraft to replicate the 3rd's aircraft type.  :)

However, the aircraft I used in the campaign works well, you can even strafe with it, albeit with only a singe machine gun, it works well though.  :)
Sincerely, DHumphrey

Geschirrspülmaschine19

• "A plan is a list of things that won't happen."
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 11:43:10 AM »

DH I played a couple missions of your campaign. It is great! I like your detail and object placement.  I agree with your choice of using the older B-25 models with correct marking over the newer models. While they might have been more accurate armament wise, using them would detract from the experience of the US and allies barely holding on with a rag tag collection of planes they were able to scrap together.
Thanks again!!! ;D
"If we don't know what we're doing, neither will the enemy."

vegetarian

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 04:32:31 AM »

If anybody is interested, there is an account of the Royce Mission in 'Kangaroo Squadron' by Bruce Gamble (author of the Rabaul Trilogy). This is an excellent account covering the early days of the USAAF bomber campaign in the New Guinea area focusing on B17 operations. Some truly hair raising stories and skin of the teeth stuff. Like G19 says above, a rag tag collection of planes barely kept airworthy. I recommend it for anyone interested in WW2 aviation.

And thanks for the campaign, downloaded it and will play it soon. Can't have enough Pacific campaigns!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.