Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BAM/BOS/Bodenplatte? but I do not stream  (Read 2135 times)

W0W66

BAM/BOS/Bodenplatte? but I do not stream
« on: January 14, 2019, 05:23:10 PM »

Sorry,  I know I am behind the times, but, which would you recommend? I am leaning towards Bodenplatte.

Now the real problem.  I do not use Stream/GOG etc etc.  I do not fly online.  I can not use internet to access a game.

I would prefer A DVD or USB to install.  You know, the old way.

Do I have any options at all?

Thanks for reading

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
Re: BAM/BOS/Bodenplatte? but I do not stream
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 10:45:06 PM »

I can not use internet to access a game.
You can buy all parts of BoX directly from the il2sturmovik.com store, no need to have Steam.
However you do need to have internet access at least when you run the game for the first time after having purchased a new item, and for installation of the game.
The installer doesn't work offline and the activation of a new item needs connection to the Master Server while the game is running.
Other than that, you can play offline, but it'll be very limited, e.g. campaigns are not available in offline mode.

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

W0W66

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 09:29:24 AM »

Thank you SAS~Storebror.

I appreciate the information. 

Lack of research on my part regarding the steam/no steam.

Perhaps I could visit a friend with unlimited internet, (I'd ask first) D/L the files and save to a USB and do the install on my system, do the registration etc then.  I will have to deal with the limitations.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 09:40:05 AM »

I'm afraid downloading and installing must be done while being online.
The Launcher need online access to check the files, then he'll grab the updated content and immediately install it.
There's no such thing like an offline installer except for the base game setup.

What you could do (in theory) is to install the game on your friend's PC, then copy the whole game folder to a USB stick, copy that stick back to your PC, and let the Launcher run once on your (clocked) connection - it shouldn't need to transfer much data in that case.
That should get you up and running offline.
Whenever there's an updated version available you'd have to repeat the process though.

Frankly, I don't think BoX is all that suitable for pure offline use.

]cheers[
Mike

W0W66

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 01:31:26 PM »

SAS~Storebror,

Thank you again for your help.  Well, 1946 is good, and the mods are excellent, so perhaps thats my way forward for now.

Thanks again.

sixstrings

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 06:57:40 PM »

Don't like the way they do business now so won't be purchasing any of the BoX series. Will stick with IL-2 '46, CFS3, WOFF, WOTR . They have all i could ever want anyhow. So what for a little more eye candy than IL-2 '46. For a off line player the other sims are perfect.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 12:29:56 AM »

So what for a little more eye candy
How would you know what you're missing when you never played it?
Hint: Eye candy is just one very tiny aspect of BoX's improvements over 1946.
And CFS3, WOFF and WOTR hardly compare to any of these at all. They're just ancient.
Anyway, it's your choice.
Just wanted to clarify that misleading statement.

As for the business model: Probably very few people like to spend a considerable amount of money for a game.
Putting everything together is around 300 bucks if it's not on sale, and that's quite a lot. And that's just what has been fully released yet. Adding Early Access Stuff takes much more.
However, there's a few things to consider:
You can't really blame it on the devs that they adopted an improved version of the ROF business model which proved to be successful.
You can't blame it on them either that they want to ensure that the team's wages can be paid.
As much as you'd want a "cheap" version of the game, as little will you want the team to just shut down their business because it doesn't pay their bills anymore.
Furthermore, nobody says you should buy it all at once.
You can start with BoS or BoM for as little as 20 bucks when it's on sale, or 27 if you pick the "premium" version which I'd recommend.
Then you can start to look around, get familiar with the game and get used to some of it's kites.
That's probably the hardest part of it: We 1946'ers are used to just jump from one cockpit to another without any issues.
BoX is a new game. You have to get into it first.
Don't throw the towel too early, remember how long it took to get into 1946. It just doesn't happen within a few minutes.
Then there comes the enhanced complexity of BoX's simulation aspect: You need to spend more time to get used to a single airplane. Being able to master one doesn't get you into the air with any other like it was in 1946.

It's worth giving it a try at least. IL-2's future doesn't deserve to be thrown away with a simplified statement about it's eye candy IMHO.

]cheers[
Mike

sniperton

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 05:01:54 AM »

As Mike suggested, buy one module (BoS or BoM) when they're on sale, and see if you like it or not. You'll be only able to fly those 10 or 12 planes that you purchased, but against all the planes already available in the game (ca. 35), and you'll be allowed to fly on all available maps online, even those that you haven't purchased.

My route was BoS Standard (on a sale), next BoM Premium (on a sale), next BoS collector planes (on a sale), next BoK (early access), next BoBp (early access).

Dogbert

• Clueless
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 06:30:56 AM »

I bought BoS, BoM, BoK (all Premium) & BoBP at the begining of January in the sale.

I can hardly fly a plane, even in 1946-BAT.

But i think all 4 of the modules i bought are excellent flight sims and do not regret the decision at all.

They do not have the excellent scope of BAT. But they offer other features well worth having.

Mike.

sixstrings

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 08:29:55 AM »

Well. i think i'll give it a try. There are a lot of features i do like and it would be a shame to miss out. Don't mind spending the money ,it's just that i don't like playing online. Hear the flight modeling is good and better than most. Not a lot to choose from when it comes to WWII combat flight sims. The BoX series do come with a lot more aircraft than WOTR. Thanks for steering me in the right direction. Just comfortable with the older sims as i've been at this since SWOTL days. If i remember ,CFS3 was a dud when it first came out and was only made better by all the modding that went into it. I remember not wanting to leave CFS2 because CFS3 needed so much work to make it better. I guess i expect a lot from a sim and not giving it enough time. Will wait for the next sale and get the best package to start with. By the way i love RoF and purchased every aircraft i could when they would go on sale. Regards,Scott

sniperton

sixstrings

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 04:50:32 PM »

Thanks for the info !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 29 queries.