Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ultra-wide monitors  (Read 190 times)

Plowshare

• Modder
Ultra-wide monitors
« on: January 13, 2019, 07:27:39 PM »

The Consumer Electronics Show unveiled a new ultra-wide monitor by, among others, Samsung. This monitor is curved at 5,120 x 1,440 pixels, 49 inches wide, and 4ms response and 120 Hz refresh rate.

I've gone through a few monitors over the years (who hasn't?) and I've seen a difference between 4:3, 16:10 and 16:9 aspect ratios. The monitor before my current one is now being used as my secondary monitor and had the 16:10 aspect ratio. When I came over to my Acer Predator 16:9 aspect I noticed I lost a bit of vertical view while keeping the same horizontal view; this was most noticeable in the loss of a couple of inches of instrument panel at any set FOV.

My questions: Can Il-2 support this? Am I going to get a distorted picture? Am I going to lose even more vertical view while keeping the same horizontal view? Will the FreeSync work (I've seen conflicting reports on this) with my GeForce GTX 1070Ti?

And, finally, do I start to save my pennies and dream or do I drop the thoughts and accept I've got what I've got?

Have a great day.

Bob

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Ask me if I care.
    • Friendly Fire isn't.
Re: Ultra-wide monitors
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 11:27:42 PM »

No idea about any of the other questions, but...
Will the FreeSync work (I've seen conflicting reports on this) with my GeForce GTX 1070Ti?
Depends on what you call "work".
Nvidia announced to release the 1st FreeSync compatible driver for 10- and 20-Series cards tomorrow.
However, they've tested 400 monitors so far and came up with a list of just 12 of them which are up to Nvidia's standards and get FreeSync activated automatically.
Only such monitors on the whitelist (12 so far) will need no further action to get FreeSync running.
On any other FreeSync monitor you can still manually activate FreeSync in the Nvidia Control Panel, however you will probably face issues like flickering, artifacts, banding, small refresh range, pulsing, stuttering, ghosting etc.

For details see:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/g-sync-ces-2019-announcements/

]cheers[
Mike
Learn. Challenge. Improve. In loving memory of the times when I cared...

WxTech

• Modder
Re: Ultra-wide monitors
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 01:09:05 AM »

The game's FoV in degrees applies to the horizontal width. As the screen aspect ratio increases, for given horizontal view angle the vertical view angle necessarily decreases. With a wider aspect monitor, if you wish to preserve a reasonable vertical view angle, you must increase the horizontal FoV.

But doing this increases the gnomonic distortion, which manifests most strongly as a radial elongation toward the screen edges/corners. Not to mention the prominent variation in image scale, where the outer image is expanded--or the central image is shrunk, depending on how you look at it. I find a 90 degree FoV setting is a nice compromise between a reasonably wide view and not yet bad distortion. By the time the FoV goes to about 120 degrees, the distortion is becoming objectionable. Most particularly in the way larger cloud textures take on a 'square cornered' appearance.

I actually kind of like ye olde tyme 4:3 aspect ratios precisely because a generous vertical view angle attends. My limit is the 16:9 aspect, because the important view angle is starting to become restricted (unless I accept the bad distortion of an extra-wide horizontal FoV). Screens which go beyond this are rather like suffering the view through a tank slit. OK for car racing or civvie plane sims or--yes--tank battles ;) , but horrible for aerial combat!

Now, if one *must* have that 'tank slit' monitor, and it's big, you can sit closer to it in order to reduce the effects of the distortion when setting a rather wide FoV.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 9.136 seconds with 25 queries.