Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bf-110 radar aerial arrays  (Read 2005 times)

sparky

Bf-110 radar aerial arrays
« on: January 12, 2019, 04:28:25 PM »

Hi all

After some information please. I'm trying to find all the different nose mounted radar aerials fitted to BF-110's. Looking on the internet and one book I have there seems to be conflicting information. I believe the E model was the first to have radar fitted, but have seen mention of a D model? I am happy that the F and G were the main night fighter types, but again the radar arrays differ wildly with aerials for FuG 202, 212, SN2 and 218, and sometimes differing aerials for the same radar. :(.

So if anyone has some good info, or knows a good website or book that deals specifically with the night fighter versions of the BF-110, and has diagrams that would be a great help.

Thanks

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
Re: Bf-110 radar aerial arrays
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 12:54:29 AM »

There has been some variety of onboard radar systems, however as far as I know, if we're talking about the 110, then only the "G" model has ever been equipped with onboard radar.

The first system to be installed was the FuG 202 "Lichtenstein B/C" and the antenna installation for this system has always been the same, at that time considered as "large" and soon to be nicknamed "Matratze" (mattress):

The system has been developed into FuG 212 "Lichtenstein C1" which looks exactly the same and therefore cannot be distinguished from the FuG 202 from outside, only the cockpit equipment and the specs differ.
FuG 212 hasn't been deployed in large numbers as it entered service right at the time when a Ju-88 C-6 with FuG 202 B/C landed in England and the "Window" went operational, leaving FuG 202 and FuG 212 almost useless.

The next system to be installed on the 110 was FuG 220 "Lichtenstein SN-2", with the "Hirschgeweih" (deer antlers) antenna system:

This system has often times been combined with FuG 212, using a single aerial on the latter just to cover the last mile of the radar guided approach, because the longer wavelength of the FuG 220 caused a larger "blind spot" right in front of the plane:

The next step was the development of FuG 220 "Lichtenstein SN-2d" which differed from the "SN-2" by using antenna aerials with a 45° angle in order to overcome polarization effects, thereby neglecting much of the chaff noise caused by further "Window" attempts to blind later german radar systems. Furthermore SN-2d had a much smaller close-range blind spot, therefore there was no need to carry the additional FuG 212 anymore:

The final onboard radar system on the 110 was "Neptun", in it's pre-series FuG 217 V/R and the final FuG 218 V/R version. Only a handful of 110 G-4 has ever been equipped with this system and I know of no real life image showing any, however this diagram should give you a clue of the whole story:

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 01:26:45 AM »

A few (just few) "F-4 Late" might be equipped with FuG 202 and designated as F-4a from 1942 summer to 1943 until G-4's mass production became well.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 01:35:25 AM »

Oh yes, you're right, the "F-4a"... forgot about that one.
The nose would just look the same like the first FuG 202 110 G though.

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

sparky

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 05:06:02 AM »

Ok

Thanks both, interesting as you have both more or less confirmed what i thought, but i have found some other references. Mainly to do with the 202/212 aerial arrays. like you said the F-4 seems to be the first dedicated night fighter but still find references to E and D models fitted with radar.

I am a little busy at the moment but will post what i have later.

Next question, i was thinking of doing a little hier.him editing and java work, and adding some different radar arrays as load out options. Do we have any good models of the 202/212 that could be used? There are some on the JU-88 but they do not have the same attachments as that required on the ME-110.

speak later

;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 25 queries.