Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FG-1 / Land-Based Field Mod Corsairs  (Read 1061 times)

The Saxman

FG-1 / Land-Based Field Mod Corsairs
« on: January 08, 2019, 02:33:04 PM »

A very common modification made to Marine Corps Corsairs in the field, especially the F4U-1 and F4U-1A, was to strip out the hydraulic wing folding mechanism, tail hook, and other navalization equipment. Since the Marines were seldom embarked aboard ship this was unnecessary weight, and removing it shaved off about 1500 pounds. This modification was so widespread that Corsairs produced under license by Goodyear (FG-1, FG-1A, and FG-1D) had these components eliminated on the factory floor (I BELIEVE the FG-1A also removed the wing tanks, but I'm not 100% sure of that).

Another common field modification was a longer strut on the tailwheel, which improved visibility on the ground by raising the tail.

In addition to the above, would it be possible to give an FG-1 Corsair's dynamic markings to give it a smaller, 3-digit fuselage numbers rather than the large (TBH kind of an eyesore) two-digit numbers in the stock game? Marine Corsairs typically had three digits for the fuselage numbers, most of which seem to have been the last three digits of the serial number (IE Corsair #883, often flown by Boyington, had a S/N of 17883).

duffys tavern

Re: FG-1 / Land-Based Field Mod Corsairs
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 07:47:11 PM »

Interesting idea.

The Saxman

Re: FG-1 / Land-Based Field Mod Corsairs
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 08:58:59 PM »

Interesting idea.

I would think it shouldn't be that hard to implement, too. The only change to the physical model would be removing the tail hook and lengthening the tail wheel strut. The rest would be adjusting the weight, and disabling the wing folding and tail hook for the aircraft.

The numbers I'd imagine would be a bit more work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 25 queries.