Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Armenian churches and cathedrals?  (Read 20127 times)

Mission_bug

• Modder
Re: Armenian churches and cathedrals?
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2019, 12:59:17 PM »

Hello guys, having the parts modular does bring with it more issues than sheer numbers of objects, first of all exactly how many segments of any particular building do you make as a single object?

What about the lods if you do them and the damage model for each part?

It can make a lot of unnecessary work for the builder, time maybe that could be better utilized making other things. ;)

From the mission/map builder perspective it gives them a great variety of objects that can be joined with others to make things most of us might not even consider and thus improves the visual and immersive aspects of the game.

I have still not decided exactly which way to go yet, for the moment completing the parts of the complex is paramount.

There were some issues with lighting on this building you might have noticed in the previous images, I spent some time today trying to make things look a little better, hopefully that has been achieved:

The arches had been cut out of the mesh, unfortunately this leaves certain issues where the vertices can warp the mesh or you see various faces that appear more shinny than others, try as I might I could not satisfactorily deal with it so eventually decided to use a alpha channel to show the arches, I am happy with it now.

I also had similar troubles with the entrance steps so separated the steps themselves from the rest of that object and built a new piece to attach them to, looks okay I think so I can now move on. 8)

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2019, 01:18:39 PM »

There is russian proverb:
"Ты барин, ты и хозяин"

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2019, 11:55:39 AM »

Nearly there, the last pieces are made. ;)

Maybe I should add a gate to the courtyard arch, what do you think?

I should now be able to map these and sort out the final positions of each building on the template.

Then I get to break it. :D

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2019, 02:15:42 PM »

The gate would be nice. ;)

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2019, 03:21:22 PM »

The gate would be nice. ;)

Okay, gate it is. ;)

Not sure if it would be wooden or one of those ornate metalwork types, wood would be easy, metalwork
might need some alpha channel work.

Not sure what this is supposed to be, for some kind of ceremony I suppose, I copied what was in the
illustration, however, you would imagine there should be some religious artifact there on the podium.

Any thoughts please?

Take care.

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2019, 04:08:51 PM »

Good idea about the door arch. A wood door sounds great , and I could also make an ornate metal style door using
alpha channels on another version of the model.

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2019, 07:58:05 AM »

Finally finished making and mapping the last building, the complex is now complete. ;)

I now have to decide on the damage model, do I just use paint or actually make the complex with a few
holes in things?

I still have some space on the template so I could add some internal ceilings and some beams and roof trusses
for the roofs and domes that I think would take most of the damage on what are usually very strongly made
buildings using predominately large stones:

Anyway, here it all is in game:

All Uzin needs now is a painter to make a decent texture. ;)

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2019, 10:25:15 AM »

Perfection has been realized and created! Congratulations Pete!
THAT looks awesome.
Even the Vatican priests would have approved! LOL  It just looks GREAT all around.

Here are my thoughts on the damaged (Dead) version. Just add an Alpha-channel to the main skin.
With careful cutting out of that Alpha-channel layer , a very good damaged church model can be created, with
nice destroyed roof/ceiling details and windows. A new destroyed wall texture will also be used  too.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2019, 12:25:39 PM »

Hello Max, to do the dead model as we see in stock objects where a damage skin is seen both internal and external I would need to give each building a inner skin, your skin as shown used on one of these buildings would let you see through the windows but this is the effect you would get:

In the image I flipped the face of one of the roof meshes and as you see there is nothing inside, you can see through each wall.

To be able to make every face usable I would have to make a copy of each building and flip it to make the interior walls but it would then be necessary to put space on the texture so both sides could be painted, unfortunately there is none available as you see on my previous skin image to do everything so my proposal was to only give the domes the inner face that way you could cut the hole in a roof and just see into it with the ceiling stopping you seeing into the building underneath.

I could make each building with its own texture so it could display the mapping inside and out but that will take time to make the parts and do the textures.

Anyway, I cut up one building into pieces and tried using one of the parts to make a new building using the existing ones:

Enough today I think, decide tomorrow. :D

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2019, 11:30:24 AM »

Hello guys, I think these are now ready to send to Uzin. ;)

There are no lods yet but the damage model is working, only uses a texture though, no physical damage.

This is each of the buildings now all attached to make one object:

Testing the damage model activates:

I will send Uzin a link later so he can take a look and advise on any changes needed.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2019, 02:43:14 PM »

I took a look at what might be available for download  of those shown in the first post, all can be found as Sketchup files, however, only two might be a possibility. 8)

Two of the cathedrals Etchmiadzin and Tbilisi have a Collada file in their download section which from our point of view gives us access to them through Blender and from there I was able to save them in a 3ds format gmax could open. :o

These are superb models but very high poly and to get them into IL-2 would mean either extracting them in pieces to be assembled by the map/mission builder or use them as a template to make a simplified building.

A third option would be to cut out as many polygons of those models as possible but I really do not like the thought of cutting up such excellent objects that look to me to have been built by someone with a real love for this architecture.

I feel building my own simplified model using them as a template might be the way forward if I decide to give it a try, I will sleep on it. ;)

So much for taking time out, everything I seem to touch ends up in this game, I am doomed to have it part of my life for ever more it seems. :D

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2019, 02:58:00 PM »

The top church model kind of reminds me of that wonderful looking island church off the coast of France, called Mont Saint-Michel  ;D

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 27 queries.