Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Armenian churches and cathedrals?  (Read 20148 times)

Mission_bug

• Modder
Re: Armenian churches and cathedrals?
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2019, 02:51:33 PM »

Pete,
your cathedral is so typical for armenian ones that it might be used also for other cities there, such as f.e. Stepanakert in Nagorny Karabagh, which  I am working  on just now:

Yes, there are many similarities with all Armenian churches and Cathedrals, hopefully once I finish mapping this one it will combined with the earlier monastery give us a good selection of parts I can mix and match to make others, even if not identical certainly something generic that will look near enough. ;)

I can separate and scale certain sections and attach to others, maybe even just make you a set of the basics to assemble yourself and once you have something to your liking then I can assemble those parts for you into a complete building with the shadows and such, unfortunately, there will obviously be variations in size between the previous set and this Cathedral but it should give you an idea of what your particular building would look like and once I have it clear what you need then I can put some thing together.

Right now progress is slow because my mother is ill and I need to spend a lot of time at the hospital but the Cathedral just needs to be mapped and at least it is built so you should be able to see what parts of that could be useful for any later project.

Just leave a space in each city on the map and we will slowly try to fill in the holes by making something for it.

Take care.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2019, 06:45:18 PM »

"Just leave a space in each city on the map
and we will slowly try to fill in the holes by making something for it."

It will be wonderfull, many thanks.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2019, 02:37:34 PM »

Family issues are to the fore at the moment but I managed to finish the arched doorways. ;)

Certainly no great work of art but it will have to do. :D

If I keep the mapping for the parts to the same scale as the rest the detail from the texture is quite poor:

To increase the detail means using a large area of the texture for a more detailed image and it is not
a perfect fit, here the arches and centre doorway:

So, is it worth losing the area that could be used to accommodate further parts of the structure just
to include some extra detail to a few parts?

Should the entrance be given priority as a focal point that leads us into the building or is it better to
keep everything the same in regard to texture detail?

Any thoughts guys please on my dilemma?

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2019, 04:27:46 PM »

That looks FABULOUS  8)

As for your question,
I think if the skin is sized 1024x1024 and there is space for the detailed entrance arch-doors on the skin,
go ahead and use it.
Even if the skin is sized 512x512 , there is still ways to make the little details noticeable.

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2019, 12:02:15 PM »

Hello Max, I agree with you on that as anything that adds more detail to a object has to be welcome but for the moment the idea is on the back burner, however, I thought it important to at least test the possibilities and if the opportunity presents itself I will go ahead with it. ;)

Looking at what I still need to map I will certainly have to make a second texture to put all the parts on, once that is done I will see what space is left over, if any, and decide then.

The building as it is I think will be good to go as a single object, although I need to alter the side doors as they actually have arched doors and I made normal ones as per the front so I will need to test the poly limit then, however, there is also the option to make those doors and their arches as a separate object with their own texture, so I have a number of options I can use if needs be.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2019, 05:19:46 PM »

Hello again, I managed to spend some time on the project again this week. :o

There were some issues with the detailing for the centre tower which I corrected as best
I could so here is how it will ship:

As you can see the building overall is coming close to finish mapping:

Hopefully next time I post mapping will be done I will be making attempts to put the object into the game. ;)

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2019, 12:17:37 PM »

..sorry guys: Holy Trinity cathedral chirch in Tbilisi - its a new, at new place, was build in 2004 year as simbol of new independense Georgia, absolutely non history..
https://www.advantour.com/georgia/tbilisi/sameba.htm

Yes Toobone, we know it is a modern building, however, because of that it uses many of the architectural styles used on Armenian religious buildings that can be seen in the area and as such parts of it can be used to create other buildings old and new, actual or generic in those styles for use in maps of the area so it is worth inclusion in a collection of objects being made for that purpose.  As far as IL-2 goes the map Uzin is creating could also be adapted for a possible jet war map of the area so would require something to also represent the current most modern Armenian religious buildings. ;)

Besides, because I am used to adding objects to this game anything I build just for the fun of it whether historic or not will be tested in IL-2 just to see what it looks like in a game environment, even a modern cathedral that might not ever be used. :D

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2019, 01:06:50 PM »

Yes, Pete, the map could be used (with some modifications) from 1914 up to now.
The main its feature are  mountain lakes and rivers flowing from the hills,  (still WIP).
It takes most of work.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2019, 02:31:58 PM »

Yes, Pete, the map could be used (with some modifications) from 1914 up to now.
The main its feature are  mountain lakes and rivers flowing from the hills,  (still WIP).
It takes most of work.

Map work is a very slow and sometimes tedious process Ivan but if the final result comes close to being how you envisaged then worth all the effort. ;)

Looking forward to seeing those lakes and rivers flowing from the hills in my game, I keep taking a quick look at the WIP thread to see how it is going, so far so good. 8)

Anyway, on we go:

The right side is nearly done apart from one building and the doors, I will just clone these for the other side to replace what is there at the moment. ;)

I need to add some texture work over the bricks to represent some of the ornate arches seen on the outside of the cathedral, suffice to say my artist abilities will not be up to doing a faithful representation but if I get somewhere near it should be okay.

Toobone

• Mapper
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2019, 05:54:10 AM »

because of that it uses many of the architectural styles used on Armenian religious buildings
1.Armenian style ( non ortodoxal). Armenia is the first country in the world to adopt Christianity as a state religion. & only one still used grabar - ancient Armenian language.

2.Georgian style (ortodoxal)

3.Byzantium style (ortodoxal):

even a modern cathedral that might not ever be used. :D
.. why not be used? If temple looks like at the 2-nd shot it can be used for Stambul (Konstantinopol) or any Greece, Bolgaria, Makedonia, Serbia, Russia maps from 1916 to modern time as tipical for oldest monasteries  ;)

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2019, 05:57:48 PM »

That first image is quite spectacular Toobone, could you tell me where it is please?

I am sure it would make a great object for the map Ivan is working on. 8)

The whole idea of this project was to provide Ivan with objects that could be created in a mix and match way to make buildings to represent the various architectural styles, regions and time periods you mention, the first object for a monastery would suffice for the more mountainous regions and the modern Tbilisi cathedral in various sizes and with slightly different parts similar buildings throughout the region. ;)

Once I complete the cathedral I will have quite a mix of parts that can be combined to make other things, at least that is the hope.  :D

The cathedral is now complete and each part mapped:

Due to problems with warping around some arches I changed the faces of most of the parts with
doorways and they now have the arches alpha cut instead of the previous boolean cut outs, hence
the Grey colours now seen where the doorways are.

I have also started to add a overlay with the window details on:

The main doors to the cathedral and their arches have now been mapped to a larger texture that
allows a little more detail to be seen, unfortunately my 3d work is not the best so there are a few
warped bits and pieces. :-[

Here we see the changes:

Not sure how long it will take to do the detail overlays of the brickwork but I will finish that I think
before any attempt is made to take the parts out of gmax to create the objects for the game.

Toobone

• Mapper
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2019, 04:53:46 AM »

That first image is quite spectacular Toobone, could you tell me where it is please?

Its named Tatev monastery:

https://www.mondayfeelings.com/10-monasteries-in-the-caucasus-you-will-not-believe-are-real/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_monasteries_in_Armenia

Once I complete the cathedral I will have quite a mix of parts that can be combined to make other things, at least that is the hope.

Modern Trynity temple in Tbilisi has the largest size among all the churches of Transcaucasia.
This is the answer to the cathedral  Temple of Christ the Savior in Moscow.  :P

All history temples is a smaller as you can see by links.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 25 queries.