Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Armenian churches and cathedrals?  (Read 20128 times)

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
Armenian churches and cathedrals?
« on: December 25, 2018, 02:17:37 PM »

They are of particular appearance, which we not have in Il-2. Perhaps anybody can import or create some of them?
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/collection/d3e107f7e1d1088becaa3c66b0328b42/Armenian-Churches?sortBy=modifyTime%20DESC&searchTab=model&hl=en

EDIT:

Armenian and Georgian churches and cathedrals are different from Orthodox and Catholic, but they are not in our beloved Il-2. Who will be so kind and make these objects? See pictures. It would be enough for two sizes of octagonal towers to create composed objects.
Or do I need to learn it myself , aside with mapmaking, at my age?

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
Re: Armenian churches and cathedrals?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 10:35:51 AM »

Perhaps I must learn to do it by myself?  :(

SAS~Ghost129er

• SAS Team
  • SAS Certified Lurk
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 03:31:32 AM »

Perhaps I must learn to do it by myself?  :(

Sometimes it's the only way and the best way... I mean not to discourage you, but I'm sure you understand what I mean, after all, it's like another skill that we develop and become more advanced into IL-2 modding, right?

Also, these are Sketchup models - they have a tenancy to have a VERY HIGH poly count and too much detail... It is good to use them as reference, but never port/import them directly into IL-2 even if you can convert them easily..

That, or you make 6 levels of LoD to prevent FPS drop and loss. Sure, we have new awesome computers, but not everyone has them and even then, it can still cause problems for some people with high end PC...

Good luck if you decide to take this on your own, I will be willing to support and motivate you on this. :) 
Current activity: Giving his E46 330ci some TLC.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 06:48:35 AM »

As has already been said Sketchup models are not the best base, if those files could be converted so they can be loaded into other programs such as gmax or Blender then the poly issue could be dealt with by reducing them which is a pain, even to make lods for your own existing models takes time and is frustrating as it is very easy to loose the shape of the object and make it look bad to the eye. 

If the building could be imported then instead of reducing the poly count maybe it would be possible to use them as a template to copy from in order to make a new low poly version.

Best bet would be for you to find some good scale drawings instead if they exist so people could make them in the normal way, even having the rough dimensions might help someone to build from a photograph.

Then it is time available and besides making the object you have to map and paint it as well as making the object game ready.

Take care.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 07:08:18 AM »

Even SketchUp model's original polygons are hard to use for Il-2 1946,
whole shape are usable as a 3D drawing and making easier to place our own vertices and polygons than with only 2D drawings / photos.

My GAZ-66, BTR-40, BTR-152, ZU-23-2 models were made by that ways.

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 07:50:43 AM »

If I shall learn object making now then it will almost stop my mapbuilding for quite a long time, I suppose.
Perhaps it is better to finish and release my present map building projects with landsmarks like churches temporarily substituted by so called placeholders of default items, in meantime, either any good soul prepare proper objects, or I can start to learn object making afterwards. What do you say?

Dimlee

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 09:22:52 AM »

By the way...
Those churches could be used on the maps other then those which include Armenia and Georgia. Armenian churches (and Georgian to less extent) are found all over the world. In IL2 maps catalogue they could be put into the maps of Crimea (Yalta), Moscow, Lvov, etc. Even in Singapore ! - not of traditional design though.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 10:32:35 AM »

I see from having a look at Sketchup that it is possible to export to Blender or 3Ds Max if you have one or other, however, to do that you would need the full program otherwise export is locked and at $695 a little expensive I think for most of us.  So it is not possible, at least for me anyway, to test the theory I put across about using a model as a template although western indicates that might be the best way.

Only way for me would be to use drawings with some dimensions on and with the usual views needed for any model, top, side and front and you would have to find that information.  The only other way would be to try freehand from the images you show but again some idea of size would be necessary to make at least a box as a guide and to be honest might not produce good results as some parts could be out of scale.

Also, at least some good photographs to use as textures but they would need to be views aligned to at least front and both sides and not angled or twisted in anyway, maybe you have a church near you to find those type of references.

So sorry without any good information I cannot help.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 07:27:01 AM »

Well, I did say I wanted to spend more of what little time I can spend at the PC developing 3d objects, so why not a Armenian church. ;)

So, maybe:

I took some rough measurements from Sketchup and tried as best I could to take some images of the scenes, however, the perspective is a little off so I cannot claim this will be a exact replica but from a fighter at 300KMH, maybe it will do. :D

I did do a test last night on another trial piece and mapped the parts using the rough images, however, the textures used in the Sketchup model could be copyright so I will have to make others I think but you get a idea of what it might look like:

This might take a while but I made a start. :o

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 07:40:54 AM »

Thank you very much, Pete!
I am patient, so have all the time you need.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 02:21:35 PM »

Hello again, one of the buildings is now more or less done but still using those hack textures for the
moment so I can test where everything maps:

It will need a good painter I think or I will have to search for a good source of matching textures,
photographs of the real thing would help. ;)

I think it is slightly long on one axis, however, once all the various sections are finally attached I
should be able to scale any inconsistencies, if not then it will ship as seen. :D

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 02:33:59 PM »

Pete, it looks fantastic!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 20 queries.