Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Roadbuilder V1.2  (Read 3848 times)

Nowekat

• Modder
Re: Roadbuilder V1.2/HeightAdaptor for plate roads
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 09:38:22 AM »

This tool is an attempt to make the plate roads usable also for uneven terrain. It works simliar to the map builders height tool with the option "Fill" and a texture size of 3. Along a road and a given distance it adjusts the height to the middle height of that route. For this it changes the map_h.tga and creates a "map_hAdjusted.tga." The map_h must be in the same folder.

The distance in question you can adjust in the HeightAdaptor.ini. The second value shifts all roads up or down, this was for testing pruposes only but creates nice canyons or dams.

The tool needs a file "inPlates.txt", which is created by the RoadBuilderV1.2. So i included both tools into the updated download for the roadbuilder.

The tool produces flat sections for the roads but also a kind of height pitches or height steps when reaching the next sector with an other height. The plates show gaps here and are partly invisible when they overlap into the lower height triangle of the map_h. This can be mostly fixed by shifting or adding these plates, but this may be very laborious. To compute this is difficult, i will investiagte this next year.

The link to the HeightAdaptor and the roadBuilderV1.2 you'll find in the first post. I added here also a plate roadnet of the Okinawa map and an adjusted map_h.tga as an example of the reslt. There are some fixes needed, but i think over all this works.

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
Re: Roadbuilder V1.2
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2018, 12:02:27 PM »

Hi, Nowekat,
your HeightAdaptor reminds me the problem with rivers in mountainous area. 
There I must adjust piecevise the height along the river, what I am doing by   
"gradient"  function of GIMP rather sophistically, complicatedly used .
Perhaps this can inspire you further.
Good luck and Happy New Year!

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 06:37:53 PM »

HURRAY! NO MORE weird looking roads , now we can have nicely curved roads!  8) Very cool!

Alas there is a problem  :(
Now all maps must be re-worked. Big problem.

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

Alfie Noakes

• Art Director
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 03:07:34 AM »

I've been following this thread with great interest for some time......and I do believe this mod could be as important and pivotal  to our beloved game as the development of sky textures by istvan, tbauchot and whistler  :-*
For me the only bugbear I've got with IL2 1946 + mods are the awful angular roads (especially on winter maps)
I had thought about requesting a mod that would remove all roads from the maps  :D  but with this mod that won't be necessary  ;D

I do agree with Max though....

Now all maps must be re-worked. Big problem.

A question for all you Java Geniuses/ map makers ........
Would it be possible to make a mod that would convert all roads to curved in one go ?

Cheers

Alfie
Everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds

stanislao

• Modder
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 07:07:54 AM »

:(  I am very happy that Nowekat has opened this discussion on the far more depressing aspect of our Il2 ... I have always hated those saw-toothed roads and railway lines, which are really not tolerable from the point of view of credibility in the realism of maps. .. really hateful! It would take an accurate investigation on the construction of the road lines. Obviously the big problem is the parallel between the curved line and the movement of convoys or individual vehicles that follow an angular trajectory ... In the maps of Nowekat I easily followed the path of the streets breaking the trajectory in brief changes of direction later, it works well and is absolutely acceptable, of course if there was a way to do it automatically would be more convenient and quick but some expert should put their hands ... I prey  for this at least from ten years and I have not stopped hoping .... ;)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 27 queries.