Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gaps in water shallows  (Read 1034 times)

WxTech

• Modder
Gaps in water shallows
« on: December 12, 2018, 09:37:15 AM »

One annoying quirk that's puzzled me for ages is how in some nooks and crannies on a map, where the coast or rivers might be a bit more 'convoluted' (or not!), the shallows are not generated. In spite of map_c.tga having well defined shallow areas. In these odd zones, which have straight borders where lying over water, the water is represented as at full depth right up to the shore. And sometimes a part of the land texture might have a ragged extension out into the water.

I *suspect* this could arise if map_t.tga has too small an area of water versus land in that 32X32 pixel block covered by map_c.tga.

Does anyone have a firmer handle on this issue?
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

SAS~Bombsaway

• Choose your battles wisely.
  • SAS Team
  • A day without laughter is a day wasted
Re: Gaps in water shallows
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 02:23:43 PM »

I've always used the map_c toolbox and what it sounds like is the level of grey scale is not light enough near the shore line. If you open map_c and brighten the grey color near the shore line it should give you more shallows.
Although it has been a long time since I've messed with any of this so I may just be getting senile! :)
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

WxTech

• Modder
Re: Gaps in water shallows
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 10:42:49 PM »

Bombs,
It's not the matter of insufficient lightness of grey. It's just that the game engine for some reason 'refuses' to recognize certain parts of map_c's shallows. The whole 32x32 pixel block for that section is mishandled, including the occasional partial 'bleed' of the land texture out into the water.

I'm thinking it might have to do with map_t having land texture pixels covering the water. This can occur when one is striving to ensure that no ugly 'beach' textures are invading beyond the water's edge, and so the land type pixels must extend out into the water. Especially where the shoreline is convoluted, these land type pixels can end up covering much of map_c's shallows grey areas. At least that's where my provisional theory leads me...
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 24 queries.