Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mr & Mrs Noakes visit the Picture Palace  (Read 1040 times)

Alfie Noakes

• Art Director
Mr & Mrs Noakes visit the Picture Palace
« on: October 10, 2018, 01:44:43 AM »

Myself and the inestimable Mrs Noakes intend to cut along to our local Picture Palace to view Mr Peter Jackson's new "film"

I feel it is our patriotic duty to support our fine boys at the front and to see them not only fighting but also their day to day lives

The film has received favourable reviews from the BBC. viz.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertainment-arts-45803977/peter-jackson-world-war-one-footage-brought-to-life-by-lord-of-the-rings-director

It is rumored that Mr Jackson has "colourised" his film to render the images as close to life as possible

What a time to be alive !

Yours sincerely

Alfred Noakes .esq 
Everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds

sniperton

Re: Mr & Mrs Noakes visit the Picture Palace
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 02:57:56 AM »

Very interesting, but a bit deceptive for me. For technical reasons the original footage was shot in bright sunshine, which makes the colorized version a happy summer birthday party in the garden. Anyway, please report back when you've seen the whole film, I'm really curious about your impressions.

BalDaddy

• Old Scroat
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 03:11:41 AM »

I can see your point there Snippers old chap, but it does bring a new perspective and emotion to the 'black and white war' we are so used to viewing.
A fitting tribute by Jackson, financed out of his own pocket. One could almost forgive him for abandoning the 617 remake!

@ Mr. Noakes, have you viewed 'Hurricane'? yet? I found it somewhat trite, and not as good an offering as the Tv version 'Bloody Foreigners' about 303. Would be interested to read your opinion.

sniperton

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 04:36:36 AM »

it does bring a new perspective and emotion to the 'black and white war' we are so used to viewing.

Yep, that's true, and this is why I'm so much interested. I'll never forget how astonished I was when I first had the opportinity to watch WWII colour footages shot by professional American filmmakers using high-quality film materials and equipment. It was so different from what I was used to, and so close to our own world that I felt it was done just yesterday.

David Prosser

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 04:12:40 PM »

I hope it comes to a theatre in Christchurch. Thanks for the heads up.

Alfie Noakes

• Art Director
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 07:23:15 AM »

For members who missed it on the big screen the BBC are featuring Peter Jackson's "They shall not grow old" on the iPlayer as part of the Armistice commemorations

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0brzkzx/they-shall-not-grow-old

A stunning piece of work.....very moving

Cheers

Alfie
Everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 24 queries.