Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crusader/F4 Phantom explode on take off  (Read 1373 times)

cbradbury

Crusader/F4 Phantom explode on take off
« on: October 09, 2018, 04:09:10 PM »

Hello everyone,

I seem to be getting some possibly strange behaviour in linebacker. If I try a full throttle take off (loaded or unloaded) in the corsair or F4, I invariably seem to explode on the runway when I reach about 180knots. If I throttle to about 90% the aircraft take off ok, but it can be a bit tight as the runway starts running out! Feature or bug?

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
Re: Corsair/F4 explode on take off
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 07:12:36 PM »

The running speed is truly 180 knots ? , instead of 180 km/h ?

180 knots equals 330 km/h ...... Too fast and gears broken ......

In my quick testing, Heavily loaded Corsair (Bombs 1000 lbs. + 2x 500 lbs. , Fuel 100%) can float in 180 km/h (100 knots) and take-off in 200 km/h (110 knots) with 100% throttle without accidents, in taking care of elevator and rudder controls to keep direction and nose-up pitch.

cbradbury

Re: Crusader/F4 Phantom explode on take off
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 01:50:34 AM »

Sorry, I wrote the original post last night when I was tired and therefore was not clear. Firstly, we are talking about the jets. Secondly, the corsair is fine, it is the crusader along with the phantom where the problem lies (I have amended the thread title to reflect this).

Essentially, if I take off at 100-110% throttle the planes explode as soon as I hit c.180knots. Further testing shows that I can set the throttle to 90% without exploding, but of course I am short of power, especially with a weapons loadout.

Another thing, I have noticed that the nosewheel at rest is not quite in the ground, and just before the explosion occurs the aircraft seems to pitch slightly forward i.e. onto the nose wheel. Don't know whether that is significant.

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 02:25:57 AM »

You are retracting the spoilers before the take off run?

Also the speed window for rotation is small. If you go too fast with nosewheel still down, an esplosive noseover will happen. Let it run in neutral until close to rotation speed but then pull the nose off the runway decisively as soon as you can.

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 02:42:52 AM »

Ah... talking about Jet Age ..... all right.

You are retracting the spoilers before the take off run?

Yes, indeed.

Some Jets like F-4 PhantomII 's Airbrakes are made natural down / open when hydraulic pressure is lost in parking / stopping engines and not be reset automatically.
Check Airbrakes position CLOSED (and if NO, operate closing) after engines run and hydraulic pressure is got back.

And Heavy loaded F-4 / F-8 need Flap position LANDING (not Take-off) and throttle 110% w/ Afterburner instead of 100%.
Then around 170 knot (310 km/h) we can begin Rotation and the nose wheel leaves the runway, soon after it , around 180 knot (330 km/h) main wheels also float ..... succeed taking-off.

cbradbury

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 05:33:11 AM »

Thank you for the advice, gentlemen, I have now successfully taken off using your instructions. I always thought that the problem was pilot incompetence, and I was right...

KingTiger503

• Legendary History Luftwaffe Elite Ace ,,, FAC# 53
  • Supporter
  • KT503 Elite
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 05:36:48 AM »

Bard, i was Concern about that, But Take off Limit is 300 K/mph on the Runway, It Does not Excess for higher speed then 310 K/mph. otherwise it will Overrun and Crash off the Runway, Soo Be careful. I test it Some Runways for Take-off and Landing.

Best Regards KT503
My Greatest and Best Regards KT503
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 27 queries.