Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WIP Northern Germany map  (Read 2857 times)

mandrill

• Modder
WIP Northern Germany map
« on: October 08, 2018, 11:05:05 AM »

This is a project that I have been working on for a while. It's a redraw / retexture of SpitK's big northern Europe map and covers the region from Antwerp to the Oder and the Danish border down to a little south of the Ruhr. I'm not sure what to do about populating it, as it is massive and I do not want an unloadable map. My current idea is to have several version with different actors.static's covering different areas. That way, it won't be too huge and the gamer can choose which campaign area he / she wants to fly.

Right now it is unpopulated, except for Canon airfields in the appropriate place for Reichsverteidigung airfields and air bases. I intend to make a new version of the map for Cold War jet base scenarios.

Here are some screenies:

1. This is the port of Hamburg.

2. Flying south away from Hamburg

mandrill

• Modder
Re: WIP Northern Germany map
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 11:11:21 AM »

3. Over Braunschweig

4. Over Das Bergland south of Hannover

Nowekat

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 10:48:46 AM »

Is that map in BAT or VP and if, how is it named? I didn't found it. Populating a real big map seems to be realy much work as some changes where needed allways and everywhere. Or placing not a handfull but hundreds of railway stations and a lot of airports. There is a big westfront map that concentrates to spezial areas, that may be not a bad idea. Or what about cutting out smaler areas of interest as maps of its own? Anyway, big maps are also great!

Nowekat

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 04:46:02 PM »

It's just a WiP. I posted it on the wrong page in fact. It needs a few more weeks of work.

David Prosser

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 04:00:20 PM »

If you have a smart phone. You can use the Google maps feature to check out the layout of ports, and rail yards. For example, Douai, and Leige have huge rail yards. Just leave them as a basic layout. Same for the airfields. That'll save time, and reduce the number of objects too.

cheers

David

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 04:31:42 PM »

If you have a smart phone. You can use the Google maps feature to check out the layout of ports, and rail yards. For example, Douai, and Leige have huge rail yards. Just leave them as a basic layout. Same for the airfields. That'll save time, and reduce the number of objects too.
cheers
David

You mean use a screen shot of the maps as a tile?

David Prosser

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 01:44:24 PM »

No, just use it as a reference for size, shape, and location. Any street on a navigable river with the word quai, or quay in it's title is likely to have berthing facilities for barges, or lighters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 26 queries.