Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battle of Britain: Kościuszko (303) Squadron  (Read 4251 times)

vonofterdingen

• Missioneer
Battle of Britain: Kościuszko (303) Squadron
« on: September 27, 2018, 02:47:58 PM »

A 21-mission static campaign for IL-2 1946 (modded with BAT or VP Modpack). This is an older campaign of mine that I have updated for compatibility with these mod packs; I have also added tax-to-takeoff in most missions.

Link:  http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads3&file=details&id=372

This campaign chronicles the activities of 303 Squadron during the Battle of Britain. 303, or Kościuszko squadron was a key RAF fighter squadron in the battle and by many accounts the best Hurricane-equipped squadron in the battle. The squadron was comprised of Polish pilots who had escaped occupied Poland after having fought the Luftwaffe in the first air actions of WWII. Though experienced pilots, the Poles were only grudgingly accepted into the RAF; many RAF commanders considered them to be undisciplined and insisted on many hours of training. This did not sit well with the experienced Polish pilots who were eager to avenge the German attack on their country. Fortunately for all, dire necessity forced the RAF to make 303 and other Polish squadrons operational.

The missions are primarily historical. Most are based on real events and occur in game on the day and time (when known) as they occurred in 1940.  In some instances I adjusted the number of aircraft for the sake of playability.
Prerequisites:

This campaign was written and tested using the SAS BAT and VP mod packs. For information, see:

•   BAT: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,53691.0.html
•   VP modpack: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,50919.0.html

The campaign may also be compatible with other modded IL-2 systems, though I have not personally tested any others. 

Requires Canon’s English Channel map, which is provided as part of the mod packs.

Installation:
1.   Decompress the zipped 303_Squadron.zip file to a temporary directory.
2.   Copy the decompressed Missions folder and the PaintSchemes folder to your IL-2 1946 root folder.
3.   Open the campaign as a RAF Pilot.

Game Play Notes:
If you install the skins provided in the installation files, use HurricaneMkI_RF-T_303 for your pilot skin throughout the campaign (set to no markings).

There are no air starts in this campaign.

Acknowledgements:
•   Special thanks to Canon for creating this extraordinary map.
•   Thanks to my father for teaching me about WWII; he served in a C-47 out of Greenham Commons.
•   Thanks to Tommy, a Polish immigrant in Akron Ohio who cut my hair when I was a little boy and told me stories of the Polish fighter pilots in the RAF.

Skin Credits:
•   Hurricanes: 1.Java_Serval, Canon, No457_Foxtrot
•   BF-109s: Canon, VP_Media
•   BF_110s: VP_Media
•   Blenheims: VP_Media
•   HE-111s: VP_Media
•   JU-88s: Imme
•   Spitfire MkI: Canon, Kristorf

Please report any issues or bug reports here or via my email (see readme).

vegetarian

Re: Battle of Britain: Kościuszko (303) Squadron
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 07:36:05 AM »

I remember playing the original - an excellent campaign. Looking forward to playing this updated version. Thank you vonofterdingen.

EHood

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 08:12:48 AM »

I remember playing the original - an excellent campaign. Looking forward to playing this updated version. Thank you vonofterdingen.

Same here, and I'd like to offer my own thanks. I've only had time to test the first mission, but it flew very well in my Bat Linebacker.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
A ya tsi-tsalagi.

CDS025_DOGO

• Saludos Camaradas
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 01:58:25 PM »

Thank you very much.
Be interesting as the 303 squad movie

vonofterdingen

• Missioneer
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 06:05:25 PM »

I have always found the story of 303 squadron interesting. It would make a good  movie.

Thanks to you all for the kind words.

David Prosser

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 07:20:06 PM »

Funny you should say that. Someone did just that. The movie is called Hurricane. There's another one called Spitfire coming soon.

CDS025_DOGO

• Saludos Camaradas
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 07:57:56 PM »

Funny you should say that. Someone did just that. The movie is called Hurricane. There's another one called Spitfire coming soon.

It's true the movie is called hurricane, but it's based on 303 Sqn. ;)
I did not know about the spitfire movie, thanks for the info  :)

David Prosser

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 01:13:51 AM »

You're welcome. I might even cough up actual dosh for movie tickets.

Alien_12

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 03:37:15 PM »

It's true the movie is called hurricane, but it's based on 303 Sqn. ;)
I did not know about the spitfire movie, thanks for the info  :)

Well, from the historical point of view the movie was sadly no better than Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor. It was pure fiction, I haven't really found anything real in it.

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 08:33:48 PM »

Not sure if it's the same movie but I've seen a couple of scenes from a movie specifically called "303 Squadron".  I believe it's the same one.  I've caught the same couple of scenes each time I come across it and both times it bothered me in that in one scene, the lone Hurricane out for a test flight and he gets jumped by a 109.  He promptly turns the tables on the 109 and damages the 109 and gets him smoking.
There's another scene earlier/later in the movie (not sure which having only seen bits of it) which is similar in that the Polish Hurricane pilot gets the better of a 109.

The thing that bothers me in both scenes is that the 109s get shot up by the Polish pilots and the German pilots announce they are breaking off and heading for home, as if it's the German pilots choice.  Both times it just seemed a bit weird, particularly considering the Polish pilots were supposedly viciously tenacious.

Comments?

vonofterdingen

• Missioneer
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 11:09:09 PM »

I agree Tomoose. From what I have heard the Poles had a score to settle and were relentless in their pursuit of German aircraft,  including ramming if necessary.

Spider16

• Non nobis Domine non nobis sed nomini tuo da glori
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 08:29:51 AM »

First of all, I would like to thank Vonofterdingen for producing this "tribute" to the Polish RAF 303 squadron, however, I am facing some "strange facts" in the reproduction of the missions. The "damn" Hurricane I, hardly exceeds 300 km per hour in level flight at full power and even on steep dives, it barely manages to exceed 500 km / h, not to mention "crashes" of micro seconds in reproduction whenever you enter the effective distance attack against enemy fighters and bombers. Against fighters it is even worse because these hundredths of a second cause them to evade the attack and sometimes pass the attack action, without being able to avoid damage as the hurricane reacts like a crowded cart and also with the effects of these micro locks.
Thank you for your attention. My version of IL2 is 1946 BAT 3.8.2 .

Cheers

Carlos
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 24 queries.