Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Yesterday's (8/26/18) sortie with Clown's was great.  (Read 3037 times)

Gubi

• Flying Ass Clown #34
  • Modder
  • RIP
Yesterday's (8/26/18) sortie with Clown's was great.
« on: August 27, 2018, 03:26:16 PM »

Just wanted to say to the Clown's who were present, yesterday, during my ignominious demonstration of not how to bring a Pony home, that I really had a blast.  For an ol' geezer, that's a pretty cool thing.  Briefly:  We were flying over Sardinia, I think '43, or so...  I felt giddy so, instead of a mudmover or a piece of crap, I picked the P-51A.  Took off, ambled and staggered about the air until Fresco picked up on me and offered to join up.  I agreed...and quickly finagled it, that he became the flight leader.  Soon we were off chasing, what I mistakingly described as a 109, that turned about to be an Mc.205 (...expertly driven by BD, if I recall correctly).  It was great.  Eventually Fresco won (cheers BD!) and then I saw an He.111 off over on a mountain ridge...it turned out to be Skylla.  Nevertheless I went off chasing towards the Heinkel, crossing over a blue position, and my engine was completely stopped...in an instant...by FLAK.  I was just getting altitude up to the high ridge...thus did have some altitude, but the immediate terrain offered a maze of valleys, that were not very deep, where I was.  I followed them around, of course, loosing altitude (no motor)...Fresco advising me on navigation toward our lines...I was in Indian Country...  Belly flopped the girl, in relatively good condition, prop and some skinning on the belly...but hopped out...right at the take off point for an Allied armored assault up to the pass that I had just flown over.  In real time, and here, Gentlemen, is where my Sunday became quite cool...again I say, "In Real Time"...I hopped out of my Pony, right alongside a road being used by Cruiser Tanks...heading up to the pass.  Nebelwerfers, of all things, were screaming in from out over the pass.  They didn't do much damage, but they were real loud.  I described this all to the Clowns as they were flying.  In real time...just watching the tanks roll by, after I'd ditched...not knowing how, the hell, I was gonna get back to base...one of the tankers might have said to me, that trucks would be following...but Shermans came instead, and they passed the pass and crossed over.  I was thinking, to myself..."Shit, if I have to spend the night here, I can go over to that wrecked Cruiser and get some shelter.  The idea was not really attractive.  Nevertheless, Clowns, and anyone yet interested, we do have quite a good time on the SAS Dogfight Server on Sunday mornings.  Cheers to all.
I am a moron.

anitek

Re: Yesterday's (8/26/18) sortie with Clown's was great.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 03:33:06 PM »

Gubi - Don't you love landing a dead stick at the end of a combat mission?..makes you wanna go get chow and imbibe.

Gubi

• Flying Ass Clown #34
  • Modder
  • RIP
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 03:39:55 PM »

...yeah..."in real time"...I was sitting on the wing of my bird, watching the tanks roll by, waiting for a truck...and smoking cigarettes.  My beer was calling me, loud and clear from my refrigerator...but I was sitting there, smoking a cigarette and waiting for a truck.  C'est la vie.  That's French.  Cheers
I am a moron.

Gubi

• Flying Ass Clown #34
  • Modder
  • RIP
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 03:58:28 PM »

...just to make it more complete...one of the things that made me chuckle was the comment I heard over TS...when I was sitting on the wing of my bird, waiting for a truck and smoking a cigarette...was a Clown utter..."hmmm...two minutes to RRR, crap...".  Cheers, Gentlemen
I am a moron.

Fresco23

• Part-Time Skinner
  • Modder
  • F.A.C. #23
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 04:51:39 PM »

It was indeed a great session! After Gubi's adventure, and linking up with the allied ground assault, I brought my tough P-47 "Jug" back to the fight with a heavy load of rockets and a 1000lber, intent on supporting Gubi's armored advance. Instead I was intercepted by Skylla in His Fw190, who engaged me at low altitude just over the lines. I jettisoned my 1000lb airbrake and engaged Skylla. I believe he had the advantage, but the "Jug" will fly like a champ if you treat her right, and I was able to give Skylla a few surprises! Our initial fight was short-lived however, as I was jumped while engaged with Skylla. After I crashed, I returned in another '47, clean this time, and again I met Skylla, now in a 109, and we engaged into what is probably the best PvP dogfight I've ever experienced. I was pushing the "Jug" to its limits, and Skylla's flying was masterful. We ranged over miles, from the literal treetops to the heavens, all the while under the watchful eye of Storbror who this time ensured that our duel remained a 1v1 affair. We both landed hits, but no one was mortally wounded. At the end, we saluted and both returned home.

To anyone who is able, I strongly encourage you to join us for one of our sunday sessions. You may just enjoy yourself!
cogito, ergo sum armatus

Gubi

• Flying Ass Clown #34
  • Modder
  • RIP
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 05:20:45 PM »

Agreed Fresco, wonderful.  However, out of sight of the public...I scolded the Storebror for letting Skylla drive away.  I told him, "Next time, drive him around the block, before you let him go".  After all...he was a kraut.  Cheers Skylla, Storebror, Krim and Fresco.  Prost.
I am a moron.

Gubi

• Flying Ass Clown #34
  • Modder
  • RIP
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 06:05:23 PM »

...to keep things in perspective..."Krim"...was the "blue" guy who jumped in and saved Skylla's ass the first time.  So, just to be perfunctual, Krim performed his duty great.  Cheers and prost.
I am a moron.

SAS~Skylla

• Flying Ass Clown N°24
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 03:10:28 AM »

It was a very nice session last sunday indeed.

Go figure, I even managed to have some fun in a 109 which I normally don't like at all :D

As for our first meeting, Fresco, I think it was you who intercepted me. I was on your lower left and tried to sneak away since you had the altitude advantage.
Unfortunately you spotted me.
The fight after that .. well, I am still curious how it would've went on without krim joining it. As far as I remember, you had the upper hand most of the time, but I remember seeing a few good chances for me as well .. in any case, it was thrilling! Maybe we can repeat this at some point ;)
When all else fails: read the instructions!

Fresco23

• Part-Time Skinner
  • Modder
  • F.A.C. #23
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 09:09:22 PM »

Indeed we should Skylla! Perhaps in a couple weeks i shall challenge you. Unfortunately I shall miss this coming weeks festivities as I travel home to Alabama to visit family. Have a great Sunday for me you guys!
cogito, ergo sum armatus

SAS~Skylla

• Flying Ass Clown N°24
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 08:40:58 AM »

Yesterday's session was a blast again ...

What really worked well this time was flying in pairs. I had the pleasure to be wingman of Gerula and later Fresco (fighting with you is as thrilling as fighting against you!).
That's what I really like the most here, cooperation. When it comes to me, we could be doing this all the time: Grouping up in pairs and planning our attacks together.

The duels over Korea in the end were interesting too (this time cooperation with Ricky, SimFTR and Gerula against PvF, Fresco, Mike and BalDaddy in MiGs), albeit I have to say that fighting in those jets is not that thrilling - at least for me.

Anyway, cheers Gentlemen - I hope you enjoyed yourselves like I did ;D
When all else fails: read the instructions!

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 08:54:02 AM »

If time would permit and if I wasn't such an FMB idiot, I'd love to do some sort of Korea action where there's more AI planes in the air and the mission itself would be coop (single sided) style.
MiGs and Sabres can be endless fun, your "Indian Gulf Incident" mission is a good example.
It takes a bunch of AI jets outnumbering the player ones by far, plus a couple of bombers to fight and a few ground target objectives to achieve.
Even missiles can be fun if you have 5 AI jets on your tail, launching the missiles on you like crazy clowns 8)
PvP I tend to agree. Sabres and MiGs aren't as much fun in that case because their flight model just doesn't feel right in our subsonic 1946 world.

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

SAS~Ghost129er

• SAS Team
  • SAS Certified Lurk
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 05:22:47 PM »

Indeed it was. I was supposed to be there on the Session for the 23rd but slept in after almost I think, 26 hours of no sleep, didn't end well. I've missed a bunch  of sessions and was really looking forward to it. It was good to be back with the Squadron, especially on comms. Reminds me of day's I'd drop on to say hi but even recently couldn't do that since I was away from home for a month and all.

Tl;dr it's good to be back with the family. (F.A.C., not mine. :P :)) )   
Current activity: Giving his E46 330ci some TLC.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 26 queries.