Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All game sounds gone  (Read 1165 times)

Maximilian Klinger

• Usually late
All game sounds gone
« on: August 26, 2018, 03:44:23 PM »

Hi everyone. I apologise if this is in the wrong section.
Since earlier today, I'm experiencing a loss of every sound in the game (from menu music to flight sounds). I'm using IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 with BAT 3.4 Linebaker installed.
I've got a copy of the game (also with BAT 3.4 Linebaker) on an external HDD, and if I launch the game from there, the sound works fine, so the problem must be on the copy installed on my PC.
I've checked the "sound" file in the IL-2 folder (on the PC) and it gives me that:

-- new session --
num channels 16
cannot open file for reading
Cannot open audio file samples/Bk37l.wav
cannot open file for reading
Cannot open audio file samples/Bk37l.wav
Speaker config restored.
Audio finished.

In several years playing this game I've never experienced such a problem (altough I'm not very practical with configuration files and all this stuff). I've tried to check the conf.ini file in the PC folder and it seems to be fine (SoundUse=1). I also sobstituted the "samples" folder and the "conf.ini" file in the PC copy of the game with the ones from the HDD, to no effect.
(On a side note, when I launch the game from the HDD, during the initial loading it shows that the game is updated to BAT 3.4 Linebacker, as it actually is. On the PC however, even if the game is updated to BAT 3.4, it still shows as if it's updated to BAT 3.2 Angels High).
So... what should I do? It's pretty annoying with no sound whatsoever.

Vampire_pilot

Re: All game sounds gone
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 10:21:43 PM »

On the PC however, even if the game is updated to BAT 3.4, it still shows as if it's updated to BAT 3.2 Angels High.

then your PC game is faulty.
Run installer of BAT 3.3 and then installer of BAT 3.4 again on your PC game, maybe this will fix it.

you could also completely delete the PC game folder and simply replace it with a copy of the working HDD one.

Maximilian Klinger

• Usually late
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 08:38:30 AM »

Thanks for the reply!
I re-installed BAT 3.3 and BAT 3.4 on the PC but nothing happened (by the way, I've got Windows 10). I moved (*) the "IL-2 Sturmovik 1946" from the "Program files (x86)" folder into another one (still on C:) and the sound came back, however I can't play anymore in widescreen (1440x900x32), and all my campaigns and "personalized" controls (like bombsight, bomb doors, etc etc) were reset as default. If I put the "IL-2 Sturmovik 1946" folder back into "Program files (x86)" then I got the widescreen back, but I loose the sound.
 WTF is happening? I didn't do any update or change to the PC recently. :(
P.S. even if I re-installed BAT 3.3 and BAT 3.4, on the loading screen it's still written BAT 3.2 Angels High.

* I've never moved the game folder from program files (x86) before, today I gave it a try because when I launch the Il-2 selector I always get a pop up telling that I have insufficient file access permission and to try to move to another location. Given what happened to the game, I decided to give it a try.

Flying H

• "And you can fly, high as a kite if you want to..
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 02:21:10 PM »

Never ever keep your game in the programs folder! That one has the nasty winprotection that messes things up. Before moving thegame out copy the conf.ini file  and the users folder as a backup to somewhere else, check the contents of the settings.ini in users <pilotname> where the pesonelized cantrols are stored, if they are the ones you´ve set up. After moving out the game compare the conf.ini files wth i.e file compare tool found at www.script-debugger.com. If they are ok go ahead and fly, otherwise make the nessesery canges to the one ingame and keep the other for backup! Do the same with the settings files in your <pilot names>folder. Hope this helps! ;)
And you can fly, high as a kite, if you want to.........

Maximilian Klinger

• Usually late
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 11:56:22 AM »

I've moved the IL-2 folder from program files (x86) into another one. But, as I mentioned earlier, if on one hand I regain sound, on the other i loose the widescreen. I've tried many times to restore it (even by changing the conf.ini file. I've got a clean back up, just in case...), but to no effect whatsoever. Is there maybe another folder that needs to be moved or checked that regulates the graphic settings? I mean, is there a way to have back both the sound and widescreen? :D

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 12:01:45 PM »

you just need to put the resulution into the conf.ini.

No other folder outside the main game folder is involved.

Maximilian Klinger

• Usually late
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 01:20:16 PM »

I've tried, but it doesn't work :( Am seriously considering disinstalling the game and reinstalling it.
P.S. if I save the content of the "mission" folder (so the missions and campaigns) and after I re-installed the game I put it back into the same folder it does it work or it's a stupid idea?

Flying H

• "And you can fly, high as a kite if you want to..
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 03:53:11 PM »

Check first if your conf.ini is set to "read only"! If so right click and go into properties and change that.
And you can fly, high as a kite, if you want to.........
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 24 queries.