Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gmax: How to correct minor display issues? - SOLVED  (Read 3041 times)

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
Re: Gmax: How to correct minor display issues?
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 12:59:51 PM »

I don't think it's an issue of Null material (did you use it?). It seems to be from cloning/mirroring the object (have had countless issues like this because of mirroring/symmetry modified in 3ds Max...)...

Ah.... so.... in GMAX / 3ds Max , after mirroring operation (and talking strictly; also rotating) ,
we HAVE TO do "XForm Reset" operation as some modeler said (might not here, but similar topic recently) ---- and not to forget
 "Collapse" operation. Without "Collapse" , some stacked operations are ignored in Exporting msh time.

When we apply "XForm Reset" + "Collapse" operation, all mirrored polygons become inverted.
But that's not a big problem. Only choosing all the polygons (by Ctrl+A shortcut keybind or something) and push "Flip" button. That's all.

SAS~Ghost129er

• SAS Team
  • SAS Certified Lurk
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2018, 03:37:24 PM »

~snip~

There's actually two ways to do that. I had this similar issue on the DHC-1 I started way long ago. However, I figured this method of yours out but something made me feel like it isn't right as it shouldn't need to be flipped. I understand why we have to and why we do it for buggy buggy, but technically speaking, from having experience in other modding scenes, this would make it half inverted in other simulators. I had a much longer way of resolving this issue that does not affect the shadow/smoothing since I noticed this above method had a tendency to cause irregular lighting/shading issues on a model. Experimentation will have to be done again for me to give accurate feedback, but I digress.

In regards to the problem here - his models is fine and doesn't need flipping as shown above. I think it's something else.

I'm lost.
Current activity: Giving his E46 330ci some TLC.

vonOben

• Modder
  • Wer den Tod fürchtet, hat das Leben verloren.
    • vonOben's Flight Sim Mods
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 04:03:36 AM »

When we apply "XForm Reset" + "Collapse" operation, all mirrored polygons become inverted.
But that's not a big problem. Only choosing all the polygons (by Ctrl+A shortcut keybind or something) and push "Flip" button. That's all.

Hi

I've tried "XForm Reset" + "Collapse" and also "XForm Reset" + "Collapse" + Flip, but it made no difference when displayed in IL-2 1946.  :(

Could it be a material issue?

When I checked the original radiator (exported 3ds opened in Gmax) it looks like this:

But the material for my radiator look like this:

I recall that it is important that the material ID no is 1, but my material don't have that....   :-[

Best regards

vonOben
vonOben's Flight Sim Mods  http://vonoben.free.fr/ Twenty Years online January 3, 2022!

vonOben

• Modder
  • Wer den Tod fürchtet, hat das Leben verloren.
    • vonOben's Flight Sim Mods
Re: Gmax: How to correct minor display issues? - SOLVED
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2018, 04:32:44 AM »

I was not able to solve the display problem, so I started from scratch making a completely new radiator mesh in Gmax.

This time it worked, not sure what went wrong initially....

vonOben's Flight Sim Mods  http://vonoben.free.fr/ Twenty Years online January 3, 2022!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 21 queries.