Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A lot of people losing their installs due to Steam revoking keys  (Read 327 times)

SAS~Bombsaway

• Choose your battles wisely.
  • SAS Team
  • A day without laughter is a day wasted

I have been watching this develop this morning and it doesn't look good. I guess there are third party sites that sold a lot of keys to games that were bought with stolen credit cards?

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/37968-removed-items/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/307960/discussions/0/2534848209933630609/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/307960/discussions/0/2534848209933744740/

I hope they get things worked out and help those who have lost money on this.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Ask me if I care.
    • Friendly Fire isn't.
Re: A lot of people losing their installs due to Steam revoking keys
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 11:52:28 AM »

Well that's a 3rd party reseller issue.
Honestly, don't these guys ever wonder why something that costs 60 bucks at the official stores (IL-2 and Steam) just takes 12, 15 or maybe 18 bucks at G2A or Kinguin?
That's like buying into those wonderful equity funds which promise a 150% growth within a year.
Sure, nobody says that it couldn't happen, but those 150% are just the balance for your risk of a full loss.
Same goes for those cheap 3rd party relesser keys.
They charge you 1/5th of the official price because in average only every 5th key (if at all) might be legal.

]cheers[
Mike
Learn. Challenge. Improve. In loving memory of the times when I cared...

SAS~Bombsaway

• Choose your battles wisely.
  • SAS Team
  • A day without laughter is a day wasted
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 12:06:10 PM »

Yes and I can understand how people get duped. Money is tight so they go for a deal only to find out it was maybe a sham. I'm just glad I got mine through Steam and will be ok. I just got this after years of wanting it and then saw this. :)
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Ask me if I care.
    • Friendly Fire isn't.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 03:45:07 AM »

If you got it from Steam directly you will be safe.
I see that money is tight, but even more so it makes no sense to spend that tight money on shady racketeers.

Here's the official reply to the issue by the way, exactly what I've told:
Pilots,

Just a reminder to NOT buy any of our products from unlicensed "grey" market websites. You are all aware which sites I am referring too. Today while doing some back end work related to our recent and improved Steam integration, we deactivated a batch of old keys that appeared to be unused so we could replace them with some fresh updated keys needed for a special program. These new keys were to be used to meet some other obligations we promised our customers related to Steam. Turns out a large percentage of those keys were obtained through fraud and abuse and then sold second-hand through grey market sites that do not have a license to sell our products. As we have stated before, such keys are subject to deactivation at any time once the fraud is either purposely or in the case, accidentally discovered. Combating fraudulent purchases is a never ending battle and we have taken steps to minimize this so we can avoid what happened today. But we can't beat this problem alone. If you like our products, protect yourself by buying only through our website direct or through Steam direct or from one of our few licensed re-sellers like Gamersgate etc. If you have a question about a retailer ask us and we will let you know if they are legit.

If a key or product you own was inadvertently deactivated that was bought direct from us or direct from Steam contact our support and we will investigate your case. You will need to show proof that you made the direct purchase for us to re-instate the product. If your key was deactivated and you bought it from a grey market site you need to contact them for a refund. We have ZERO control over their policies and have ABSOLUTELY NO relationship with them whatsoever, hence why we do not encourage anyone to buy from such websites.

We offer many aggressive discounts and promo codes throughout the year and there is really no need to buy from such sites. There are even several users who purchase many licenses and give them away to players with little money. This community is quite generous. Such fraud is the worst kind of greed and it is perpetrated by scum who don't care about your hobby or this small genre. Don't reward them by buying from grey market sites.

Jason
https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/37982-do-not-buy-from-greyblack-market-websites/

]cheers[
Mike
Learn. Challenge. Improve. In loving memory of the times when I cared...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 26 queries.