Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to fill cowling gap - SOLVED (due to idiocy)  (Read 948 times)

WxTech

• Modder
Trying to fill cowling gap - SOLVED (due to idiocy)
« on: July 14, 2018, 08:18:25 PM »

For the first time trying this, I'm attempting to fill the annoying gap in the near end of the cowling on the P-36 mod I'm cooking up.

The plane is the stand-alone P-36, which formerly was based on the P-40B but has been made unique so as to not have ties to the wrong P-40 'pit. (This mod is available here at SAS.)

The original P-40-based P-36/Hawk-75 filled the cowling gap by use of engine1chunk.msh (but the wrong P-40 nose, of course.)

I just took the relevant cowling parts from the CF_D0.msh in the Hawk-75's plane folder, and made up a new engine1chunk.msh file, using the material Gloss1DOo.mat. I'm pretty sure I've applied the correct transformation matrix and translation values. But I'm seeing nothing appearing. No errors are being thrown up, either.

Is there something I'm overlooking? Do I need to copy into the cockpit folder the Gloss1D0o.mat file (and perhaps the stand-in Gloss1DOo.tga as well)? Somehow I don't think so, but it seems almost magical for a mesh in the cockpit folder to be able to 'know' to look in the plane folder for these materials. ;)

As you can see, I've still got stuff to learn...

Thanks for any assistance!

[Added in EDIT]

My problem was the most basic one due to being brain dead.

I have two MODS; the basic P-36, and the Finnish update. I put the new cowling mesh in the basic mod folder, but the Finnish one is higher in the list and hence is read first. So I just had to move the mesh up there and add its entry to hier.him.

It's working now, he says sheepishly... ;)
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

WxTech

• Modder
Re: Trying to fill cowling gap - SOLVED (due to idiocy)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 01:31:03 AM »

And it's long past time that I tried this technique to cover up those nasty gaps due to the clip distance rendering the nearer parts invisible.

But I'll have to do some 'custom' fitting to smoothly mate the cowl with the forward rim along the lower windscreen...
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 23 queries.