Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GPU Performance in BoS  (Read 2031 times)

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
GPU Performance in BoS
« on: July 06, 2018, 02:39:39 AM »

Hi Folks,

Every now and then, the question comes up whether or not a certain graphics card is suitable for IL-2 Great Battles series aka "Battle of Stalingrad".
There's lots of things to consider in order to precisely answer such question, for instance
  • Screen Resolution
  • Desired Frame Rate
  • VR yes/no
  • Desired Detail Level

To give you an idea of what is to be expected at least, below you can find a graph where data from various sources (GPU Boss, User Benchmark, PassMark etc.) has been aggregated in order to generate an overview of gaming performance of different Nvidia cards in Full HD resolution.
How to read the chart?
The Legend in the upper right corner of the chart shows you which color referes to which GPU family/series.
E.g. an Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti belongs to the "1000" series, a GTX 750 belongs to the "700" series and so on.
The X-Axis of the Chart shows the subtype of the card. In our examples above, the GTX 1070 Ti is of "70 Ti" subtype whereas the GTX 750 is of "50" subtype.
The Y-Axis shows the performance to be expected. It's scaled logarithmically because otherwise you won't see much.
100% on that axis is the reference value you need to play Battle of Stalingrad in Full HD (1920x1080) resolution with "Ultra" Settings and achieve about 60 FPS - that's what an Nvidia GTX 970 is able to deliver.

Note that newer series cards are usually more expensive, yet give a better energy efficiency at the same performance level - in general, energy consumption raises with the card subtype.
Also note that 400 and 500 series apparently can't run Battle of Stalingrad in the current version, at least according to user reports. While Nvidia officially released a new driver for these cards to make them DirectX 11/12 compatible, they seem to lack certain hardware components required to run BoS.

Missing values don't necessarily mean that such card doesn't exist. Sometimes it was just lack of performance data that made it impossible to plot certain values precisely.

Long story short, here's the graph (click to see it in full resolution, to be able to read the data):

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

sniperton

Re: GPU Performance in BoS
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 03:59:49 AM »

Thank you very much, Mike. I would add two things, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. 100% stands for absolutely safe FPS in almost all situations with maxed-out settings. As a 1050 Ti owner (rated at 44.2%) I can attest that there's a broad grey zone below 100%, where BoX runs just fine without significant performance loss after making a few compromises (in my case shadows and grass quality tuned down, SSAO and HDR turned off).

2. FPS doesn't tell everything. Actual game performance may vary according to map, location, weather, and game situation, sometimes independently from your GPU. These are game optimization issues, where the CPU seems to be the bottleneck instead.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 04:06:27 AM »

Yes that's true.
It's also great to talk to a 1050 Ti owner as another famous guy from our team is just about to consider buying one.
Good to know it works fine.
Indeed the 100% mark is like you can max out almost everything and still get safe 60 FPS in almost all situations.
Kuban map, 64 bombers in their air dropping their load through heavy clouds right into a dusty Новороссийск harbour hitting a bunch of fuel tanks, with heavy AAA on the defense, will get you way less than 60 FPS even if you happen to be running one of the bigger chinese bitcoin mining farms 8)
"Almost all situations" is to be understood like "normal to high map population, normal to large maps - not both at the same time and no crazy things happening".

And if your card is below the 100% mark, you will probably have to disable certain things to still have stable 60 FPS under common situations.
Quite like you mentioned, ticking off SSAO or HDR, or tweaking the rendering distance or grass or mirror or cloud quality will be sufficient down to about 30%.
Below that, you will probably have no fun on "Ultra" setting anymore, and have to start turning down the general setting and maybe AA setting.

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

SAS~Bombsaway

• Choose your battles wisely.
  • SAS Team
  • A day without laughter is a day wasted
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 09:28:32 AM »

I didn't know I was famous.  :D Thank you Mike for all your help and patience with this. To the average buyer, the bigger the number, the better it must be.  ;D
After politely explaining it to me 50 times I'm starting to get it.  :D That's why I thank you for your patience.  :)
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dimlee

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 03:22:50 AM »

Great chart which will help to many in their buying decisions, I'm sure.
Thanks a lot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 26 queries.