Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Bite of the Black Widow  (Read 928 times)

DHumphrey

• Missioneer
  • Campaign / Mission Builder
Bite of the Black Widow
« on: July 03, 2018, 03:01:37 PM »

Hello All,

Here is my "newest" campaign creation for the community.

A semi-historical 23-mission campaign based on units that flew the P-61 Black Widow Fighter in the Pacific and Europe in 1944 thru the end of the war in 1945.

When the United States entered the war in December 1941, the wheels were already in motion for production of a specialized American all-weather night fighter. Northrop won the contract for what would become the P-61 Black Widow, the first aircraft designed from the ground up for the task. It would carve out a widely feared reputation with both Japanese and Luftwaffe aircrews that flew night missions. The Widow’s lethal bite could rival anything the enemy had to offer. It bristled with four forward-firing 20mm cannons in the belly and a dorsal turret that held four .50-caliber machine guns.

The first P-61s did not reach the forward areas in the Pacific until late June 1944. As a result, the Black Widow’s amazing record was compiled in just over a year. The 6th Night Fighter Squadron was the first to receive the new aircraft. The squadron had already seen combat in the Pacific, flying the Douglas P-70, a night fighter developed from the A-20 Havoc. In early March 1944, the 6th was pulled back to Hawaii to prepare for delivery of the new night fighter, which began arriving in early May. A short time later, the squadron was checked out, and its pilots began their long flight to Saipan.

Because Saipan was constantly raided at night by Japanese bombers, there was very little time for the 6th to get adjusted. Its crews were almost immediately thrown into demanding night patrols.

Isley Field, Saipan:

The first unit to receive the P-61 was the 348th Night Fighter Squadron based in Florida. A training unit, the 348th prepared crews for deployment to Europe. Additional training facilities were also used in California. While night fighter squadrons overseas transitioned to the P-61 from other aircraft, such as the Douglas P-70 and British Bristol Beaufighter, many Black Widow units were formed from scratch in the United States. In February 1944, the first P-61 squadrons, the 422nd and 425th, shipped out for Britain.

These aircraft were unique and on July 16, Lieutenant Herman Ernst scored the P-61's first kill when he downed a V-1 flying bomb. Moving across the Channel later in the summer, P-61 units began to engage manned German opposition and posted an admirable success rate. Though some aircraft were lost to accidents and ground fire, none were downed by German aircraft.

V-1 and V-2 Launching Areas:

I tried to keep the campaign as historical as possible with correct dates and times that I've been to accurately research. Due to limitations of the flight simulation some minor deviations were required, however, these deviations do not detract from the historical value depicted in this campaign.

I hope you enjoy.  :)

*See Read-Me file for skin artists.

Campaign has been submitted to M4T and is awaiting approval.  Download link to follow shortly.
Sincerely, DHumphrey

DHumphrey

• Missioneer
Re: Bite of the Black Widow
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 06:14:11 PM »

The campaign has now been approved and can be found here:

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads3&file=details&id=2578

Enjoy  :)
Sincerely, DHumphrey

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 06:20:05 PM »

Sounds exciting !  8)  I will try it.

Many thanks DHumphrey !

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

duffys tavern

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 07:01:01 AM »

Hey, neat idea. Now something to do with the P-61. BTW where did you get the Isley Field map? Looks great.

NIGHTFIGHTER

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 10:09:02 AM »

many thanks DHUMPHREY ! great campaign...Back in love with Night fighting!!!! 8)

DHumphrey

• Missioneer
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 01:14:02 PM »

Hey, neat idea. Now something to do with the P-61. BTW where did you get the Isley Field map? Looks great.

It's the Marianas Expanded (Dave 0D06) map. The map gives you a fare version of the Japanese "Aslito" airfield prior to the invasion of Saipan. Then I "heavily" updated it with concrete.  :)
Sincerely, DHumphrey

duffys tavern

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 01:31:05 PM »

Well a nice job indeed.

DHumphrey

• Missioneer
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 02:04:25 PM »

Well a nice job indeed.
Thank you Duffy.  :)  Something I also did in the campaign, the photo above is the completed airfield, but the player will see the airfield go through it's building phase as the Pacific missions progress through the campaign. The campaign is broken down into two phases, the Pacific and Europe.  :)
Sincerely, DHumphrey

mechanic

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 10:28:41 PM »

I loaded this campaign into the Missions/Campaign/US folder in BAT WAW3 (Pathfinder 3.3.1) and get a "Mission failed to load" error message. If I recall DHumphrey may not be a BAT-man, so this campaign may not be compatible by design. Just wondering if another BAT user has successfully installed and run this campaign - or if someone can tell me if there are prerequisite mods to a successful installation. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Mechanic

Toobone

• Mapper
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 04:56:54 AM »

I loaded this campaign into the Missions/Campaign/US folder in BAT WAW3 (Pathfinder 3.3.1) and get a "Mission failed to load" error message.
Citation from http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads3&file=details&id=2578:

Compatibility   v4.12.2m HSFX v7.0.3

mechanic

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 02:19:03 PM »

I had seen the HSFX compatibility reference but was wondering if a more sophisticated BAT user than me had had any success to share in adapting this to BAT. In any event I sorted through the .mis files myself by going through FMB and determined that the load fail related to the Class air.p61A_early used as the aircraft in DHumphrey's missions. This class aircraft is not in BAT.  Editing the missions through FMB and replacing the  Class air.p61A_early with the Class air.P_61A_10 that is in in BAT, then saving as bw-01.mis and then swapping the new bw-01.mission for the original bw-01.mis in the DHumphrey campaign did the trick.  This worked for loading the first mission and if I am able to fly the mission without other object load issues I will go on to edit the others to see if I can Bat-icize the remaining missions. I did note that (at least) one of the animated ground vehicles DHumphrey used to populate the airstrip had square grey rotating tires in BAT. I'll have to hunt down the type of vehicle and swap it for a BAT ground object.  Just something to do.

DHumphrey

• Missioneer
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 11:18:47 PM »

Hello All,

Mechanic I'm glad you're able to make some headway on converting the campaign for B.A.T. users.  After you changed out the plane to a B.A.T. user friendly one did the mission go well for you? I think that the maps I used are all B.A.T. friendly, this has always been my concern when converting to another version of the sim. I hope the conversion goes easy for you as this campaign is a pretty fun one to fly and I think you B.A.T. men/women would enjoy flying it. 

:)
Sincerely, DHumphrey
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 26 queries.