Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does no one play multiplayer?  (Read 2438 times)

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
Re: Why does no one play multiplayer?
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 09:35:21 AM »

Our little group is online 3 times a week but we host ourselves vice using HL as it's only us vs an AI opponent using DCG.

Dimlee

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 12:24:55 PM »

Pardon my ignorance Dimlee , but what is an SFB  Connector ?

Kopfdorfer

Well, this is one of those "IL2 connector" tools. Created by Shouldercannon. You can manually input all servers known to you and then see their status with some details including hardness settings. And to connect to the server with one click.
It can be downloaded there:

P.S. There was another great (and more sophisticated) program called IL2 Connect (according to the title "created by Alezz, Hruzz and pwl). But probably not compatible with latest Win versions.

Edit:
I have removed download link since there were security concerns (Storebror's post above).

Dimlee

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 12:29:20 PM »

what is an SFB  Connector ?
Another way to lose your data: https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/b8e115bb147d89e454a36799563e020ef3341d7d1f5730aa411d62fbb9a5e717/detection

]cheers[
Mike

Well... Probably depends where it is downloaded from?
It has never been blacklisted by Kaspersky which I used until 2014, neither by 3 other AV programs I used since then, on 3 PCs.

Paulo Hirth

• MOD is Life!
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 10:56:13 AM »

Dear Paulo ,

While Ping IS a factor in your enjoyment of online flying , it is not a major detriment these days.
                   I fly several days a week with pilots from US , Canada , UK , Australia , New Zealand -
                   literally right around the globe.
                   We would fly with many more nationalities if time zones and language were less significant factors.
                   Ping is a MUCH less significant factor than uniformity of install.

Please bear in mind that the goal ought to be to encourage online flyers , not discourage them.

Kopfdorfer

My case is very specific, I live in Manaus, in Amazonas, very isolated until the rest of Brazil, and here this type of game is unusual, but when I travel to São Paulo it becomes possible.
   Interesting that in 2003 to 2007, with dial-up connection I could play online, I was part of MOH SQUAD, it was a very good and intense phase.

_Hans

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 01:35:48 PM »

I imagine multiplayer has slowed down for a bunch of reasons.

My memory might be a little hazy here...I left the online element of IL-2 some years ago...

At the time I left, mods had been introduced, but no unified mod packs existed, a different website was the center of IL-2 mods in the English speaking parts of the internet.  Access to IL-2 modding tools was VERY tightly restricted, and you essentially had to be one of the authorized few to get them.  Without unified modpacks, random "pick up games" between groups of people were limited exclusively to stock slots anyway.  If you wanted to play a game with mods you had to organize beforehand for everyone to get exactly the same stuff or there was trouble.

It was the written policy of the other site never to touch or alter at all stock slot planes.  Despite that there was a loud "mods are cheats, modders are cheaters, to mod is to hack" voice out in the community, I seem to recall the dev team trying to interfere with mods in several ways, can't recall for certain.

Again my memory might be hazy, but I seem to recall at that time that IL-2 felt "complete" only when playing Eastern Front missions and campaigns.  I remember people complaining that the entire western front including Italy, Africa, etc, was limited to dogfight maps.  I remember complaints that the entire "Pacific Fighters" thing felt terribly rushed and incomplete and people felt let down by it.  There were no battleships or cruisers modeled other than the British ones which were used as "generic" battleships for the US, IJN, etc.

My own personal experience was that mods were slowly improving the game, but breaking the online community down into smaller segments.  I had a few friends who had gotten into flight sims back in the days of Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator.  They had been waiting for *YEARS* for a West Front expansion and when things like the Cannon UK channel front beta map came out, or the "Italy Africa Greece" map came out, and we started modding our games with Spit MK1's and 109E1/E3s and stuff, we kinda broke off and did our own little online games.

Then the guys I knew and myself all got busy with graduating, going off to work, etc, and that was it.  Just too busy to come back.

Edit To Add:
I should mention that other than mods there have obviously been other developments.

For some reason, I seem to recall that near the end of my time playing IL-2 online, I seem to recall that 'Cliffs of Dover' was released, a segment of the community, for whatever reason, left to play the new COD.  I recall that COD was found to be quite horrible, and some of them came back to playing IL-2.  But I have to imagine that every time a new sim came out, like Battle of Stalingrad, etc, people were pulled out of the IL-2 1946 community.  Then when you had to consider that as patches came out, some of us stayed in our own modded versions rather than upgrade and start again, there were version switchers since different people played different patch versions, etc...

My feeling was that it just kinda fell apart into smaller groups and then, since there was no longer one big community but many individual smaller ones, it was easier for those smaller ones to die out one at a time.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 25 queries.