Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: SAS BoX Server ("The Flying Ass Clowns")  (Read 33755 times)

SAS~Skylla

• Flying Ass Clown N°24
Re: SAS BoX Server ("The Flying Ass Clowns")
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2018, 03:47:17 AM »

One mission objective is that a certain number of ground objects need to be destroyed in the northern ground battle area. After a certain time this objective gets achieved by both sides automatically since the tanks there are shooting at each other, too. Ground pounders have the possibility to accelerate the time needed.

Normally a player therefore has to complete only three objectives as the fourth is being achieved automatically after some time ;)

P.S. Anyone noticed that external bombs don't show up in tracks? Happened to me with the Il-2 1941, but possibly more types are affected. Need confirmation and please report if adequate.
I haven't noticed yet since I don't watch tracks in game too often. I'll check it out.
When all else fails: read the instructions!

sniperton

« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2018, 05:29:46 AM »

I haven't noticed yet since I don't watch tracks in game too often. I'll check it out.

Never mind, false alarm, I fooled myself  :-[
As to the rest, one has to be very careful not to kill all artilleries too soon, or he has to start it over again after 30 minutes or so when the mission rotates due to the map won :D

sniperton

« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2019, 03:10:18 PM »

Sorry for having been a pain in the ass, but I just wonder how Mike could take out that KV1?
Did you finally crashed onto it, or what?
Yesterday I made some experiments with the BK37, and the 9th hit could disable the tanks's track, but otherwise it seemed fully invulnerable until I crashed onto it in my usual kamikaze manner.
Anyway, I'll try to set up this bloody headseat I bought, because speaking seems still easier than typing while crashing into the ground. :)
Thanks guys for showing me around on the battlefield.

SAS~Skylla

• Flying Ass Clown N°24
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2019, 12:21:30 AM »

Sorry for having been a pain in the ass,
You were absolutely not. No need to excuse for anything. On the contrary, it was very nice to have you flying with us.
We are by no means some elitist club here. Everyone is welcome to fly with us, and we are more than happy to see people like you joining in once in a while. Even better if on voice comms too. Looking forward to hear you next time as well :)

And, I wouldn't dare to call myself 'expert' as well. The average length of my virtual lifes speaks for itself there :P

I just wonder how Mike could take out that KV1?
Did you finally crashed onto it, or what?
He flew an attack run against that tank before he collided with it during pulling up. But the collision was definitely the main reason for the tank getting killed there  ;D

Yesterday I made some experiments with the BK37, and the 9th hit could disable the tanks's track, but otherwise it seemed fully invulnerable until I crashed onto it in my usual kamikaze manner.
Haven't tried the BK3.7 since the latest patch yet, but from experience with other ground pounders it seems that we're now fighting against the concrete version of those tanks.
On yesterday's Henschel sortie for example I destroyed two T-34 tanks, depleting my whole load of 80x 30mm into them (roughly 30 must've been hits as seen in the stats).
I also had to fly several attack runs against the second T-34 with the 20mm once the 30's where depleted. Timeframe for the whole attack was about half an hour.
Almost the same observation was made when flying IL-2 with 20mm loadout + bombs & rockets.
I don't want to complain about it, but destroying tanks got a little harder as it seems.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2019, 12:43:10 AM »

Hi sniperton,

Thanks for joining us yesterday, it's been fun while it lasted ;)
Indeed I took out the KV-1 by crashing into it, albeit not intentionally.
I've scored three hits with the MK-103 on it from short distance, damaging the KV-1 by 5.1, 5.7 and 4.0 percent each. Further hits might have been able to take it out, or maybe not, who knows...
I've been extremely low, so eventually on the pull-up my tail wheel struck ground, and disaster took its course.
The tail came back up, the nose down, pull-out wasn't possible anymore... instead, props struck ground as well and I ran front-first straight into the KV-1.
Incidentally, if I would have managed to lose my tail wheel at any time before this happened, I would have made it over the KV-1, albeit barely.

See the sortie details are here: http://www.sas1946.rocks:8000/de/sortie/log/10057/?tour=1
Picture story below...

Initial hits, note the ricochet which is usually MG-17 ammo just bouncing off the KV-1's armor plates:

1st good hit right on the body/turret connection, note the damage shrapnel effect:

Further hits from short distance...

See next MK103 103 bullet right before hitting the turret. This was the last good hit:

Now I've been trying to pull out. See how the tail strikes the russian steppe here:

My life's last split second:

The bang. Note the details, I've been coming from top right, remaining parts of my plane are on the lower left of the KV-1 and top-left you can see an MK-103 bullet ricochet up in the air:

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

sniperton

« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2019, 05:12:54 AM »

Thanks guys for the nice words and the great pics.

My attempt with the BK37 can be seen here: http://www.sas1946.rocks:8000/en/sortie/log/10021/?tour=1

I made altogether 6 passes and hit the KV1 3+1+1+4+1+1=11 times with a cumulative damage of 69.7%. It was finally the blast of my crash that destroyed it. Average damage per hit was ca. 5.5 to 6.5%, so I estimate that 15 to 20 hits would have destroyed it in any case.

As you can see, my approach angle is somewhat steeper, and I start firing from a greater distance.

2nd pass:

After the 5th hit the KV1 is already smoking.

Now the interesting part. One might think it was a perfect and decisive hit, but it only registered with 5.1% of damage:

This one, on the other hand, registered with 17.9% and disabled the tank's left track.

One has to be disciplined. There's a tendency to start consecutive attack runs at lower and lower altitudes, as happened to me here, where I needed some luck to avoid crashing.

And this is my last hit before the bang. Too low, as you can see:

bomberkiller

• Treffen sich zwei Jäger...!
  • Modder
  • Bf-109G-6/R6 = Bomber Killer
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2019, 05:29:16 AM »

...sharpened  ;)

8)
FAC N° 9 ...cheers mein Schatz

sniperton

« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2019, 06:11:12 AM »

Beautiful, BK, next year Mike can use it as a Christmas or New Year's greeting card image.

Dagwoody

« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2019, 10:26:56 AM »

Having trouble finding "everything" spawn locations on "Clowns" map and cannot seem to change map' zoom level. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

SAS~Skylla

• Flying Ass Clown N°24
« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2019, 10:58:38 AM »

blue side works just the same.

Dagwoody

« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2019, 11:24:25 AM »

Thx, adding mousewheel to my trackball as we speak!

Unca-Fester

• Graduate of the Dirk Gently School of mucking about.
  • Modder
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2019, 04:17:58 PM »

So how is the ROF clone in online play. Is there any interest in WWI?

I've been looking to fly online WWI ever since I just missed TargetWare's Richthofen's Skies server getting shut down by a week back in 2008.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 25 queries.