Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 ... 107   Go Down

Author Topic: graphics extender  (Read 284081 times)

slibenli

• IL-2 Graphics Extender
Re: graphics extender
« Reply #420 on: February 01, 2019, 03:54:10 PM »

Jeepers, I'm really starting to wonder if there's something fundamentally wrong with my IL-2 install, or if I'm missing some kind of dependency.
Good news is, the game no longer instantly crashes to desktop when loading a QMB mission. It now freezes. I left it to run for a couple of minutes, but it didn't progress. I had to kill it via task manager.

il2ge log - https://pastebin.com/cj0vFdPV

I apologise for the persistence of this issue and thank all of you for sticking with me on it so far.

That's really strange. The log indicates that object reflections were being rendered, which shouldn't be the case when water=0.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #421 on: February 02, 2019, 12:26:48 AM »

As for the curiously low resolution, the reason I keep it that low is because my install, even without the graphic extender, has a habit of crashing as soon as I set it to a higher resolution, both through the in game options menu and the il2setup program. Also, for some reason, the resolution set in the conf.ini doesn't seem to carry over, as everytime my game crashes, the desktop resolution is at 1280x960, which implies that the game set it this low while running...
That might be an issue for a seperate thread though, as changing it doesn't seem to have an effect on my problem with the graphic extender.
That really needs to be sorted out first.
In this condition, your game hardly qualifies for anything but fixing that major issue.

Looking at the conf.ini you've posted, as a first measure I'd suggest to do the following (all of them in one bunch) in the "[window] section of your conf.ini and then try to run the game again, preferably wilthout IL-2 graphics extender:
  • Set "width" and "height" to the physical dimensions of your screen
  • Set "ChangeScreenRes=0", "DrawIfNotFocused=1" and "SaveAspect=0"
  • Set "DrawIfNotFocused=1" and "SaveAspect=0"
  • Set "SaveAspect=0"

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

LambdaNorth

« Reply #422 on: February 02, 2019, 06:52:09 AM »

As for the curiously low resolution, the reason I keep it that low is because my install, even without the graphic extender, has a habit of crashing as soon as I set it to a higher resolution, both through the in game options menu and the il2setup program. Also, for some reason, the resolution set in the conf.ini doesn't seem to carry over, as everytime my game crashes, the desktop resolution is at 1280x960, which implies that the game set it this low while running...
That might be an issue for a seperate thread though, as changing it doesn't seem to have an effect on my problem with the graphic extender.
That really needs to be sorted out first.
In this condition, your game hardly qualifies for anything but fixing that major issue.

Looking at the conf.ini you've posted, as a first measure I'd suggest to do the following (all of them in one bunch) in the "[window] section of your conf.ini and then try to run the game again, preferably wilthout IL-2 graphics extender:
  • Set "width" and "height" to the physical dimensions of your screen
  • Set "ChangeScreenRes=0", "DrawIfNotFocused=1" and "SaveAspect=0"
  • Set "DrawIfNotFocused=1" and "SaveAspect=0"
  • Set "SaveAspect=0"

]cheers[
Mike

Settings changed accordingly and il2ge removed for testing. The game runs fine and loading a QMB mission works now, but the resolution remains at 1280x960. The dimensions set for width and height in the conf.ini have no effect, and setting them via the in game options menu once again causes the game to crash, although it does briefly load in the correct resolution before doing so.

I get the impression that il2ge might not be the problem here, or rather, might be acting on something else that is wrong with my IL-2 install. Should I move this issue to another thread somewhere else?

EDIT: A log.lst isn't generated either, despite the parameters for it in conf.ini being set.
Former lurker, semi-experienced user and aspiring 3D-modeller.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #423 on: February 02, 2019, 07:59:28 AM »

Yep, I see.
Your game is installed under the "C:\Program Files (x86)" tree.
That's a special protected tree where apps need special permissions to edit files.
Copy the whole game folder "IL-2 Sturmovik 1946" to another location outside the "C:\Program Files (x86)" tree, e.g. to "C:\IL2".

]cheers[
Mike

LambdaNorth

« Reply #424 on: February 02, 2019, 12:01:17 PM »

All issues resolved!
Turns out that the location of my install was the problem all along.!

Thanks you, Slib and Storebror for helping me get this mod running! Resolution problems are solved as well!
Former lurker, semi-experienced user and aspiring 3D-modeller.

Flying H

• "And you can fly, high as a kite if you want to..
« Reply #425 on: February 02, 2019, 01:30:15 PM »

@Storebror, Shouldn´t there be a text somewhere on top of everything else telling newcomers "DO not extract your game into "C/Program Files! ever" (or something like that) It seems that we have quite a few new players  ( and some not so new) who doesn´t know about the program files problem. Just a thought from an oldie.  8) ;)
And you can fly, high as a kite, if you want to.........

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #426 on: February 03, 2019, 12:35:32 AM »

Now that the very first thread in the "New Member Safety Area", the very top pinned one, in the very first post of it already states that the first thing you should do when modding IL-2 is to copy the whole IL-2 game folder to some other location outside of that critical area... what else should we do?

]cheers[
Mike

Flying H

• "And you can fly, high as a kite if you want to..
« Reply #427 on: February 03, 2019, 10:06:02 AM »

Maybe hope that newcomers really read the "NMSA" carefully! But I think many of them disregard that and try first then jump directly into the helpsections! You remember  what we wrote years ago, "RTFM".
And you can fly, high as a kite, if you want to.........

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #428 on: February 03, 2019, 11:17:33 AM »

Yep, probably we need a "new members package" shipped to anyone who signs up on the forums.
It should include a spoon (for us to feed them with) and a coupon for one month of free 24/7 support on site.

]cheers[
Mike

slibenli

• IL-2 Graphics Extender
« Reply #429 on: February 04, 2019, 06:55:28 AM »

shardana

« Reply #430 on: February 04, 2019, 07:14:26 AM »

I’m sure a stupid question but do you think one day we could have this impressive mod capable of running with water=4? I use flybies Sounds from Tiger and they run only with this setting in conf

slibenli

• IL-2 Graphics Extender
« Reply #431 on: February 04, 2019, 08:02:03 AM »

Just checked it - yes it's possible!

But why do sounds require a specific water setting?
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 ... 107   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 23 queries.