Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Info about SEOW  (Read 4915 times)

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
Re: Some Info about SEOW
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 04:16:13 AM »

something is not right. the SEDB74 ref file 100+mb according to Thor takes a few hours. i left it overnight (at least 12 hours) and this morning it still says at least a day to go and it was less than a quarter done. I stopped the process.

Kopfdorfer

• Potez 63.11 France's most significant AC in 1940
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 06:30:56 AM »

Check and see if your Ref Database is up - set your MP location and try to open a map in the MP.
If you can , it likely means you were loading databases for each and every map
- this is fine ; it means you are equipped to run multiple simultaneous camapaigns !

What Thor didn't get to in his tutorial yet - he will in the next installment ,
is that most users enable one or two full databases at a time for the theatre of
the campaign(s) they are working on.

((I may not be correct as I have never gone through the entire process , but I suspect this is what you have done
- if you have the space it is not an issue. I hope Thor will chime in here with proper advice and not my conjecture.))

Kopfdorfer

tomoose

• Modder
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 11:07:00 AM »

KD;
Ackd.  Thor's video specifies going to the largest, "reference" file so perhaps that's a bit of a red herring.
I'll try it.  If it doesn't work I'll just load one of the "specific" databases (e.g. Solomons or WF).

Tomoose

Kopfdorfer

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 12:30:06 PM »

No the Reference File is VERY important.
When you start to modify the Database for a given Campaign ,
you will need the "reference" IE Vanilla Database to compare to in case
of any technical difficulties due to self modification.
If I sound healthily cautious or even a bit paranoid -the latter more likely - it's
because my own experience in manipulation has required me to use the Reference DB to
troubleshoot and correct human errors - mine and mine alone.
Now , you are much more tech savvy that I am , but when you start to modify the SEDB for your
campaign - which you will want to do (I would bet my fortune on it) -
the reference DB will be essential.

Kopfdorfer

tomoose

• Modder
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 04:20:02 PM »

KD;
I get your points about being able to modify the database etc but I think I'll have to give up on this.  After over 12 hours (no exaggeration) using Heidi there's still only 39.7 MiB "loaded" of the 184Mb Reference file.  That's insane.  There's no way it should take literally days to load a file that size in this day and age. 

I tried using the smallest file (Coral Sea) and the initial message on that was 4 hours and that is for a 3Mb file, again, wow!  I haven't seen those kind of estimates since the '80's and dial-up modems LOL.

I freely admit I'm probably missing something.  I'd love to play around with this as I can see that SEOW seems to go way beyond what DCG does but unless there's some method or step I'm missing I'm putting this down before I hurt myself!!!  ;)

Win7
Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.8GHz
24 Gig RAM (16 Useable)

VARP_Thor

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 09:44:56 PM »

There is a method to speed this up. Like i said i am using HeidiSQL. This is not the best software on the planet, but is simple for me and that is why i like it. When it comes to database initial loading where it need to create all the tables it is damn slow. Reference database is huge to create and it takes forever. The good thing is that you don't need it, after you have created it once, and it is just sitting there on your server until next major update which is  once in 1-2years. If you are in a hurry to make it rolling, please use SQLyog 64bit program for initial load of databases. It is at least 10x faster.
Process:
1.Log to your sql server with it
2.Right click and create database ie. sedb74_reference
3.Right click on created database and select Import, Execute SQL script
4.Select the database

You will notice light speed comparing to Heidi. You can continue with SQLyog if you like it even after this, because it can do the same thing and more...only faster. For my taste in normal use Heidi is better, but it is a meter of taste:) Later when your campaign will need saving and loading of database with data inside, it will be matter of minutes not hours.
Cheers,

Thor

tomoose

• Modder
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2018, 06:30:04 AM »

Thor;
OK, I'll give it a shot, thanks for the suggestion.
I'll report back.
cheers,
Tomoose

tomoose

• Modder
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2018, 09:05:36 AM »

SUCCESS!!!

I would HIGHLY recommend "SQLyob Trial 64" instead of Heidi.  I started the Reference loading, went for groceries and it was done by the time I got back (approx 1 hour).  The Okinawa database was done in less than a minute.

Kudos Thor on your last minute org chart in MS Paint in your video, LOL.  As I suspected it appears that SEOW is DCG on steroids (and much more).  I'm exhausted now from following the video and setting things up so will have to pause before exploring further, LOL.

Thanks for your patience.
Tomoose

tomoose

• Modder
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2018, 09:12:20 AM »

UPDATE:
Probably getting ahead of myself here but when I try to initialize the campaign in SEDCS it is looking for an SEOW .mis template.  Where do I find it?

Disregard that last sentence.  I used a Guadalcanal template by 242 Sqn as a test.  The campaign started OK (I guess) in that icons showed up on the MP etc (which I now have to learn how to use).
How do I stop/reset a campaign because I accidentally started this one using June 2000 as the start date, d'oh!!
I try to 'flush' the database but it's prompting me for a password which I apparently don't have ("password" and "admin" don't work).

Kopfdorfer

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2018, 12:04:06 PM »

The default password for DB flush and Add Forces Tools is "penguin".

I am sure you can change it if you wish.

Kopfdorfer

tomoose

• Modder
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2018, 12:31:05 PM »

Kopfdorfer;
ackd and thanks.  Sorry to be a pain.  As mentioned I managed to initialize the Guadalcanal campaign by 242.
I can see some icons on the map which provide info when the cursor is over them, pretty cool.  I tried to create a mission following the "Plotting an Air Mission" instructions from the wiki
but I don't get any list of waypoints after clicking the mission time as mentioned in the instructions....nothing happens after I select the mission time.  I tried "immediate" as shown here and also an hour later but no joy.  Clicking on the map does nothing except provide info when clicking on the existing unit icons shown here.  Again, I'm probably getting ahead of myself or perhaps used the wrong template to test with.

VARP_Thor

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2018, 01:02:45 PM »

It looks to me that there are errors or just a script problem.
I am watching football match now..national team. I’ll explain later if I won’t be too drunk :-|
First check when you right click on the map do you get SEOW related commands. Go to Internet explorer-compatibility and add your server...it should be something like 127.0.0.1.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 20 queries.