Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: CityBuilder and other funny programs  (Read 6216 times)

mandrill

• Modder
Re: CityBuilder and other funny programs
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 06:02:41 PM »

One idea might be to make Berlin very much smaller than it was. Under the point of playability there ist no need for cities spreading over kilometers, i think. Foto textures are not a solution in my eyes. More trees and parks may help, it seems they don't cost as much fps as buildings, but i'm not shure about this. Nevertheless i'm afraid it will be impossible to create a halfway natural looking and playable big city.  BTW, how do you want to create the chanals? I tried to build  small rivers but failed completly.

Novekat

I can make small rivers 2 pixels wide. You draw a 2 pixel 000 line. Then blur it, so it doesn't look jagged. Then I draw a 2 pixel 000 line down the centre of the blur. Then reblur the new black line in a very tight area inside the existing grey blur.

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 06:40:07 PM »

This is over the River Spree looking west towards Gatow and Spandau.

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 06:42:34 PM »

This is a canal from the Spree through north Berlin.

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 03:26:31 AM »

Upper picture: Sarajevo by the method essentially that described by Mandrill.
Lower picture: narrow river as a series of  objects on Yugoslavia map at Tirana.

Yugoslavia map is here:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/v3nelhh3djgmyd2,7b77nqsfnsz5p0p/shared

Hans-Joachim Marseille

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 05:52:53 AM »

@ Mandrill: Wow! that looks fantastic I seriously wanna ask you if maybe you would publish new maps (or templates) for German Cities - that would be awesome! Hamburg, Dresden, Berlin as they should be. This is a new chapter in map making and for mission. I am working for years on a Hamburg-campaign but never been very happy with look of the city. Keep it up u guys!
"United we stand against Evil." #FCKPTN. #SlavaUkraini

WhiteCat

• Modder
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 06:48:50 AM »

My two cents on this: Mandrill's and Uzin's cities look really awesome.
For my map of Kyushu I was thinking in use any of those, or the east front cities repainted by Cyberolas, which pretty much always use the Paris Compans textures, but last night, looking into postcards, old photos etc, I arrived to the conclusion that pre-bomb Nagasaki and 1930's Fukuoka look much more like Cyberolas Singapore city texture so I will focus on that one.
Also: In my opinion the main problem of heavy populated cities is not the FPS (which can be improved if you put few different types of buildings) but the pop-up distance and the destroyed buildings that right now look too black at least in the Pacific front. I am going to work on that, I hope to give you a nice surprise soon :D

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 11:34:32 AM »

I would be very interested in any feedback, White Cat.

I have 2 WIP maps. The first is Berlin and essentially East Germany and Western Poland. It's for a 1945 campaign or "Defence of the Reich" campaigning.

The second is Northwest Europe from Brunswick to London, UK. It includes the North Sea coast, the Ruhr, Antwerp, Northern France and Holland and East Anglia.

I have been using Canon city textures. (That's what Berlin is currently based on). The question is how populated can the cities be without the map being unplayable. As well, if you're doing a Defence of the Reich campaign, is it worth populating ANYTHING except airfields if all your combat is at 20,000 feet?!

I have started making my own buildings for the cities, as well as repainting Canon and stock buildings.

I'll start WIP threads and put up some screenshots.

Nowekat

• Modder
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 02:15:41 PM »

The new version 1.2 understands also RGB textures now. The links are updated.

Nowekat

WhiteCat

• Modder
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 10:54:58 PM »

I would be very interested in any feedback, White Cat.

I have 2 WIP maps. The first is Berlin and essentially East Germany and Western Poland. It's for a 1945 campaign or "Defence of the Reich" campaigning.

The second is Northwest Europe from Brunswick to London, UK. It includes the North Sea coast, the Ruhr, Antwerp, Northern France and Holland and East Anglia.

I have been using Canon city textures. (That's what Berlin is currently based on). The question is how populated can the cities be without the map being unplayable. As well, if you're doing a Defence of the Reich campaign, is it worth populating ANYTHING except airfields if all your combat is at 20,000 feet?!

I have started making my own buildings for the cities, as well as repainting Canon and stock buildings.

I'll start WIP threads and put up some screenshots.

Call me purist but I would populate anyway. You fight high, but you take off from somewhere, and fight or a forced landing can take you low :)
You don't need to do a very dense population like Uzin's Sarajevo, look more into Cyberolas' Stalingrad. He achieved a realistic effect with a non-dense buildings amount :)

Nowekat

• Modder
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2018, 10:09:21 AM »

This is from the newest version. Anyone interested in this?

Nowekat

• Modder
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2018, 02:22:43 PM »

Nobody. Hm. But, gents, if its fun, time consuming and quite useless we call it a hobby. So here is version 2 of the progs:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/gq16jv5xg7y2yox/CityBuilderV2.zip

This version allowes a defined orientation of objects following a colour marking in the texture. So building lines along a street or other struktures are possible. For this you need a programm thats also included in the download and i called 3.degree.exe:

The program is better then its name, i hope, and paints the colour schemes for the objects orientation defined by the angles ruler.

Still hope someone will try these progs. Its to late for my own map, thats mostly ready and that i will post here in a few days.

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 04:17:40 PM »

Even I, who have only dabbled at the margins of map populating, realise the pure GENIUS of this program! Thanks!!!
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 27 queries.