Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IL2 1946 - using a mouse with two scroll wheels  (Read 1677 times)

Przemek1986

IL2 1946 - using a mouse with two scroll wheels
« on: May 28, 2018, 04:13:20 AM »

Hey guys.
I hope that I am asking my question in the right section of the forum :)

Well, I don't have a joystick but I have a gamepad and a mouse and it works really well for me...but not perfectly. There is one problem.

I use the left gamepad knob as elevator/aileron and I use the mouse scroll wheel as the trimmer. All the remaining crucial functions have been assigned accordingly (and comfortably) and are not of any importance here, so I'll spare you the details.
However, one thing that still bothers me is the throttle. At the moment I use the hat on my gamepad to control it (left/right: decrease/increase in increments; up:50% throttle; down:100% throttle). That basically means that whenever I want to adjust throttle, I must remove my finger from the steer (or I need to use my right hand, which means that I must let go of the mouse). As a result, for a couple of miliseconds, my aircraft is out of control.

Now to the point. The thing that would solve this issue would be a mouse with two scroll wheels. Luckily, I've found one:
http://www.enligo.com/nl/nl/products//00c7887329.html

My question is: WILL THE SECOND SCROLL WHEEL BE RECOGNIZED BY IL2 1946 AND WILL I BE ABLE TO ASSIGN IT TO MY THROTTLE? I really don't want to buy this mouse only to send it back because it doesn't work the way I want it to. I wonder if any of you have had any experience with this kind of things.
I thought that I'd ask here before I buy it, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks in advance!

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
Re: IL2 1946 - using a mouse with two scroll wheels
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 07:31:00 AM »

You cannot use a second mouse wheel "from scratch" - each mouse device in windows has max. one wheel only.
The second wheel on the mouse you've seen will mimic some other action (keypress or anything else), controlled by the software which is delivered together with the mouse.
This means that the question whether or not the second mouse wheel can act as throttle control in IL-2 solely depends on whether or not the mouse software can provide the required keystroke of joystick axis output.

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Przemek1986

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 08:17:29 AM »

Hi and thank you for your reply.

That's what I thought too, to be honest. And still, even if the mouse's software does provide such possibility, does IL2 1946 allow it too? No idea.

Basically, it means that I'll need to contact the manufacturer and/or find some decent YouTube reviews and read some comments written by the mouse's users.

Once more, thank you for your reply. I'll try to find out how it works and if I get some more info, I'll post it here.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 08:48:16 AM »

A common use case would be e.g. if the 2nd mouse wheel could issue one key press (repetitive) when the wheel is being scrolled up, and onther one when it's scrolled down.
You could then just assign "+" and "-" as keys to these actions and it would work in IL-2 out of the box.
But again, what's possible and what not strictly depends on the software shipped with that mouse.

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Przemek1986

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 10:09:48 AM »

Yes, that'd be great. I hope that it works like this.

Meanwhile, I have mailed the manufacturer of the mouse and now I'm waiting for a reply.
I told them that I'm going to use the mouse with a rather old game and, therefore, asked if there are any known compatibility issues.

Let's wait and see what they say.

Przemek1986

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 01:44:20 PM »

Small update.
The customer service suggests that I ask Ubisoft if it's going to work or not.
However, today I had a chance to test a Logitech G502 gaming mouse. It has around 10 programmable buttons and works just fine with IL2 1946. Now my right hand stays on the mouse all the time.
So, while the original question about the Speedlink mouse remains unanswered, I actually managed to find quite a successful stop-gap for my problem. The G502 seems really good.

Przemek1986

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 01:01:10 AM »

UPDATE:

I have just received a reply to my follow-up question.

What their customer support says is that, indeed, the second scroll wheel when assigned to a key (let's say G), produces repetitive "GGGGGGGG" output but...it works only during normal scrolling. When you do fast scrolling (like I planned to do, using the mouse as a throttle) the PC will not register all inputs and the mouse is going to "skip."

Alternatively, it's possible to assign the primary scroll wheel to the throttle (as the primary scroll registers all input) and the secondary wheel to the trimmer (as it demands only minor scroll movements and the skipping wouldn't be a problem.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 25 queries.