Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If you're using Greif's new forest side objects...  (Read 746 times)

WxTech

• Modder
If you're using Greif's new forest side objects...
« on: May 16, 2018, 08:29:30 PM »

I just today installed Greif11's forest side objects. These are simple 2-polygon rectangles supplying a section of forest seen from the side. Your use can look them where you like when using the FMB. He offers them in jungle, deciduous and coniferous variants.

Right away the 'shimmer' due to undersampling an image of high resolution for the displayed scale was bothersome to me. So I did some experimenting.

In the end I made two additional textures, of 'medium' (256 pixels) and 'small' (64 pixels) size. For the mesh I created two additional entries, to make 3 LODs in total, and set them to 300, 600 and 2000. In addition to enabling mipmapping in the .mat file, I set the medium resolution .tga have an opacity of 0.8 and the low rez one is set to 50%.

The net result is a shimmer-free object which (more importantly) transitions into and out of visibility much less jarringly. I think it's a big improvement.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

SAS~Bombsaway

• Choose your battles wisely.
  • SAS Team
  • A day without laughter is a day wasted
Re: If you're using Greif's new forest side objects...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 08:30:37 PM »

Pics?
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 03:25:17 PM »

Very interesting. I have seen this new tree-line forest mod before, I think it was over at Aviaskins, but I have
not had the time to install it and try it. I am still catching up with my new aircraft upgrades after many months on leave.

This new discovery may be a very welcomed upgrade to his cool forest mod.
I always admire Greif´s mods and his new ideas to make our game look better. He is a great artist!

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 05:19:48 PM »

Indeed, Max. I always feel that any work I do based on a foundation established by others results only because I stand on the shoulders of giants!
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 24 queries.