Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cockpit animation questions  (Read 966 times)

RobfromME

Cockpit animation questions
« on: May 14, 2018, 06:42:59 AM »

Good morning, all,

I've played Cliffs of Dover and IL2 Battle of Stalingrad & Battle of Moscow quite a bit using realistic settings, but I'm new to IL-2 1946.  I've downloaded all the BAT upgrades and everything seems to run smoothly.  I've noted the following items listed below, but suspect it's a setting I've not properly set up.  Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.  I've done some searching, but not found answers, at least using my search parameters.

Thanks in advance!

All my best,
Rob

A6M2 Zero:
Airplane trims fine, but no trim wheel movement occurs, and there is no trim indicator movement, but a "pointer" is seen above the wheel. (not a big deal as neither is important, but the trim wheel moves on other aircraft)
No flap lever/switch movement occurs, and there's no flap position indicator
No gear handle/switch movement occurs and there's no gear position indicator
No cowl flap position indicator in cockpit that I can find

BF-109E4 (perhaps others, only flown this one so far):
Radiator door acutator doesn't move
No radiator door position indicators in wings (are they modeled?)
No flap marks on wing flaps to tell position
No flap wheel movement when deploying/retracting flaps
No trim wheel movement when using trim

F4U-1A Corsair, 1943:
No handle movement or indicator in cockpit when changing cowling flap position (can easily be seen, though, out windscreen)
No trim indicator movement

FM-2 Wildcat, 1943:
No trim wheel indicator movement

P-51B-NA, 1943:
No coolant door position indicator
No coolant door actuator/handle/knob, or other mechanism noted
Open canopy shows in external views, but not internal views

WxTech

• Modder
Re: Cockpit animation questions
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 09:15:22 AM »

It would be up to the individual modeling things to decide what he wished to include by way of animated objects. I gather that even when the game was still in ongoing development there were some number of authors of content, and hence differing priorities. Once meeting some minimum standard for Oleg, additional 'candy' would have been optional. And the pressures of time to meet deadlines would constrain what was possible.

And so we have variation in the degree of sophistication from one plane series to the next.

That's where modders come in. For instance, a good number of planes have of late been given sliding/opening canopies.

But with the plethora of planes in the game, and the attractiveness of pursuing new projects, it'll likely be the case that 'retrofitting' original planes with the niceties of more animated parts will never be near to comprehensive.

You could learn Java coding, and with a bit of modeling work add such elements yourself. The field is open for all enthusiasts to dive in; the more the merrier!
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

RobfromME

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 10:46:46 AM »

Thanks, WxTech!

I'd never played the original IL2, Pacific Fighters, or IL-2 1946.  I bought IL-2 1946 for $5, and installed BAT up thru V3.3 after reading about it here and seeing all it had to offer.  I figured I'd play at first using the aircraft types included in the original, and tried the F3F first and it had most all the animations, but when I tried the A6M it didn't have any of the same ones the F3F did.  I figured it would as they were both original.  I guess I should have considered that maybe BOTH didn't have them originally and it was added to the F3F but not the A6M by modders.

I usually fly without any of the text prompts so it was a bit of a challenge to know if the gear came up or not, or what the cowl flap position was, etc. on the A6M!  Now that I know, I'll just turn it on for those airplanes.

If I had the computer skills, I'd think modding would be interesting!  I admire the dedication of those who do it so tirelessly.  They've created astonishing airplanes and systems not dreamed of in simulations just 10 years ago!

Once again, thank you.  I'd been trying for days to figure it out and search for it, but came up dry.

All my best,
Rob

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 01:31:35 PM »

Rob,
The F3F (the biplane that the Wildcat was kind of based on, right?) is not quite 'original', in that it came much later to the game than the Zero & Wildcat. For instance, Pacific Fighters was 4.04, where the Wildcat appeared, but the Zero (one variant only) was even earlier, if I recall correctly.  The F3F wasn't present in 4.09, I'm *fairly* sure. (I still haven't evolved past 4.08, believe it or not!)
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

Cloyd

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 01:38:45 PM »

I think Rob might have his nomenclature wrong. It might be that when he says F3F he means F4F-3. (My all time favorite plane.)

RobfromME

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 02:10:12 PM »

You gents are correct!  I out-typed my thinking (not hard to do these days!  ;) )  I did mean the F4F-3.  Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.