Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WxTech P-39 Cockpit for Stock P-39N-1 (and D-1, D-2, P-400)  (Read 16481 times)

WxTech

• Modder
Re: WxTech P-39 Cockpit for Stock P-39N-1 (and D-1, D-2, P-400)
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2018, 04:08:37 PM »

This mod addresses the stock plane, and involves no classfiles. Therefore it should be pretty universally compatible for all game versions which are mod activated. You should disable any other cockpit repaints for the P-39N-1, if you already have such, or at least be sure mine loads first (by having a lower value alpha-numeric name.)

Installing involves simply dropping the folder into your modded game's MODS folder (or whatever it's called in one's specific game mod version.)
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

mikojan3

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2018, 01:16:53 PM »

This mod addresses the stock plane, and involves no classfiles. Therefore it should be pretty universally compatible for all game versions which are mod activated. You should disable any other cockpit repaints for the P-39N-1, if you already have such, or at least be sure mine loads first (by having a lower value alpha-numeric name.)

Installing involves simply dropping the folder into your modded game's MODS folder (or whatever it's called in one's specific game mod version.)
today i have installed modact 6.4 confirmed worked fine. one of the best mod .the visual i love of your mods cockpits.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2018, 02:28:01 PM »

I love Wxtech's P-39 cockpit and I spend a lot of time in it (during my digital flying). Unfortunately, I've found some minor problems in it. They are not connected to WxTech’s work, but they are old issues done by Maddox team. Anyway, I hope that somebody will fix them soon... Here is the list:
1. The reduction gear oil pressure gauge (left down, at the parking brake handle) shows the wrong indication - all time underpressure (40 pounds). According to the P-39 pilot notes (P-39-Q-1, s.13), the correct indication should be in a range between 70-190 pounds. It corresponds to the green area of the gauge.
2. The propeller pitch lever moves in the opposite direction than it is supposed to (max RPM full forward, according to the USAF movie on YT and the textures in the cockpit).
3. The landing gear lights (red and green) don't work properly. The red seems to be connected to the power lever rather than to the landing gear. The green doesn't flash at all.
4. The lack of the mirror (the old photos prove that it was in the cockpit).

I've been tweaking the cockpit class (from 4.08, and alnost certainly the same for 4.09.)

Changes made so far:

1) Added the altimeter 10s of thousands of feet indicator needle.

2) Separated the action of the gyro and magnetic compass. The gyro now always indicates the heading and has crisp, instantaneous response, instead of mirroring the mag compass' sticking at high bank angle and lagging in response.

3) moved the cockpit night red light so that it no longer causes flicker on my gun sight.

4) Got the carb air temp gauge to show the environmental air temp.

5) Greatly reduced the hyper-sensitivity of the turn rate needle. Formerly it slammed from stop time stop with very small changes to yaw. Now it's in line with proper response.

----------------------

- The oil pressure gauge indicates the oil temperature! If someone would tell me the engine model parameter to replace:

fm.EI.engines[0].tOilOut,

I'll do that--or at least try. ;)

- From a ca. 1944 P-39K and L manual I found online, the red and green lights mounted on the L side of the roll bar:

Red... Illuminates when at low power setting and landing gear NOT down. Works in the game as it's more or less supposed to, when throttle is below 33%.

Green (blue in the stock texture, and perhaps I should revert to that)... Illuminates when testing the circuit for the explosive to destroy the radio. In hier.him, this is called XFlareBlue, and in the classfile is effectively deactivated (because we have no provision for "testing the explosives circuit". ;). ).

I've not looked into the prop pitch matter yet. Perhaps someone more knowledgable in this area can confirm or refute this, before I jump in.

When I feel like I've done all I can, I'll release the new stuff.

I found online a texture for the radio equipment, created by another bidder when he was undertaking a major rework of the P-39 several years ago. The project petered out without being released, in part because of a lack of some 3-D assistance from another person. I didn't find about this until just a few weeks ago, and almost by accident. I tried to contact the author for permission to use his texture, but no word back yet. I don't know if it would be safe to distribute this texture (even though it was posted on a public discussion forum thread.)

But this might be moot. Barnesy--over at the other site--has recently released a primarily external model rework,faith some interior work done. Of interest to me is the aft cabin, where the radio gear sits. If I am permitted to use this, I'd incorporate into my own project.

Better yet, Barnesy should grab my 'pit (I've given him permission) and do his smoothing work on the curved elements. I'm horribly inefficient at this because I don't have a capable 3-D package--I do my stuff with a spreadsheet, which is painfully laborious.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2018, 02:40:03 PM »

I must add this.

The cockpit class I'm altering does not incorporate the opening doors, for example. And there *may* (?) be other aspects that later game versions incorporate. This means that for the opening doors anyway, it would require another modder to look over the changes I've made and port them over to the more recent/modded classfile. Because they're basic functions that would apply to all versions, this would be straightforward.

If one is otherwise flying a purely stock plane, or has mods not altering the cockpit class, it *might* be the case that my tweaked classfiles (there are 4, as is typical for each cockpit) would be compatible with most or all game versions. But I would defer to anyone who has a far better handle on this than I do!

At any rate, with only the tiniest effort by another modder these changes would be available to all.

karo

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2018, 04:16:32 PM »

Hi WxTech!
It is nice to read that your work is in progress :)

- From a ca. 1944 P-39K and L manual I found online, the red and green lights mounted on the L side of the roll bar:

Red... Illuminates when at low power setting and landing gear NOT down. Works in the game as it's more or less supposed to, when throttle is below 33%.

Green (blue in the stock texture, and perhaps I should revert to that)... Illuminates when testing the circuit for the explosive to destroy the radio. In hier.him, this is called XFlareBlue, and in the classfile is effectively deactivated (because we have no provision for "testing the explosives circuit". ;). ).

I've not looked into the prop pitch matter yet. Perhaps someone more knowledgable in this area can confirm or refute this, before I jump in.

I wanted these lights to work like on a picture below, but if it is not correct (according to the manual) please forget about my ask ;)

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2018, 07:00:10 PM »

Karo,
What we see in your photo looks very much like a modern addition, or perhaps it's applicable to later models such as the Q? No such indicator is mentioned or shown in that L/K model manual I found...

karo

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2019, 07:32:22 AM »

Hi WxTech! Is there any progress at your work? A lot of time has passed since your last info :(

texaco

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2019, 11:57:46 AM »

Thank you! This is absolutely great cockpit.

Lagarto

• Modder
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2019, 01:16:07 PM »

Hi WxTech! Is there any progress at your work? A lot of time has passed since your last info :(

I second that! I discovered your cockpits and gunsights only recently, and I enjoy them very much. New gunsights for Spitfires (compatible with my 4.11) would be great :)

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2022, 04:09:52 AM »

Update, Feb 19, 2022: I offer a small add-on, in the form of a pair of night lights attached to the forward door frames. Go to the top of the first post for the d/l link.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2022, 08:18:42 AM »

I was informed of  couple of missing files in my little bolt-on addition. I had forgotten that I had made a few other changes after the May, 2018 release of this 'pit mod.

Such as adding the 10s of thousands of feet needle on the altimeter, and putting a new texture on the radio equipment in the after cabin.

Please try again if you too discovered my oversight!  :(

Epervier

• 4.09 Guardian Angel !
  • SAS Team
  • I'm French and Rebel_409! Nobody is perfect!
    • Some tinkering here
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2022, 03:56:26 PM »

Thank you very much !  :)   :)   :)
I took only the "CLight" mesh and installed it in my 4.09/UP2.01 folders cockpits (P-39N-1/P-39Q-1/P-39Q-10) !
Everything works fine!  ;)
If your results do not live up to your expectations, tell yourself that the great oak was once an acorn too. - Lao Zi -
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 25 queries.