Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Map of Cuba  (Read 11710 times)

VF-51_Cobraj

• Air Group 51 Commanding Officer
    • Airgroup 51
Re: Map of Cuba
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 12:11:29 PM »

I was also waiting for some progress on a Cuba 1:1 map that includes Florida and other islands. The JetPack and other BETA planes now being released would be fun to fly a Cubian Missle Crisis SEOW Campiagn. Is this the latest 1:1 map that would include the above US areas too?

Thank you

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 12:18:43 PM »

The Cuba is on hold for the moment ...too much other things to finish first ... and even at its present size it is a bit on the large size ... getting in parts of the us would make it even bigger and denser in objects ...

VF-51_Cobraj

• Air Group 51 Commanding Officer
    • Airgroup 51
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 01:20:25 PM »

So a map that size would be too large even with a majority of it being water? I also have alot on my plate right now but was considering an attempt on making such a map in a couple months. I have alot to learn (everything) but I'm a quick study. :) Are stock maps not all 1:1 ratio? I just assumed they were. I can see a reduced 50% map could be used but I would think you would lose the immersion factor doing a map like that.

Thanks again for a response.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 01:59:43 PM »

So a map that size would be too large even with a majority of it being water? I also have alot on my plate right now but was considering an attempt on making such a map in a couple months. I have alot to learn (everything) but I'm a quick study. :) Are stock maps not all 1:1 ratio? I just assumed they were. I can see a reduced 50% map could be used but I would think you would lose the immersion factor doing a map like that.

Thanks again for a response.

Most maps are indeed generally 1:1 but a bit different ratio is OK too, say instead of 50m = 1 pixel you can make a map of 60m=1 pixel as well ... but making a basic map isn't that much work. It's choosing the right textures, blending them and then populating the whole thing so that it looks halfway decent.

It's not size or ratios that make the immersion factor agreeable, but the way it is all put together ... especially the textures and how they look from a cockpit.

sosezi

• Bombers ~ Old flying Buckets is my Love!
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 11:38:13 PM »

Great map!! works well for me and all I need is Flight 19 simulation with some islands and etc so ... THANKS!!

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2019, 06:54:04 AM »

Can you saturate and brighten the colours more?

That looks a little dull and grey for a tropical paradise.

Rector

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2019, 03:26:21 PM »

Not stealing your thread I thought you might want this map for later on.  :D

The more maps the better ... never enough maps ... nor never enough members to populate them either ... a conundrum for sure ... ha ha

Thanks.

Is there still a chance to get the map mentioned in this file? The link has long since died ...

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2019, 03:40:43 PM »

Is there still a chance to get the map mentioned in this file? The link has long since died ...
[/quote]

I had no idea the link was dead. But sure, I can reupload. I just tried out the Cuba which I have on my install.

It is however not finished. I never got around to populating the map or making airfields (except for the obligatory one to save missions with). I have to say I think the textures could be better and that I may try and fix after I get another map done ...

As for popping the map, an auto pop would be quite large due to the many fields and villages. On airfields i have no info and no idea where to look. The map area in itself is large.

However, anyone wishing to take the map over for popping and airfields can be my guest. Nothing better.

Anyway I'll get a download link up shortly ...

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2019, 04:12:46 PM »

Here is a d/l link. I uploaded the old rar file i still had of the map, because apparently in my working install of Il-2 (DBW 1.71) Cuba is already included. That means i don't seem to have my old working files, the layered t/h/my_map files that are essential to making maps halfway decently.

Anyway, try this out. Should be a working version, but no static file to speak of, no popping, no airfields or other objects ...

https://www.mediafire.com/file/2qv2xqv74h3krea/Map_Cuba_v0.0.rar/file

Rector

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2019, 03:16:45 PM »

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm just learning how to use the Map Builder and the empty map of Cuba seemed to be a good object for experiments. Unfortunately - an attempt to "paste" an airport from another file causes the map to hang.

I meant above all my farang65 friend's files shared under the link

http://hotfile.com/dl/45543470/3d25a87/CubaFull.rar.html

which after 10 years turned out to be dead, which is a pity.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2019, 03:26:34 PM »

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm just learning how to use the Map Builder and the empty map of Cuba seemed to be a good object for experiments. Unfortunately - an attempt to "paste" an airport from another file causes the map to hang.

I will give placing a new object a try in map maker. It could be tht because of the map size - quite large - that some machines don't have the required memory. I also think that one of the older mods for Il-2 boosts memory allotment.

I think that before that mod was developed, actors could not exceed a very small size. Perhaps that is the prob?

Anyway, I will take a look and see if I can add objects to Cuba ...

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2019, 01:49:11 PM »

I opened this Cuba map in my map maker and had no problem adding objects. In fact, there are virtually no objects anyway in the static file except for the obligatory airfield and a few things.

I would think you might have a memory prob because the map itself is rather large in surface area.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 26 queries.