Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kokoda Track - a DCG campaign for BAT  (Read 2433 times)

vonofterdingen

• Missioneer
Kokoda Track - a DCG campaign for BAT
« on: April 12, 2018, 02:27:57 PM »

Warning: The notorious Von Ofterdingen, the campaign builder who tried the patience of a Buddhist monk, has retired from his real life job and has too much idle time! Well, we needed an Australian campaign anyway, didn't we?

A DCG campaign for SAS IL-2 B.A.T. mod pack by Von Ofterdingen.

Campaign Information

Download url: http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads3&file=details&id=2540

This campaign is based on the period from July to November 1942. From Wikipedia: The Kokoda Track campaign campaign was part of the Pacific War of World War II. The campaign consisted of a series of battles fought between July and November 1942 in what was then the Australian Territory of Papua. It was primarily a land battle, between the Japanese South Seas Detachment under Major General Tomitarō Horii and Australian and Papuan land forces. The Japanese objective was to seize Port Moresby by an overland advance from the north coast, following the Kokoda Track over the mountains of the Owen Stanley Range, as part of a strategy to isolate Australia from the United States.
Japanese forces landed and established beachheads near Gona and Buna on 21 July 1942. Opposed by Maroubra Force, then consisting of four platoons of the 39th Battalion and elements of the Papuan Infantry Battalion, they quickly advanced and captured Kokoda and its strategically vital airfield on 29 July. Despite reinforcement, the Australian forces were continually pushed back. The veteran Second Australian Imperial Force (AIF) 21st Brigade narrowly avoided capture in the Battle of Mission Ridge – Brigade Hill from 6 to 8 September. In the Battle of Ioribaiwa from 13 to 16 September, the 25th Brigade under Brigadier Kenneth Eather fought the Japanese to a halt but ceded the field to the Japanese, withdrawing back to Imita Ridge.The Japanese advanced to within sight of Port Moresby but withdrew on 26 September. They had outrun their supply line and had been ordered to withdraw in consequence of reverses suffered at Guadalcanal.

Some historians have called the battle the “ANZAC Thermopylae;” others contend that the Japanese had no intention of invading Australia. The truth probably lies somewhere in between these two positions, but the fact remains that that was bitter fighting during which both sides suffered extreme hardships in this battle.

Though based on historical information, much of the gameplay is dynamic due to the nature of Lowengrin’s Dynamic Campaign Generator (DCG).

The following careers will be available:
Royal Australian Air Force   P-40
Japanese Army                   Zero

Prerequisites & Compatibility

This campaign was written and tested using the SAS BAT mod pack. For information, see: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,53512.0.html

You must have installed Lowengrin’s Dynamic Campaign Generator for IL-2 version 3.48 or later. To obtain DCG see the Lowengrin website: http://il2dcg.blogspot.ca/

If you are new to DCG and wish to install it, I highly recommend this installation and usage guide from Lonestar:  https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=20872.0

Installation and Settings
•  Decompress the KokodaTrack.zip file and put the uncompressed KokodaTrack folder into your DCG home directory.
• Copy the Paintschemes folder from the KokodaTrack folder to your main game directory’s Paintschemes folder.
•  Make a backup of the DGEN directory in you IL-2 game directory.
•  Copy the DGEN folder from the KokodaTrack \DGEN directory and paste it to the main game folder. If prompted to overwrite files, click Yes.
•  Start the DCG program. Select FileOptional Third Party Data Folder.
•  Navigate to the KokodaTrack folder and select allcampaigns.dcg.
•  In the DCG main screen, select Mode  Off Line Career (Full Auto-Generation Mode) and Replace Career Generator (DGEN) in the drop-down menu.
•  Close DCG.
•  Start your IL-2 game. Choose one of the Nation/Career options listed above under Campaign Information and slick Start.
•  For best results, choose the squadron that is in the same ordinal position as the aircraft you select. For example, if you choose the second aircraft type in a list of three, choose the second squadron in the list as well. This will ensure that you receive the correct aircraft upgrades as they become available.

Compatibilities
This is a large and dynamic campaign; I have done testing, but testing a campaign of this scope is near-impossible. If you encounter difficulties, please notify me; solutions are usually available once I know the nature of the problem. Exploding planes on startup are the most common issue; if you encounter this please let me know (this is a problem that can be fixed with relative ease). I have created new Payload assignment files for this campaign, but as noted above it is hard to test all possible combinations.

Credits
Thanks to the SAS team for bringing us B.A.T., and Paul Lowengrin for the excellent DCG campaign generator. This campaign uses MrOblongo’s Kokoda Trail map.
I also used the following custom skins. Aircraft/Skin:
•   B-17: Shooter
•   B-25: Jarink
•   Betty: Buglord
•   KI-43: Harpia Mafra55
I am personally much indebted to Scharnhorst and Lonestar for their wonderful tutorials on the use and scripting of DCG campaigns.

Gubi

• Flying Ass Clown #34
  • Modder
  • RIP
Re: Kokoda Track - a DCG campaign for BAT
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 06:25:48 PM »

Well done VOD.  Well done.

I find, when farting around with my particular set up...I have a splendid time, mostly (less bugs and glitches...). 

So again well done and enjoy your retirement by making many more of these.

Cheers and prost.
I am a moron.

Shakaali

• Missioneer
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 08:40:04 AM »

Now, this looks great  8)

Thank you!

Retired people are usually very busy. That's because they have to do everything on their own time. Happy retirement, vonofterdingen!
"A truth ceases to be true when more than one person believes in it." -Oscar Wilde

vonofterdingen

• Missioneer
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 10:27:52 AM »

Thank you both for your kind words. I do indeed intend to spend more time doing campaigns, both DCG and static. I also want to give the Flying Ass Clown Sunday sessions a try eventually. I just have to gear up for the early Sunday start (I am in southern California).

vonOben

• Modder
  • Wer den Tod fürchtet, hat das Leben verloren.
    • vonOben's Flight Sim Mods
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 10:51:50 PM »

I do indeed intend to spend more time doing campaigns, both DCG and static.

That sounds promising for us campaign players  :)

I hope you will enjoy your "new life" as retired!
vonOben's Flight Sim Mods  http://vonoben.free.fr/ Twenty Years online January 3, 2022!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 23 queries.